Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD IDEA: Automatic Squad loadouts

MOD IDEA: Automatic Squad loadouts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pursuing EVO concepts at this time. I am not yet engaging in many non EVO mod discussions. I will eventually. But for now, no. This is becuase I believe that no matter the argument, EVO will maintain its role as a "new indoctrination" place for the the next serious tactical player who needs a place to learn the ropes. And since TG is commited to that balance between openness and yet a requirement for Discpline and maturity, EVO will continue to dominate this particular place. Also, if a large scale persistent Mission comes along that supplants EVO, these ideas will remain valid.

MOD IDEA: Automatic Squad loadouts.

MOTIVATION FOR THE MOD

What a collosal waste of time it is to pass weapons through humvees and to "constantly negotiate" with new arrivals on their load out. !!!!!

Current (Broken and out of control) scenario:

TG EVO puts a lot of pressure on a squad lead as he is preparing his mission and his men. Here is the scenario from last night and many nights before..

a. SL assembles his squad.

b. SL explains the mission and the required loadout

c. SL calls for Dedicated transport.

d. New guy shows up and asks to join.

e. SL repeats to him the load out and waits for him to get it. SL Repeats the mission

f. Guys move to little bird.

g. Man #6 arrives and requests to join.

h. SL repeats the load out. SM#2 has to get it for him cuz he doesnt have the rank.

i. SM#2 leaves heli, gets weapon, places in humvee, new guy gets weapon from Humvee

j. SL repeats the missions

k. SL calls for dustoff.

m. New guy arrives and asks to join mission.

n. SL feels guilty and holds the whole squad.

o. SL repeats loadout and waits for guy to get it.

THIS IS MY REALITY EVERY NIGHT.

A NICELY DESIGNED MOD COULD MAKE THIS INSANITY OBSOLETE.

SOLUTION:

Design and build a mod that allowed a squad leader to determine and pick every load for every member of his missions in advance of the mission.

So in my cae, I would have a set of 8 loadouts for every mission, and they would be a particular order. Then as new arrivals showed up and requested to be transfered to my squad, I AS SQUAD LEADER, can not only accept them into my squad. I can force a position on them in the squad which indicates their load out. and if my squad load setup only accounts for me plus 8, then after 8 guys arrive, my squad is full.

#1. I dont have to re explain the loadout and neither done anyone else. (comms traffic greatly reduced)

#2. Time is saved.

#3. By joining my squad, rank becomes irrelevant. I can bestow upon them any preplanned loadout i wish. even if they have negative points. after all, if I accepted them into my squad, i already trust them (or at a minimum, i can 'try them out" and give them a chance.

After all? isnt TG all about giving guys a chance? their negative score should not restrict them from getting the loadout i need them to get if I (or any SL) has approved them for entry into their mission.

MOD DESIGN:

SLs need a page they can go to where they can do a few things.

#1 define as many load out "sets" as they want. Load out sets MUST remain persistent from game to game. CANNOT reset when the server resets. if my UID is 123 and i return a wekk later, my loadoat sets that I made are still attached ot me.

For example, i would make a special forces load out set for 8 guys max. it would make everyone silenced but i might keep one slot for a sniper. but when people ask to join, i get to NOT ONLY APPROVE THEM, but force them into one of the 8 slots.

#2. Each load out set would get a name (like silenced special forces - radio tower main objective) <yea yea yea...oong name... i know..but i love things that spell it out)

Then this screen would show 8 miniature versions of the normal gear sceen, but have all teh available gear on the left, then 8 versions of it on the right. Each of the 8 positions in the loadout set could also get a unque name (lets call pos #1 through 6 "silenced assualt w/satchel". Postions $7 and #8 called Sniper overlook.

You guys getting this? Am I being clear.

Then I take the time on some leisurely 15 minutes to name each set and each position in the set of 8. Then i create the loadouts for each position in each named set.

Now, every squadleader has a unique interface at his disposal.

A. Access to choose a current set

B. Access to force a named position onto any requesting members who tries to join his squad.

SEQUENCE OF EVENT:

1. SL joins server

2. SL decides to take a night time mission to blow up a radio tower

3. SL, via his scroll wheel from inside some building (the transfer or the mission selection building) picks his "silenced special forces" set of load outs.

4. SL announces he is recruiting for a mission.

5. Recruit says "Yea, ill join your squad" and goes into the building and requests to join.

6. SL sees request and approves.

7. **** HERE IS THE NEW PART*****. After the approval, the SL is presented with a screen showing all 8 positions in is pre selected "silenced SF" squad set. He can either pick any of the predetermined slots or he can pick a 9th called "whatever the guys wants". If he pcks a predetermined slot, that guy is MAGICALLY LOADED OUT with exactly the load out you wanted him to have.

Then you can just tell the guy, "I made you a sniper. take al ook at your gear"

BOOM. hes exactly where i want him and with the load out I want him to have.

what a collosal waste of time it is to pass weapons through humvees and to "constantly negotiate" with new arrivals on their load out.

Can a modder make such a thing?
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Re: MOD IDEA: Automatic Squad loadouts

This Would Be Great!!And I been wondering why it has not been part of game the from the start.Giving us more time to do a "Mission",and having more fun with the short time we have to play this game each night.
    BlackSheepTx

Comment

LOL BS (that's your new name if your gonna keep calling me sheep .... LOL). I'm wondering why this post has been up for as long as it has, and has not yet generated a single response until now.

I think there are 2 reasons.

#1.

It is a long post. a post that requires someone read through detail ensures that the field gets paired way down.

#2.

There are far fewer Squad leaders than there are Squad members. And although squad members should realize that thier experience is hampered by this issue, they do not experience it directly, as do the squad leaders.

