Platoon Leaders Wanted!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platoon Leaders Wanted!

Breaking off from this AAR, I wanted to post a request for Platoon Leaders on our Evolution server. We're seeing games with 20+ players since the release of the v1.08 patch, and we're starting to see folks make use of the multi-channel TeamSpeak SOP to facilitate comms between multiple squads. What we need now is for folks to step up as Platoon Leaders to manage and coordinate these multiple squads.

I'd like to ask that folks who are interested in leading large groups in-game volunteer as Platoon Leaders. When there are enough players on the Evolution server (enough for two, three, or more squads), we need a person to say, "I'm taking over as Platoon Leader and will direct the overall battle." The Platoon Leader will then decide the platoon's next objective, coordinate the movements and fires of the squads, and direct transport and resupply operations. This sort of leadership could take team play to another level and provide for even better games.

For the folks willing to do this, your ideas and techniques would form the basis of an SOP(s) that the community could use to help shape future Platoon Leaders at TG, not only for ArmA but also for other games.

As on any TG server, a leader of this sort should be courteous to and respectful of the players under his or her command; what we do NOT want is little Hitlers running games on our Evolution server.

Re: Platoon Leaders Wanted!

Well I'm always up for this. Just some preliminary thoughts.

Break comms into squad not fire teams.

Platoons of 2-4 squads- squads of 2-3 fireteams.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
      Yar, and our TeamSpeak server is already set up for this. To realize it in Evolution, I'd think several human players could join a single squad in-game, and each of them would join the same squad channel in TeamSpeak as well. They could fill out the remainder of the squad in-game as needed by recruiting AI. Three or four of these squads, along with any armor and/or air elements, would quickly yield a platoon-sized force.
      Last edited by Strag; 06-19-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
        I agree .. 100%
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

To add some more depth to Strag's post. This isn't binding, but I would say the start of a framework for allocation of assets on the server:

What it means to be a platoon leader:
          A platoon leader is the designated "commander" of the Evo server. Unlike BF2, not everyone on the EVO server MUST participate in the platoon, however, once you have joined the platoon you ARE bound to obey the orders of the chain of command. Individuals not participating in the platoon are free to run side missions or work on clearing a town in another detachment/squad. However, the platoon will be considered primary for all combat actions taking place on the server. If an individual is preventing the platoon from accomplishing an objective they are considered out-of-compliance and will be disciplined.

A platoon leader's extent of control:
          As the primary combat group, the platoon leader has the right to request access to assets in Evolution that the Platoon Leader ACTIVELY requires. What this means is that a Platoon Leader can request the UH60 for use by the squads participating in the platoon effort. Individuals operating outside the platoon must respect the platoon leader's request for the vehicle, as the platoon presents a "greater need". On the flip side, a platoon leader is not entitled to say "All choppers are reserved for the platoon action." There is a balance here and we expect the platoon leader to respect individual desires to operate outside the platoon.

If the platoon has designated a target or goal, they have the right to control how that objective will be defeated. For example, the platoon leader declares he/she is taking the platoon to clear Cayo. Attacking Cayo is now under the control of the platoon leader. Other individuals operating outside the platoon must respect the wishes of the platoon commander. This means you are NOT allowed to jump into a chopper or tank and clean-out Cayo without direct orders from the platoon leader (even if you aren't in the platoon). This is necessary so a platoon doesn't spend 30 minutes getting ready to assault a town, only to have someone with a high rank roll-in and clear it. Again we need people to be understanding with each other about the benefits of more organized play.

If an individual isn't respecting the needs of the platoon, or a commander is over-controlling assets, the admins will help arbitrate these competing demands. As always issues with individuals and/or admins is to be PMd to the admin(s).

Comment

How long should I have been playing Armed Assault before I volunteer as a Platoon Leader?
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
              To add some more depth to Strag's post. This isn't binding, but I would say the start of a framework for allocation of assets on the server...
              Great points, Shiner.

To add to that, I'd say that a Platoon Leader should know how to use the ArmA TeamSpeak SOP and should make extensive use of it, and also that he/she should ensure that the rest of the platoon is using it as well. After all, how can the platoon function effectively if there are poor/no comms?

Comment

More fun stuff.. Squads should try and squad up with each other.

Comment

There is also an alternative for Platoon Leader solution for coordination problem; Coordinating Squad Leaders.

Step up as a SL and stay in touch with other SLs. Communicate and decide on a common objective and execution/coordination plan. Then focus on leading your squad as a part of the platoon.

I suggest SL-based system because it involves cooperative decision making and execution instead of just one person decide what's to be done. We (1stMIP) used both systems in two-squad platoon operations several times and concluded that not only it is more fun to work as two SLs, instead of 1 PL and 1 SL, it is also more effective.

I liked Evolution a lot and planning to explore it more. It was much more enjoyable than I thought.

By the way, you can create a new squad right? Is there a limit? (player limit is 30 I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                    There is also an alternative for Platoon Leader solution for coordination problem; Coordinating Squad Leaders.
                    The problems I see with that are what we're starting to see already on our Evolution server (and why I posted the request for more folks to start stepping up to the Platoon Leader role).

- Without an overall leader, who has the final say in what objective to attack next? How are assets managed if six or eight players decide to do side missions (see Shiner's post above).

