Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiplayer tips for folks new to the game...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer tips for folks new to the game...

I thought I'd start a thread that focused on helpful game play tips for folks new to ArmA multiplayer. Let's see what all we can come up with to help the folks who are just getting into the multiplayer game.

Supplies are typically an important part of a mission, especially in extended campaign-style missions like Evolution. Not only do you need weapons and ammo to carry on the fight, but also fuel and maintenance for your vehicles.

Ammo and weapons are typically available from ammo boxes or ammo trucks. The locations of these assets can vary from mission to mission, and sometimes there may only be one or the other available. Typically, though, ammo boxes are located in bases or towns, while ammo trucks are usually available only in bases. Keep in mind that each faction (East and West) in the game has its own variety of ammo and weapons, so if you happen across an ammo crate in a captured town it may not contain the correct items for your faction (it may be full of AK-74 magazines and RPG rockets, which will not fit your M16A2 rifle and M136 rocket launcher).

Although ammo trucks are mobile, ammo boxes are not. So, if I'm in a mission where no ammo trucks are available, I'll typically load up a vehicle with extra ammo and weapons so I can have them available for my team and/or myself at an engagement. Most vehicles (even the civilian ones) have cargo space available to hold extra items, so it's a simple matter of transferring ammo and weapons from an ammo crate to the vehicle's cargo space. This can take a couple of minutes to do, but it's definitely worth it considering that your alternative may be to run out of ammo fifteen minutes away from your base (and yes, the playing area is big enough that this can actually happen). It would be quite a bummer to have to make a half-hour round trip just to restock! Even if you just throw some extra rifle magazines in the back of a HMMWV, it's better than nothing.

When ammo trucks are available, it's almost always wise to take one with you. If you've established a convoy of vehicles, be sure to include an ammo truck. Similarly, be sure to include a fuel truck and a service (repair) truck (if available) as part of your convoy so you can maintain your vehicles. Your Abrams tank may take a hit in a tread, or your HMMWV may take damage from small arms fire. Instead of leaving these valuable vehicles behind, you could use your service and fuel trucks to repair and refuel them, keeping them in the fight. Likewise, you could use an ammo truck to restock your vehicles when they ran low on shells, rockets, and/or grenades.

If helicopters are available in a mission, use these as flying supply vehicles. A Black Hawk can hold a respectable amount of ammo and extra weapons in its cargo space, so don't be afraid to stock it up from a nearby ammo crate before heading into battle. A good pilot can swoop in, resupply you and your team, and get out quickly. Take advantage of that asset.

As a conclusion to this tip, I'll just remphasize the importance of ammo and supplies in ArmA. Take the extra time to get you, your team, and your vehicles stocked up before heading into action. It's never good when you've run out of anti-tank rockets while clearing a town miles from your base and you still have two or three tanks left to bring down....

Re: Multiplayer tips for folks new to the game...

Oh..Not Everything, Including yourself, will respawn (Vehicles especially ..If you cannot fly..Practice in Single player or don't do it at all..(thats my strategy)) )...
    Treat everything like it's your last one... or it's Seagull time!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
      Oh..Not Everything, Including yourself, will respawn...
      ...depending on the mission being played. In some missions, there are respawns into nearby AI players. In other missions, there are respawns at a home base. In other missions, there are no respawns. Via script, it's also possible that players could respawn in waves after a certain amount of time, or after a certain event has happened.

The same is essentially true with vehicles -- depending on the mission, they may or may not respawn, and they may be set to respawn at various times and/or locations if they do respawn. It's all up to the mission author.

Comment

..Yep..so make the safe assumption you and your Blackhawk aren't coming back from that "bump" into the mountain..and all will work out well.. (again..for the Map newbs..)
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Another thing that can help your entire team work better together is proper use of the map. I want to go over this handy tool again to make sure that folks are aware of its importance.

You can bring up your map by pressing the "M" key (by default). You can zoom the map in and out by using your mouse scroll wheel (by default), and you can pan the map around by moving the map cursor to the sides of the map.

Views
          The default is a topographic view, which is a "detailed and accurate graphic representation of cultural and natural features on the ground," according to the Centre for Topographic Information. You can see contour lines; forested areas; mountains; streams, rivers, and larger bodies of water; man-made structures such as houses, factories, roads, airports, power lines, communications towers.

In terms of contour lines, there are several rules to note when viewing topographic maps (from Wikipedia):
          • The rule of V's: sharp-pointed vees usually are in stream valleys, with the drainage channel passing through the point of the vee, with the vee pointing upstream. This is a consequence of erosion.
          • The rule of O's: closed loops are normally uphill on the inside and downhill on the outside, and the innermost loop is the highest area. If a loop instead represents a depression, some maps note this by short lines radiating from the inside of the loop, called "hachures".
          • Spacing of contours: close contours indicate a steep slope; distant contours a shallow slope. Two or more contour lines merging indicates a cliff.

A short description of contour lines is available here.