I hope this topic gets a head of steam soon. I'm discouraged, becuase I do not have any mod or script skills.
      Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM.
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

I just wanta Loadout like the Classic TRIBES game.. where you get a standard loadout and it's saved... you pick it on loading and when you go to the "Ammo Crates/Wep Crates" It's just picked.. Or you select "AT LOADOUT" "Sniper loadout" etc..
        Too many times I left base with 136 ammo and no Tube!! ;-)
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I want more than that Pear. I want to be able to force a loadout on a member of my squad the moment they join, if I so choose and they agree to aceept. bada bing. bada boom. no delays.
          Sleepdoc

Comment

In a Custom mission you can do that with SLOTS... You pick a Sniper and outfit that SLOT..then when a Player joins and picks Sniper...that's what he gets... Of course you throw a Crate down and all bets are off...
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I think the problem with this is that... you are wanting standardized kits, like 99% of other FPS... Well ArmA is nothing like those games... The point of the huge armory to choose from, is because each player has a different idea of what loadout they need for each job. And those loadout requirments change every hour.

Dont get me wrong. This is good idea. The list probably could be written in the "notes" in the notebook. The SLs would need to print them out or write them down, so you dont have to load the map each time....

Although somewhere, sometime a SL will need some item that is not on the kits loadout.
              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
              E Pluribus Unum
              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Angel.

i do not want standardized kits at all. Read my original post again please.

I want to define my own kits. and only for me when I am squad lead. only when I am squad lead. And i want to have a pool of pre designed kits under my command and at my disposal for when I am squad lead. they would effect no one other than people who want to join my squad.

Nothing standard about that like other games at all. its personal. And once forced, they could still use a box to make a change if it was needed.

I know how i like to arrange a special forces mission (for example). so i can save a ton of time as people ask to enter my squad. i can do it by forcing a "kit" on them (that i designedin advance) so we can just get going and not go through the crazy business we go throuugh now
                Sleepdoc

Comment

Glenn,

As a regular SL I am with you. It would be fantastic if a SL had control over weapons/equipment of squad members. Because SL runs the operation and he knows what will be needed and how it will be used.

I didnt reply before because I cannot help on technical issues and right now I am trying to solve the very same problem by developing SOPs.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                    Glenn,

As a regular SL I am with you. It would be fantastic if a SL had control over weapons/equipment of squad members. Because SL runs the operation and he knows what will be needed and how it will be used.

I didnt reply before because I cannot help on technical issues and right now I am trying to solve the very same problem by developing SOPs.
                    So then, John, who might be able to help and who might actually give a darn to do so?

I may be hoping for way too much, but i think a mod like this, along with Shiners EVO mod idea for requiring the requisitioning of assets, could take EVO TG to a whole new place that its founders (not necessarily all its players) want it to be.
                    Sleepdoc

Comment

But what happens to those soldiers who desire to be...

...TEH SN1P3R?!

Comment

Get them from the ammo crates, I'd assume they'd still be in there. While teamwork is of the utmost importance, we should let people have fun in their own little way, of course not to the detriment of others.

Comment

Originally posted by USARMY_JeonJiHyeon View Post
                          Get them from the ammo crates, I'd assume they'd still be in there. While teamwork is of the utmost importance, we should let people have fun in their own little way, of course not to the detriment of others.
                          Right.

this mod idea is not designed to limit people. only limit poeple who enter a persons squad. if I am squad lead, i want to be abel to do 2 things.

1. determine my squad members load out

2. force it on them fasr rather than brun a boodle of time getting them tehir equipement.

If you are not in my squad, then you should be able to grab any weapon your want. but ofcourse, that comes with a caveat. TG does not support lone wolfing.

If you came into my squad adn said "Hey...i like to snipe", i would probably say "great ... graba snipe rarifle and fall in... we will place you into postions of overwatch for our movements"

Even though lone wolfing is looked down upon, so are SLs who do not try to include everyone that wants to be included. if you were in ym squad and made note of your desire to be asniper, I would be obligated, within reason, to oblige you. (I say wtihin reason, becuase sometimes, i like to run silcend squads and there is no room for a booming sniper rifle....)
                          Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                            Right.

this mod idea is not designed to limit people. only limit poeple who enter a persons squad. if I am squad lead, i want to be abel to do 2 things.

1. determine my squad members load out

2. force it on them fasr rather than brun a boodle of time getting them tehir equipement.

If you are not in my squad, then you should be able to grab any weapon your want. but ofcourse, that comes with a caveat. TG does not support lone wolfing.

If you came into my squad adn said "Hey...i like to snipe", i would probably say "great ... graba snipe rarifle and fall in... we will place you into postions of overwatch for our movements"

Even though lone wolfing is looked down upon, so are SLs who do not try to include everyone that wants to be included. if you were in ym squad and made note of your desire to be asniper, I would be obligated, within reason, to oblige you. (I say wtihin reason, becuase sometimes, i like to run silcend squads and there is no room for a booming sniper rifle....)
                            What you just described is, 90% of the COOP missions other than Evolution. :)
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                              What you just described is, 90% of the COOP missions other than Evolution. :)
                              What I just described is 90% of EVO too. At least my expereince in EVO when I SL. That is why I made the mod request....

and this mod idea is far more needed in EVO than in coop. This is beceuase Coop missions (at least the ones i have played lately) have people mostly joining together to run the mission together. When everyone spawns in together,a dn loadouts together, it doesnt take too long.

In EVO, i have people joining in a staggered , "whenever" way.... This mod idea was designed to allow the SL to force the loadout on a new guy, arriving later, and saving everyone some time.
                              Sleepdoc

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X