Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain Arma

Whats the purpose of fighting in ARMA?

In BF2 things are flag cap driven. Thats how enemies meet, they both go for a the same objective.

From what I understand the maps are larger in ARMA, so what forces enemies to come together. If not flag caps, hows it work in arma?
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Explain Arma

Not just one game mode or goal...

you got "capture and Hold" where your team needs to capture and hold points for a certain time, then theres "capture the flag" where your team has to get into the enemy base, grab there flag and return it to your base before time expires, then theres "Capture the Island" where your team has to capture and hold cities on the island, then theres the greatest purpose of AA... Co-Op...perform warlike missions as a team against odds.

there...it ain't one thing it's a "virtual battlefield".
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Like Magnum said, there isn't just one style of gameplay in ArmA. The game is so flexible that it's really up to a mission designer as to what he/she wants to have happen. Currently on our servers we have missions that range from team coop (humans against AI) to team vs team (humans vs humans) territory control, and everything in between.

Note that I said "mission" and not "map." The "map" that comes with ArmA is a very large area that consists essentially of two islands, although there are some small islands off the mainland. On these islands there are many cities and towns, as well as rural areas with everything from desert terrain to mountainous terrain. Missions take place on the map and can vary widely. One mission may focus on urban combat in a city, where one team has to protect an electrical substation while the other team attempts to destroy it. Another mission may involve capturing a series of small towns and eliminating all of the enemy infantry and armor presence in each. Another mission may involve operations in a forest where a downed helicopter pilot must be rescued. The possibilities are almost endless. In fact, there's actually a series of missions we host called the Berzerk Series that features gameplay very similar to BF2 -- it's flag driven and involves one team of humans fighting against the other team of humans to maintain control. So you could say that the type of gameplay featured in BF2 is just a small subset of what's possible in ArmA.

As the mod community develops, we expect to see new maps (land masses) where even more new missions can be developed and played out.

Comment

I've been playing project reality as well, and I had a few questions:

How popular is Arma? Is it usually full like the Project Reality server? I wan't people to play with =P

How is the VOIP in arma? Are people able to effectively communicate?

How bad is the penalty for dieing? In Project Reality you generally only have to wait at most a minute before getting back into the fight. What is Arma like?

Thanks!

Comment

I played a bit of ArmA when it first hit the scene here at TG. PRM .5 came on the scene and stopped playing ArmA and got into PRM pretty heavily. I'll try to relate my experiences but since I've been inactive with this title there has been a patch or two and the server configurations have changed considerably.

From following the forums it seems we get two different classes of players and for lack of better evidence or time I'll say one group fits the TG style much better than the other group. The missions, for the most part, depend heavily on the cooperation of the whole team to achieve objectives. One or two bad eggs does a lot of damage to the play quality for the rest of the team.

Respawning time depends on the mission. Much of the content for this game is developed by Armed Assault communities like the one we have at TG. The game includes a mission editor and players can create their own missions. This allows the creator the opportunity to use their own criteria for a host of different things, including respawn time. Some missions allow respawn right away, some allow respawn a certain number of times and some don't allow respawn at all...once your dead you are out until the next mission starts...sometimes could be as long as an hour or two...(you think a minute was a long time???) The missions usually contain multiple objectives requiring cooperative play between players, often calling for involvement from various areas (transport, Armor, interdiction) to accomplish the mission. One mission I played involved commandeering civilian cars that needed fuel at various stops along the way to proceed. If you didn't get the fuel at the civilian gas stations than you ran out of gas and the mission failed...It's that kind of detail that is emblematic of this title.

More than any other game this title depends on quality play from quality players to be successful. TG is the perfect place to play this title. I suggest you go poking around the Armed Assault Forums. You'll find your questions answered there and then some.

For my part--I plan on picking up the US release by Atari and seeing if my CTD problems go away. For me this title is a perfect blend of fun and realism...and it is hard...
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Sling_Blade View Post
            I've been playing project reality as well, and I had a few questions:

How popular is Arma? Is it usually full like the Project Reality server? I wan't people to play with =P

How is the VOIP in arma? Are people able to effectively communicate?

How bad is the penalty for dieing? In Project Reality you generally only have to wait at most a minute before getting back into the fight. What is Arma like?

Thanks!
            It's not popular at all atm, especially since the server split. Generally there's 1-2 ppl on any of the servers, once in a while 4-5 might group up.

The in-game VOIP is terrible, to the extent of being unusable. But oh well, that's what TS is for.

You only have to wait like... 5-10 seconds to respawn (if respawns are on), but depending on the mission actually getting back to the action could take anywhere from a minute or so, to a quarter of an hour.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head Grunt. That's a very good description of ARMA. It's much different from the BF series.

Comment

It is a different game. I am really looking forward to TVT(team versus team) scenarios. There is a huge potential waiting to be harvested there. Real tactics can be applied in this game and it will, I hope, come to life there.
                --
                VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Yea, the thought of a big group of TGers trying to fight a huge running battle.....wow

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                    Yea, the thought of a big group of TGers trying to fight a huge running battle.....wow
                    Yeah, anyone who is on the fence with deciding whether to buy this game, don't even think twice. It's the game I've been waiting for for ages. I love the idea of commanding a squad of AI in the context of a huge battle where 60 other squad leaders are also fighting. We could actually put together pretty large units provided the server handles it all. Anyone know what the limits are before it goes kaput?

Comment

Originally posted by Souvlaki View Post
                      Yeah, anyone who is on the fence with deciding whether to buy this game, don't even think twice. It's the game I've been waiting for for ages. I love the idea of commanding a squad of AI in the context of a huge battle where 60 other squad leaders are also fighting. We could actually put together pretty large units provided the server handles it all. Anyone know what the limits are before it goes kaput?
                      My mission "Hold the Line" tends to lag the server with ~10 groups of ~6 AI, plus ~20 civilians and ~10 players, but it uses ehanced AI scripting that is CPU intensive. I would say you could have ~100-150 "active" AI units and the server could handle it.

Comment

I'd say once 1.07 goes final we'll be more able to fool around with large missions. As it stands now, a lot of people are gimped in these regards once the pixelation goes nuclear.

Also, Arma (more appropriately VBS) to me has and always will be a milsim, PR is simply a game mod. There's a huge difference. There are certain "games" out there the military uses for training tactics and even broad strategies- Arma is one of em. I remember back in the day the Army also used to run studies on WWII Online, which I used to play religiously.

Ocassionally, you'll hear me compare Arma to WWIIO. Reason being, and to me this is the MAIN difference between Arma/WWIIO and everything else; Arma/WWIIO requires large amounts of preplanning even before you spawn in. And once you spawn in before you even move out... yet more planning. This to me is half of the fun - sittin around the campfire (literally) shootin the shyt, tellin stories, while the officers are laying out the gameplan. Then "gearing up" (again, this takes time) so each man has EXACTLY what he/she needs to accomplish the goal. This is largely the "strategic" aspect missing from many games these days, as games can be won and lost before even firing a shot. Then once the crap hits the fan, you still have your fluid tactical "on-the-fly" gameplay everyone loves... only patience is needed rather than just quick fingers.

There's also an inherent ORBAT (order of battle) that can be maintained. Splitting groups into units, squads, and fireteams. Each with their own com channels, orders, etc. People can really get a sense of military order and try their hand at command.

Anyways, it's only going to get better once things stabilize and the scenarios keep flowing. PvP-wise eventually we'll scrim it out just like BF2.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X