By clicking the "Show Textures" button in the top right corner of the map, you can see an approximate satellite view of the terrain. This is useful if you want to get a better idea of what an area actually looks like -- a "bird's eye view," so to speak. Clicking the "Hide Textures" button will return you to the topographic view.

See various maps of Sahrani (the playing area within the game) here.

Grid References
          If you zoom in your map all the way, you'll see along the top and left edges a set of letters and numbers, respectively. These letters and numbers form a common grid reference coordinate system over the entire playing area within the game, and by using this grid system you can communicate any location to another player. For example, you could provide the coordinates of your position, or perhaps the coordinates of an enemy vehicle. View this Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to learn the proper way to announce grid coordinates to your teammates.

Markers
          Markers are a very useful -- yet often underused -- map tool in Armed Assault. These are simply icons that any player can place on the map to communicate information to other teammates. To place a marker on the map, you double-click on the area where you want the marker to appear.

When you double-click to place your marker, you have the ability to alter some of its attributes. You can change the marker icon by using the Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys to cycle through the various options available. You can also change the marker's color by using Left-Shift+Up Arrow and Left-Shift+Down Arrow to cycle through the various colors available. You can also type a label for your icon so your teammates will know exactly what information you're trying to convey.

Once you've chosen the appropriate icon, color, and text label for your marker, you can place it on the map by pressing the Enter key. If you want to remove a marker from the map, simply hover your cursor over the marker and press the Delete key.

VERY IMPORTANT! When you place a marker on the map, it will have a certain visibility based on your current VOIP channel. In other words, the VOIP channel you're in determines which of your teammates (and even enemy players) can see the markers you place. Here is the breakdown for marker visibility per VOIP channel:

GROUP -- markers are visible only to those in your Group
          VEHICLE -- markers are visible only to those in your Vehicle
          SIDE -- markers are visible to everyone on your Side (all friendlies on your team)
          GLOBAL -- markers are visible to EVERYONE on the server (including your enemies!)

You can switch between the various VOIP channels by using the "<" key and the ">" key (by default).

The reason for this channel-based marker visibility is to keep folks at various levels of the command hierarchy from having cluttered, confusing maps. For example, a single fireteam member in an infantry squad doesn't need to see the rally point placed by the Platoon Commander for another infantry squad half a kilometer away. By the same token, the Platoon Commander doesn't need to see some of the various waypoint markers placed by fireteam members and fireteam leaders as they maneuver toward their objectives.

The important thing to remember is that you need to be aware of what VOIP channel you're in before placing a map marker. Otherwise, some of your teammates may not be able to see it even though you want them to.

If you've placed markers that have become invalid due to changing events in the mission (a marked T-72 has been destroyed, for example), please take a second to delete them. It's important to keep the map as clean and uncluttered as possible.

Some handy ways to use markers:
          • mark your location, and/or the location of other friendly units
          • mark the location of enemy units
          • mark a desired landing zone
          • mark a desired area for a bombing/strafing/artillery fire mission
          • mark a series of waypoints through an area so everyone in your fireteam/squad can see the planned route, including the final destination
          • mark the location of valuable resources, such as ammo caches or repair vehicles
          • mark the location of disabled vehicles in need of repair/fuel/ammo
          • mark the location of forward bases
          • mark various objectives by color so each fireteam/squad will know its assigned task

You have a lot of information available to you when viewing your map. Hopefully this tip has given you a better idea of how to take advantage of it. Learn how to use your map effectively and you'll be an asset to your team.
          Last edited by Strag; 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM.

Comment

"VERY IMPORTANT! When you place a marker on the map, it will have a certain visibility based on your current VOIP channel. In other words, the VOIP channel you're in determines which of your teammates (and even enemy players) can see the markers you place. Here is the breakdown for marker visibility per VOIP channel.."

Wow!..I had no Idea.. Good stuff there... There are numerous times I am just hitting a Channel to get that particular communication out and not thinking it has an effect on other aspects of the game...

pear..
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

First, just started online on Sunday. Lots of fun!

- I've noticed that, later in the game, double arrows (-><-) with notes about vehicles that need repair are sprayed all over the map. Are there still vehicles that require repair at those markers? I've not had the inclination to use up ten plus minutes to drive over and find out.

- Another tip on grid ref, from IL2: if the grid ref is large enough, and in IL2 they are ten clicks per side, it becomes helpful to add another line to give a greater precision. I see the following frequently: AA39, 9 where AA39 is the grid ref and 9 corresponds to the keyboard number pad location. 9 is in the upper right corner, therefore the reference is AA39 NE corner.
              BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Originally posted by BarnacleofDoom View Post
                - I've noticed that, later in the game, double arrows (-><-) with notes about vehicles that need repair are sprayed all over the map. Are there still vehicles that require repair at those markers? I've not had the inclination to use up ten plus minutes to drive over and find out.
                That's a feature specific to the Evolution mission. The vehicles should still be there, awaiting repair and refuel.

Comment

Seems that I've seen a great deal of potentially usable vehicles out there then. It'll keep me somewhat busier this evening.
                  BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...