Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying, but first I want to know a few things.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying, but first I want to know a few things.

How strong is our community in this game?

How strong is the public community (i.e. do lots of people play)?

Is the learning curve really bad?

Will it run (intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 8800 GTS video card [640mb version], 2 gb RAM)?

Do you think it has the potential to be as popular as BF2 here at TG?

I ask these questions because I bought GR:AW only to find to realize that it quickly lost it's allure. I really only want to put money into games that have lots of playability (especially if the multiplayer is suppose to be a highlight).
    Thanks in advance for your opinions,

IRS
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Thinking of buying, but first I want to know a few things.

If you are already looking at this game, then you have likely found the realism alluring. If you are even just a little interested in this game, then I think it is safe to take the plunge and knock out $40 to pick it up. It has been worth it to me, and I haven't gone back to BF2: Project Reality since then. And it's fun.

Not sure about the strength of the community, hopefully somebody else can answer that one. Since the release of 1.08 this week the community is finally unified, instead of being split on different versions. If you played BF2: PR, I would say the ArmA community is about the same size, but growing. Anybody want to correct me on this?

The learning curve is steep at first, but you overcome it over the course of a week or two of game play. The control scheme is different from BF2. Don't try to remap it, you will get used to it. Especially don't try to remap the helicopter control scheme, because it won't work even if you set it like BF2. Chopper flight is more realistic and very much different from BF2. Just suck it up and go with it. While going through the learning curve, I actually considered once or twice that I had wasted my money and went back to BF2:PR. However, after giving it some more chances, the reverse has occured and now I play ArmA almost completely to the exclusion of BF2:PR. :)

I, too, got bored with GRAW, having only finished the first several missions. Amazing graphics and gameplay, but somewhere along the lines it just lost me. This game hasn't done that, and I can tell I have a LOT of game time ahead of me still.

On your setup, you will be able to play with most, if not all, graphics settings maxed. I run a setup that is about 14 months old from Alienware: an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+, Radeon 1900 XTX, 2gb RAM, and I run everything maxed and get between 15fps in the most heavily-forested areas, and 25-45fps and beyond in normal areas. That's also with 6xAA and of course 16xAF.

We are slowly siphoning some of the BF2:Project Reality people away. I think this game has great potential. Hopefully we will see an explosion in player numbers eventually, but right now there are more than enough servers and more than enough people to find a server and play on.

If you are considering buying this game in the first place, it is probably for the 'right' reasons such as cutting-edge graphics, realism, incredible potential for teamwork, and so on. This is the game you want to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
      Do you think [ArmA] has the potential to be as popular as BF2 here at TG?
      I doubt it. ArmA caters to a less mainstream playerbase than does BF2.

If you were an original Ghost Recon or Operation Flashpoint player, I'd highly recommend ArmA -- it's the next step in that style of FPS. In my opinion, comparing BF2 to ArmA is like comparing the CliffsNotes of a good book to the full text; both describe the same subject, but the complete book is much more nuanced.

Comment

How strong is the public community (i.e. do lots of people play)?

From what i could see SO FAR, not super strong, server gets going in the evenings mostly

Is the learning curve really bad?

it's bad but I personally got used to it pretty quick, it's alot more slow paced and based on your decisions

Will it run (intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 8800 GTS video card [640mb version], 2 gb RAM)?

my setup is really similar but with an 8800GTX, just make sure you get 1.08 and i think you should be ok?

Do you think it has the potential to be as popular as BF2 here at TG?

no, this is for the HxC super uber realism freaks who desire never to see the likes of those who run around like headless chickens :P

Comment

Arma has much more longevity built in than did GRAW. As Strag said, if you liked the original GR and OFP, this is excellent.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post

my setup is really similar but with an 8800GTX, just make sure you get 1.08 and i think you should be ok?
            I have been playing the demo and my framerate is less than desirable. Will getting the full version (v1.08) help for some reason?
            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
            83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
              I have been playing the demo and my framerate is less than desirable. Will getting the full version (v1.08) help for some reason?
              For many people (myself included), the v1.08 patch has provided a noticeable increase in framerates compared to previous versions. It was quite a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Will it run on my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 at even lowest quality?
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Welcome, Ednos! I wish I knew. Try the demo, and see how that works. If it is a little slow, apparently the newer patches up your FPS a bit, but don't expect it to be a drastic improvement.

I'd love to see you on board here with us Ednos, so I hope it works out. Keep us informed! :)

Comment

hehe, This will be the best 40 bucks you ever spent!
                    You could play a new map every day for a year and not play them all.
                    This game has so much replayablility that I think it borders on illegal :)

This game is not self-obsolescing. It will be around for years.

Comment

Hey IRS. Glad you are thinking about joining us.

One thing to keep in mind though. This game is big on patience. Either if it is playing or learning. If you be patient my friend, all kinds of possibilities will open up.

Comment

I really am interested in buying this game. Just the command setup was fun (being able to manage AI tasks other than attack/defend/move), and I love the sheer massive quality of it. I still am worried a little about performance. According to systemrequirementslab.com I can run this game worry free (I passed 100% in all areas, and that never happens). Still, my demo performance worries me.

I

Comment

Nice link! It says my system can run it too; maybe I *will* get the game.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Your processor is about the same as mine, if not a little better, and your video card and RAM are both better than mine. I can run the game on mostly high settings with no lag at all. You're definitely ok in the hardware department.
                            "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."

Comment

After my first session of online play and first time I have seen the evolution mao, all I can say is BUY IT!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X