The CoC Command Engine for ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CoC Command Engine for ArmA

Thought you guys might want to see how the CoC Command Engine is coming along for ArmA. This is a batch of screens I used to show it off to ShackTac, it depicts our in-game organizational structure - the "ShackTac Platoon" - as seen in CEX.

In my eyes, CEX is going to be one of the most important mods we get in ArmA. With it, the process of coordinating a large group of players will become quite a bit easier, leaving more time for all involved to fight and requiring less time to painstakingly mark up the map with the cumbersome built-in marker system. Additionally, it can be utilized to control anything - you can have players controlling other AI units if you want, for instance. You could have CEX-controlled air support, or you could have one player on the OPFOR side acting as the OPFOR commanding officer, ordering the troops around on the battlefield and giving the players a smart, thinking enemy. The possibilities are vast, and I'm very much looking forward to this being released.

So.. on to the shots!

CEX is hierarchal. Here is a view of our platoon "collapsed" into a single icon.

Here is it expanded, showing both the squad and team icons. You can see the large Alpha/Bravo/Charlie markers, the Platoon marker, and also the teams.

Here is a look at the lowest level view. You can see all of the element icons and none of the higher-level icons. We will be able to color the squads per our TTP when the initial release rolls around, too, which is pretty slick.

Here's me ordering all of the squads to take positions along a road that is familiar to anyone who played Conventional Warfare. This kind of order is very easy to do - in this case, I selected each squad, gave them a rough move waypoint, then adjusted the individual team waypoints after-the-fact by clicking and dragging them to precisely where I wanted them to go.

Here is a bit later in that mission. I've ordered Alpha squad to Obregan. You can see how I've given them sectors of observation when they get to their final waypoint. You can also see that I was able to direct two of the elements to move down specific streets. I refine this in the next screen...

You can see in this one that Alpha squad has had their waypoints refined a bit. It's simple to add new waypoints or shift them around - click on the "line" to add a new waypoint, click and drag on a waypoint to shift it around. Charlie is showing their assigned sectors of observation in this, and Bravo is moving towards Mercalillo.

Another view.

There's more to it than that, and more will be added in future releases. For now, it's amazing. When we start using it in MP it will be even moreso. I'm really looking forward to it. :row__523:

Re: The CoC Command Engine for ArmA

That is quite impressive.

Comment

Um..What's CEX? I like the makers pm the Map... Looks like Kegety's script Client Side addon ones...
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

That is amazing. Can't wait for the release.
        "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."

Comment

Amazing.

Do i understand this correctly that one player can effectively (and efficiently ??) command an entire large group of AI soldiers?

So does this mean you could run Evolution (the same evolution we have been running all along) but this time have ONE GUY take control of the AI side and act as the brains and commander of the OPFOR? So instead of the AI doing their usual flank and kill (or flank and die) routine, they could actually be made to fall back and regroup into a more concentrated force if the OPFOR GUY felt his AI was being pinced?

If you say yes to this question, 2 things are true.

#1.

I am going to be your first volunteer for testing the OPFOR side.

#2.

<edited for crudeness>, but roughly translated, I will be changing my shorts.

: )

Sleepdoc
          Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Do i understand this correctly that one player can effectively (and efficiently ??) command an entire large group of AI soldiers?
            Yes.

So does this mean you could run Evolution (the same evolution we have been running all along) but this time have ONE GUY take control of the AI side and act as the brains and commander of the OPFOR? So instead of the AI doing their usual flank and kill (or flank and die) routine, they could actually be made to fall back and regroup into a more concentrated force if the OPFOR GUY felt his AI was being pinced?
            You are really limiting yourself by using Evolution as an example. There is so much more to ArmA than Evolution, and the CEX will shine brightest in scenarios that do not start with "Evo" and end with "lution".

:(

Comment

All I can say is.... SAaaWeeeeeeeet
              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
              E Pluribus Unum
              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                >_<

Comment

Looks very promising!

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                  Um..What's CEX? I like the makers pm the Map... Looks like Kegety's script Client Side addon ones...
                  The SIX_Misc addon (in the SIX pack with SIX_Tracers, etc) adds those markers and a bunch of other ones. I usually avoid using them since there's only a couple of us with it installed and it makes an error message pop up to everyone without it, but the addon does other stuff like showing where all the squad leaders are with those little rectangle squad markers.
                  |TG-Irr| Snake Doc

Comment

Count me in for testing! This is truely awsome indeed.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this. Now all we need is a solution to our jibber-jabbering talk-over-everyone-else commo system. I expect this mod to help organize TG's servers. Now all we need is ACE! Here's some interesting US military information about the Chain of Command:

In military lingo, the acronym "CoC" is pronounced "cawk". During interrogator school, we were taught an easy-to-remember method to exploit all possible information about a detainee's chain of command, using this mnemonic: "Down the CoC, up and to the right. Down the CoC, up and to the right". Other possible usage includes, "Dude, our CoC is really screwing us right now," and "Our CoC is really long and hard. To remember, I mean."

Our electronic ID cards are called CAC cards, or just CACs, prounced as "cack". Proper usage includes, "I need somebody to stick their CAC in the computer," "I need to register my CAC," and "Has anybody seen my CAC."

Comment

Timeframe how long we looking at befor this comes out..

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                          You are really limiting yourself by using Evolution as an example. There is so much more to ArmA than Evolution, and the CEX will shine brightest in scenarios that do not start with "Evo" and end with "lution".

:(
                          When i asked this question and you answered it, I had no idea what you meant. I was 2 weeks into ArmA. and no OFP in my past.

: )

that was a week ago and I am still very new. But I get what you are saying now.

None the less. For technical clarity, the question still deserves a simple yes or no answer to indicate that I understand what this thing does.

So? yes or no? is my described use one possible use of this? one guy playing opfor and controlling all the AI on the map as he sees fit based on developing strategies etc?
                          Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                            None the less. For technical clarity, the question still deserves a simple yes or no answer to indicate that I understand what this thing does.

So? yes or no? is my described use one possible use of this? one guy playing opfor and controlling all the AI on the map as he sees fit based on developing strategies etc?
                            Yes, you can have a human control an OPFOR force. However, I do not recommend you do that with Evolution. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                              Yes, you can have a human control an OPFOR force. However, I do not recommend you do that with Evolution. :)
                              Right. I got that "not recommended part". Was just trying to understand.

Need testers? I have a little experience in QA. And this looks like something I would like to grow with.
                              Sleepdoc

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X