Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training

Hey guys.

I've Flown my fair amount in SP, but i would really like some training on how to fly, I think it would be a blast to be a transport pilot, specially if I can get to the point of quick insertions in a city or something like that.

Does anyone give training or up for helping me out?

Thanks
    Agnew

Re: Training

I would be up for this, only problem is work..... and mother-in-law. probably will only be able to be on for 2 hours a day this week between 10am-12pm EST, longer on wensday and sunday (days off) if you can get on between theys times just give me shout and ill try my best to teach you what i know

Comment

Since you have SP experience, just let people know you are new and learning and want to transport them. Many will be happy to ride along and offer any assistance.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Agnew, if you are half as good in the air as you are on the ground, ill jump in a helo with you any day!:) I have a little experience flying, i too trained a little in mission editor, but there is nothing like doing it in evo, with the weather closing, and AA about......

Comment

Pick your landing site while you're still on the ground shouting at people to get on your chopper.

When you're coming in for a landing, feel free to move your landing site closer to the action, but typically only if there are more hills to hide behind.

Don't trust your passengers generally when they say "don't worry, the lz that i gave you is clear". Tell them sorry, you'll play it safe with your fully-loaded chopper and land at your own LZ if theirs isn't satisfactory.

When flying in on your final approach to your LZ, don't listen to the passengers when they say "get us closer!". Land your five passengers or more at your safe LZ.

Two choppers cannot fit in between the buildings in front of the ammo crates. Do not try! :D

If there is fog anywhere along your route, make sure you have a VERY high altitude when traveling on the eastern island. There are many, many mountains that will come out of nowhere.

When it's nighttime and you're over the water, watch your speed and altitude indicator. Your chopper's orientation and the water below are both very hard to make out.

Don't blab too much on TS, really nobody wants to hear about how many passengers you're taking and where. Use text chat most of the time and make sure everybody is on the same sheet of music. I found this out when reading one of the AARs... :)

If this is too basic of advice, sorry. Maybe I'll write more later.

Comment

Thanks for the tips:)

I find it hard just slowing down quickly without gaining altitude.. and landing safely. I donno, i can do it really well im the Little Bird...85% of the time, the blackhawk i find much harder..

Ill try and hop in tonight i have drivers ed at 9am for the rest of the week so i wont be in to late this week i dont think.

Thanks
            Agnew

Comment

To stop quickly without gaining altitude do a sharp 90 degree bank and turn. This reduces speed without gaining altitude.
              Last edited by PanzerHans; 06-25-2007, 05:03 PM.
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Moore USMC (RET) View Post
                I would be up for this, only problem is work..... and mother-in-law.

Yeah...my mother-in-law is always playing Counter Strike too... Friken bunny hopper..! ;-)
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I take my job as transport pilot very seriously.

There are two methods to slowing down quickly in either the UH-60 or the LB.

The first is as you are just a couple seconds from passing over your LZ at full speed, ROLL that chopper so that it's basically all the way tipped over onto one side, and PULL UP HARD, turning you around in a 90' or 180' spin while your chopper continues forward. The important part is to watch your altitude and speed. If you begin losing altitude, flip on auto-hover immediately and take your hands off the controls. Or, after you have lost enough speed but not much altitude turn on autohover and hold the throttle down button while you descend, and make sure you LET GO of the button before you pass below 20m of altitude, or else you stand a good chance of totaling your chopper. After that just slowly lower yourself to the ground.

The second method is what I currently use instead of the ROLL and TURN method, which I used to use. When you are flying at full speed toward your LZ, watch your GPS (You should be using your GPS already when flying, so you don't have to check your map literally once every ten seconds while flying. Access it by pressing CTRL+M on your keyboard). When traveling at full speed, just a couple seconds after your LZ shows up on your GPS you should start pitching back enough to slow the chopper, but cause ZERO altitude increase or loss, unless you need to lose altitude for some reason. This is called bleeding off your excess speed. In the UH-60, I typically bleed it down to 150m/s as soon as possible until I am very close to my objective, at which point I slow down to 90-100m/sec and then about 60m/sec once I am doing my final, exact positioning. At speeds between 60-90m/sec, when you flare back your chopper to eat up the last bit of speed and slow down, your chopper won't increase altitude at all.

