Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controls...

Hi all,

I don't have ArmA yet, thinking about it - but still heavily into PR mod for BF2, so it might be a while.

One thing I was wondering...I used to love Operation Flashpoint, which seems to heavily influence this game (same engine?), but one thing I disliked about it was the controls. Really clumsy, especially when you got inside a building.

Is this game the same?

It's the one thing that might affect my decision to buy or not to buy.

Any input appreciated, cheers.
    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Re: Controls...

They added leaning which makes CQB much nicer. You can even use your gun model to "pull" yourself around corners.

The controls are still very "rigid" and locked into the animation system though. I think this is the #1 reason people are turned off by this game. It controls 'slowly'. It's mostly for realism but, in my opinion, it's overdone.

Comment

IMHO the controls are part of the learning curve. I agree it will make many people drop the game and I was one of those frustrated in the first 20 hours of play. I can safely say now, that the controls do become comfortable if not "easy" and that they do support the play-style of a low and slow tactical shooter.
      Last edited by Shiner; 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Yea, they are hard to get used to. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, couldn't hit anything. But now I hit something every once in a while!

But I am hoping that this will keep my interest up over time. I am not a twitch type player. And I lose interest when I constently get dominated not because the other players have a better positions or manuver but because they have a better "Aim While Jumping/spinning Around" ability.

It is kinda like speedball vs woodsball game.

In speedball I get owned. I am old and fat and don't like to throw tons of paint.

But in woodsball I can often take my time, manuver to a good position and waite for the shot.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
          IMHO the controls are part of the learning curve. I agree it will make many people drop the game and I was one of those frustrated in the first 20 hours of play. I can safely say now, that the controls do become comfortable if not "easy" and that they do support the play-style of a low and slow tactical shooter.
          Well, I downloaded the demo, and all I can say is "yuck" to the controls.

It'll take some kinf of massive encouragement to make me spend 20 hours with it to get used to them!
          7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
          And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
          - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

The biggest thing for me was removing the "dead-zone" look range so that when you move the mouse slightly it actually justs adjusts the aiming and doesn't turn the body. Turn this off and the game operates just like any other FPS, but with more realistic animation times (reloading, going prone etc).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X