Some questions from a new ArmA-player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions from a new ArmA-player

Ok, so I downloaded ArmA a couple of days ago, and I must say that it is not as easy to become familiar with as, lets say, BF2 or such. The array of various commands and buttons to press is almost a bit overwelming, but I guess thats just an issue of taking it step by step.

How ever, in order to try to not make a complete idiot out of myself, I have a couple of questions:

1) Last night I jumped on to the Evo-server, which had some 9 other players on it, and spawned on this very large base. I checked the map for a while, since I was a bit reluctant to grab any vehicle at the base since others might have better use for them, and believe that I managed to detect an 'assembly point' just outside a city and headed there in a Hummer [I noticed that others picked vehicles at will, so I did too...]. Now, this might just be me, but cooperation in ArmA works more on an ad-hoc basis than in, lets say, BF? Not wanting to disturb the ppl who knew what they were doing, I more or less tried to shadow them to see what they were up to. Not really a question, I know.

2) Teamspeak.
    I am not really sure how it works with teamspeak, and the only time I´ve used it was when playing Eve-online. In a game like this, or BF, I have no idea how to make teamspeak work while playing the game. I downloaded the 'recommended' key-bindings for communications and implemented them on my teamspeak settings. Now, I have my TS set on that I dont have to push any buttons in order to speak. Does that mean that I can load up ArmA, load up TS(running in the background) and join a channel, and then just play and talk? Or is there other things I need to do?

3) Teamspeak Pt.2
    I am a bit unsure if my TS setup works, since I joined the West-channel (most people there, and perhaps a chance to learn something by listenening in). But it did not seem to be much going on there in terms of speech. But after a while so was someone kind enough to point out to me (by text-chat) that I was in "my own channel", which I am not sure how to interpret. I guess what was said is that I was in some personal sub-channel or something of the West-channel, because my name appeared in the West-channel, but not in the same "row"/tab as the other names. Is this even possible, or do I have things wrong?

Anyone who can give me some pointers? Thanks in advance! :)
    sigpic
    The Royal Lifeguards

Re: Some questions from a new ArmA-player

1)Hop on TS, look for squad channel with people in them, join and ask if there's room. Once in game, join up with them physically.

2)The simple answer is yes, but I recommend Push To Talk and not Voice Activation. There's quite a lot of comms going on as it is. I use Caps Lock for my PTT.

3)Don't really know what happened here, as West doesn't have sub channels. Try downloading Teamspeak Overlay. You can see what channel you're in while in game.

If you see me around, yell out. I'll gladly show you around.

Comment

Ah, great! I will try that out.

But the default settings for speaking on the "Global channel" (which I assume is ArmA´s own ingame communications-channel) is Caps-Lock. So by having push to talk at Caps Lock, I will simply over-ride that feature? Or when I think of it, I guess I have to select an other key for the Global channel in order to have TS tied to Caps. Correct?
      sigpic
      The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Quick Arma/Evo Run Down:

Coms --
        TS has been broken into several channels for ARMA.
        The lobby is just the entry point. Once you're in, check out the other channels to see whos there. Sqd 1, 2, 3 usually have people in them (not always at the same time, but one of those will have a few) along with the air channel. There's always a couple worthless flyboys puttering about. Don't bother joining their channel :P You'd be better off not using voice activated coms. It tends to come over when it shouldn't. Annoyed teammates ensue.
        I use left ctrl for my push to talk.

Vehicle etiquette --
        When vehicles are destroyed they need to be repaired and recovered. So, if you're going to take an asset into the field, be willing to retrieve it. The exception here are the unarmed LB's and humvees. All things with guns need a recovery crew if they go down.

Evo Coordination ---
        Even if you're not working closely with others, try to attack the same city. When people split up they cause AI to spawn all over the place. This kills the server performance. Attacking 2 cities at once, happens often. Attacking 4, lagtastic!

Other thoughts ---
        Dont get stuck on evo! Theres alot more to arma than evo.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Unbind the caps lock from regular arma voice. You won't use it anyway. That's what I did. Oh, and about your third question, it seems the West is the last subchannel, so if you're alone in the Global channel, it appears as though you're in an invisible sub channel of West.
          Last edited by Shafik; 07-07-2007, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Steiner-

Also check out this:

Evolution 3.0 TG Player's Guide
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Steiner
              As well as taking on board all the good advice given above it is in the begining slowly slowly catchee the monkey.
              Remember ArmA is a methodical well thought out tactical game which is underlined in the sops etc by TG.

Best is to get yourself TS, I'd also advise adding the small prog called TS overlay as this tells you who is speaking. That's a big help until you can recognise voices.
              http://www.goteamspeak.com/
              Then do a Google for TS Overlay and install that too.
              Then once in voice comms you will be guided by the Squad Leader / more experienced members.

Oh another useful add on are the binds for the TS keys to alow you to quickly change from one voice channel to another.
              http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-keybinds.html

I'll go and dig out the links for you.

Welcome
              Barnaby out

PS Loyal as these questions are being asked shoud they if you haven't all ready done it be added to your fine write up.
              Last edited by Barnaby; 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM.
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I logged on to the Public server earlier today, and loaded TS. Once again, I found myself in some sub-channel of West. I did how ever notice that I was in 'Global' while in game (which was hinted might be the cause of the problem). But how am I to go around that? Should I change to some group-channel etc in order to sort the issues with TS I am having.
                sigpic
                The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Steiner, it was I who pointed out you were in the "West channel".. It may appear that people are in that channel, but in fact most people are in the "Armed Assault - Evolution channel"(at the top of the channel list)... although most people split up into the squad channels.. If you did DL and import the TS script, you should be able to ALT + 1-0 to change channels while in game.(print or write down the commands).

I too suggest unbinding CAPS Lock from in game chat and using it for TS push to talk.. Voice activated will pick up every noise you or your surroundings make (speakers, coughing, sneezing, TV ... screaming kids :))

Your comment about being in the Global chat channel in game, really doesnt have anything to do with TS.. You can use the "," and "." keys to toggle through the chat channels. Depending on which channel you are in at the momment, the other people in the server will be able to read your text messages, It also changes who will see your map markers.. Which can be changed from the default "four arrows icon" with the "up"-n-"down" arrow keys and colors can be changed with "shift" + arrow keys. I advise against using white markers.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                    Steiner, it was I who pointed out you were in the "West channel".. It may appear that people are in that channel, but in fact most people are in the "Armed Assault - Evolution channel"(at the top of the channel list)... although most people split up into the squad channels.. If you did DL and import the TS script, you should be able to ALT + 1-0 to change channels while in game.(print or write down the commands).

I too suggest unbinding CAPS Lock from in game chat and using it for TS push to talk.. Voice activated will pick up every noise you or your surroundings make (speakers, coughing, sneezing, TV ... screaming kids :))

Your comment about being in the Global chat channel in game, really doesnt have anything to do with TS.. You can use the "," and "." keys to toggle through the chat channels. Depending on which channel you are in at the momment, the other people in the server will be able to read your text messages, It also changes who will see your map markers.. Which can be changed from the default "four arrows icon" with the "up"-n-"down" arrow keys and colors can be changed with "shift" + arrow keys. I advise against using white markers.
                    Ahhhh! :) Now things are starting to make sense concerning the TS! Thanks, I think that I will be able to sort a couple of things out now.:)
                    sigpic
                    The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...