When using the second method, once I know I am about to be above exactly where I want to land, I flare back super-hard and then turn on auto-hover right before my speed hits zero, then I drop down slowly til I land.

I almost never parachute people in. You simply cannot parachute anybody under any circumstances into even a moderately forested area, because as soon as they or their chute hits a tree, the chute disappears and they fall 5-15m to their certain death. If you decide to do a mass parachuting in a safe drop zone, try to keep the chopper moving forward at at least 20m/sec, but don't go too fast. The reason to stay moving is because when you say 'everybody out!', they typically all click 'eject' at the same time and end up killing a couple people when their chutes collide. Jeepo can attest to this... :) Only drop people on land that is flat or on rolling hills, because their chutes will disappear early and they will be injured or killed if they land on steep terrain. Try not to drop them at extremely high speeds unless they are also very, very high because exiting at high speeds causes their chute to whip around in the wind for several seconds before it 'catches air' and starts slowing their descent.

Landing in cities is near-impossible, because the roads are just barely wide enough to accomodate a chopper, and the moment your rotors clip something you will start a chain reaction that ends in your chopper going down. If you try not to hit your rotors on anything, you will likely end up compensating a little too much to the left, then too much to the right, then the left, then right, then left, and next thing you know you've either gunned your throttle to increase your altitude out of their out of fear of crashing, or you've actually crashed into a building, causing an explosion that kills anybody and some vehicles within a 15m radius.

Every mistake that ends in a fatal crash causes several real, live people do have their fun delayed as they wait another five to ten minutes for me to grab a chopper at base, wait for passengers, and then travel back to the front lines. Any hard landings have a chance of causing leg-crippling injuries to my passengers.

I take my job as transport pilot very seriously.

Comment

I tried the chopper training mission, but the instructor is bugged--he says he's going to hop in, and he just stands there with his legs moving. As soon as I take off, my screen goes black, and it returns me to the ground. I decided I'd give it a shot on the Evolution server with the little birds, since they respawn. I tried to land because someone accidentally got in my helicopter, and I landed perfectly... on top of the hangar, destroying it and its contents.

If anyone wants to host some sort of flight training session, count me in as a student.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yea ednos the pilot is bugged, i cant do it either. But yea ill hop in to the EVO server and practice as a LB pilot for a bit, and if someone does host a flying lesson count me in to if i can make it.

Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                        I tried the chopper training mission, but the instructor is bugged--he says he's going to hop in, and he just stands there with his legs moving. As soon as I take off, my screen goes black, and it returns me to the ground. I decided I'd give it a shot on the Evolution server with the little birds, since they respawn. I tried to land because someone accidentally got in my helicopter, and I landed perfectly... on top of the hangar, destroying it and its contents.

If anyone wants to host some sort of flight training session, count me in as a student.
                        I had that happen to but after persevering I finally was able to get the mission going. It seems if you do anything slightly incorrect in the early part of the training, it returns you to the beginning. Further on, it has you fail the mission.

Not sure exactly what I did to get past that part but make sure to keep low altitude and try turning the chopper towards the first waypoint before taking off. Just guessing here but maybe that will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post

After getting in the chopper, just switch to the camera view (NUMPAD Enter) and he will start to move then switch back.

Comment

I got it once. You have to let him say his first sentence, then interrupt the briefing, and he'll start walking.
                            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I just went and tried the mission, which I also experienced the same problem on. Perhaps they fixed it under the newest version, because I didn't do anything except mount the chopper, and he immediately ran around to the other side and approached the chopper and got in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X