- In larger games, a single Squad Leader may have eight or ten players in his squad. Without an overall leader, he has to worry about keeping his squad organized, supplied, and mobile; he has to worry about enemy contacts and directing his squad's fires with respect to those contacts; he has to worry about the movements of the other friendly squads; he has to worry about maintaining comms with the other squads. During all of this, he has to worry about his own situational awareness. That's a LOT of stuff to worry about. Why not shift some of that up to the next level of leadership so the Squad Leaders can just worry about their squads and not have to develop the overall strategic situation as well?

Remember, ArmA doesn't have a minimap where the location of every friendly player is displayed at all times. When a lot of players are on the server, just keeping up with friendly movements can be a chore, let alone keeping track of all the enemy movements. Plus, if you've got a chopper pilot ferrying respawns and supplies to your squad, you've got to worry about that as well. All of that stuff has to be set up and managed each time the AO moves to a different town. Evolution is complex enough that logistics actually come into play, and this is partly where an overall leader (Platoon Leader) would earn his keep.

Real armies have a level(s) of leadership above the Squad Leader level for the reasons above and for other reasons. Since ArmA is a sim, why shouldn't we play it that way as much as possible?

By far the best action I've seen in Evolution is when a player like tHa_KhAn or boudreux steps up and directs the action at a platoon level. Seeing everything work with that level of coordination is quite a treat! :)

EDIT: If we decide to remove ranks from this version of Evolution (as we did before), I think the Platoon Leader role will become even more important. Having an overall leader to direct the heavy assets like tanks and planes will be important in maintaining quality team play.
                    Last edited by Strag; 06-20-2007, 12:37 AM.

Comment

@Shiner....Amazing post. Great explanation.

@John_C....I see the merit to your suggestion. I think server size dictates the use of the joint SL decision making vs. Platoon leader. Let's say the server/platoon has 10 or less members, dividing into two squads and keeping up with the action is feasible. You start getting more than 12 you will need more than 2 little birds or other transports to ferry the platoon. This is where things start to get crazy. Remember, Evolution is a campaign. the logistics alone are mind boggling. See my AAR from Thursday last week. I had 3 support vehicles, the vulcan, and transport vehicle. I spent more time zoomed in on teh map directing the Blackhawk with passengers to a safe LZ, Keeping my infantry moving with the armor, and keeping the armor advised on what the Blackhawk was seeing from the sky. That's a full time job, but it's also a one man job. Two people would step on each other's toes trying to keep the platoon supplied and support vehicles in line. If we maxed the server we might need a platoon leader and he might need some more command staff to just assist on the logistics side without ever firing a shot.

I personally prefer being at the FTL or SL level in leadership, but I have no problem stepping up as a PL. A good PL however, will accept advice from the SL's as they are actually in the fighting and use those suggestions to make better decisions. Yet, the decisions are his to make and the platoon will live or die by them.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                        I think server size dictates the use of the joint SL decision making vs. Platoon leader. Let's say the server/platoon has 10 or less members, dividing into two squads and keeping up with the action is feasible. You start getting more than 12 you will need more than 2 little birds or other transports to ferry the platoon. This is where things start to get crazy. Remember, Evolution is a campaign. the logistics alone are mind boggling. See my AAR from Thursday last week. I had 3 support vehicles, the vulcan, and transport vehicle. I spent more time zoomed in on teh map directing the Blackhawk with passengers to a safe LZ, Keeping my infantry moving with the armor, and keeping the armor advised on what the Blackhawk was seeing from the sky. That's a full time job, but it's also a one man job. Two people would step on each other's toes trying to keep the platoon supplied and support vehicles in line. If we maxed the server we might need a platoon leader and he might need some more command staff to just assist on the logistics side without ever firing a shot.
                        This is exactly what I'm getting at. I've been in that same situation, KhAn -- glued to the map because there was so much stuff that needed to be coordinated. On a mission with a lot of players, there's just so much stuff going on.

Can, I definitely agree with you when there are only enough players on the server for two squads -- there's no reason to add another layer of leadership when it's not needed. But when we get into three-plus squads going (plus transport and supply), it just gets too complex to manage.

Comment

Just Wondering..What gives a Guy the Right to Declare Platoon Leader... If 5 Guys are on and I jump in and say..."Ok It's platoon Time.. Join up with me and Give me the the keys to the Blackhawk while you are at it" ...and the other 4 say no thanks... Does the Platoon leader get to cry foul when the A-10 leaves for Cayo and he wanted Delores.etc?

Just a lovely discussion point that May never come up in real life...
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I played both systems (SL-level cooperation and PL-directed CoC) and to my experience they both work very well Strag. There are pros and cons for each. My personal preference is for SL-level coop. because it gives all SLs a chance to contribute to strategic/tactical aspects of the game.

I am very new in Evo scene (played just one game so far) and was just proposing an alternative.

I am sure you'll agree with me on one thing though; no matter which system is used, it is always about willingness of players to cooperate and work as a team. And there is more than one way to do it efficiently. Lets explore together ;)

Comment

Just read Khan's post and I agree that having a PL seems to be a better solution for high population games. On the other hand, can we achieve same results by dividing PL's duties between SLs? Just to help the poor guy watching the map :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X