No announcement yet.

ArmA Map Symbology - Where is the key?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA Map Symbology - Where is the key?

Please answer any of the questions below you know the answer to. refer to the letter designation i used to refer to the image so people can answer what they know and ignore others.

First, Where is the map key to tell exactly what all the little symbols and colors and dashed lines vs. solid lines etc means on the ArmA map?

Is this NATO standard symbology? Does anyone have a good read to talk to all of this? Dyslexci's map section, as nice at it is, does not answer much of this detail.

I get the terrain/elevation stuff. But there are clearly some additional nuances I am missing.

>>>>> 1. Colors (Black - Brown - Green - grey - red - Blue
    >>>>> 2. Lines (solid vs. Dotted vs. Dash-dot vs. Dash)
    >>>>> 3. Symbols
    >>>>> 4. Structures.

Take a look at this image and see my best guesses and questions about them below.

A. What are the differences between the

>>>>>> 1. Little Green Circles

>>>>>> 2. Litte Green Diamond

>>>>>> 3. Little Green Dots

>>>>>> 4. Solid green patch ( I assume this a patch of trees. please confirm)

B. A Blue Water fountain? I assume Blue always means water of some sort.

C. Bus Stops i guess

D. It appears the building son the left (3 in a row) are brown while the buildings on the right (2 in a row) are Black. What does Vrown vs. Black imply about a structure? Also note the dashed lines around compounds. Fence i assume?

E. Hmm.. not sure what this one is???? any one know?

F. More green dots. Bushes? shrubs maybe, implying low level concelament and not tall trees?

G. I assume the tall Black peaked symbols means abrupt and tall mountains? Please confirm. But if so, explain the meaning of the Brown diamonds as they realte to the green area (which i assume is forrest/dense trees)?

H. A gas station i guess?

I. Thre red diamond in a circle? I'm not sure.

J. Church. This i confirmed

K. Not sure. Maybe the electrical substation for the city?

L. hmmm..? a small church? Not sure.

M. What does the green horizontally oriented patch in the middle of this brown region mean? I noticed that tihs path is transparent and not solid. So I'm not so qiuck to assume it is simply a line of trees. Does the transparency means something? is it a reflection of overall density of trees?
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Re: ArmA Map Symbology - Where is the key?

I couldnt remember where I got this but here is what I have Glenn:

Comment

Thanks John_C. That is a start. but it only answered some, byt not all of my questions.

Please take a moment to look at the quesitons and see if you can add more detail. In teh meantime, I am going to go for a map tour in a heli and go from thing to thing so I can ge ta more exact understanding of these things.

Also, your key still left some questions like...

The red diamond. Caled a "Border"? what does that mean? does it mean one of those red and white bar gates like teh one desinged to stop vehicels at a check point? Im still not clear.

What is a plantation? I only know that term from the old south where cotton was raised and welathy families abused salve labor to get rich.

Is "radio relay" the same as the radio tower everyone tries to bomb so the reinforcements for a city can no longer be called in?

Where are the electrical substations for cities. We like to blow those out to shut off the lights at night. But how do we locate them for each city? whats the symbol?

What is a "view point"

Can anyone else speak to the other symbols mentionedin my initial post? especailly the meaning of green cirlces vs. diamonds etc?
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Green circle is a tree, green dot is a bush. That's why you'll sometimes see the circle with 1 or 2 or 3 dots on it's ring. The green diamond, AFAIK, is another type of tree. A big green patch is a forest or large group of trees.

Plantations are just that: A field of crops with excellent concealment when crouching, but with improved visibility because of the height of the vegetation.

BTW, have you tried asking for an official legend on the BIS forums?

Another thing you can is open the mission editor, zoom your way across the map looking for markers you don't understand, place the player on them and preview.

Comment

Shiner Is the Map wiz... He may be able to help...
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I've always referred to the solid-shaded green forests as "hard forests". The term comes from OFP (those types of forests had trees that could not be destroyed), and it carried over for me and my group in ArmA. It's a nice little comm thing that you guys might want to use.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X