Keyboard tips for noobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard tips for noobs

One thing about ArmA that can be hard to adjust to is the controls. There (approximately) 492087 functions in the game assigned to keys, but I thought I'd put together a "top 10 list" of keys - the most frequently used and usefull keys... the 'need to know' list

1. Middle Mouse Button - All the menu's in game are operated with the mouse-wheel and middle-mouse-button. Don't worry, everyone shoot's the ammo-crate the first time they're trying to access it ;)

2. Gear - By default, the <G> key is used to bring up your list of gear. Usually you'll do this when you're adding gear (weapons) to your pack. Weapons can either be retrieved from an ammo crate (like at the main base), a dedicated 5-Ton ammo truck, or in the back of most vehicles. (Players can pluck gear from the ammo-crate, and then stash it in the back of a humvee or Blackhawk for example.)

3. Hold Breath - Holding your breath steadies your weapon which is useful if you've got a weapon with a powerful scope (ACOG for example). The down side is that you can run out of breath if you hold it too long and your scope gets all wabbley. By default, right mouse button is assigned to both zoom and hold breath. Even if you don't used scoped weapons much, I suggest changing "Hold Breath" to something besides <R.Mouse> - I use the thumb button on my mouse. (Otherwise you'll hold/loose your breath every time you zoom in)

4. Map - By default this is assigned to the <M> key. Because I'm used to BF2 (and because I use the map a lot), I changed this to <CAPSLOCK> (normally the VOIP key - but that in-game VOIP isn't used yet as it's buggy)

5. GPS - GPS displays a "mini-map" on your screen (It won't show friendly or enemy units however - just the map and waypoints). By default this is assigned to <double-tap M> (noted "2xM" in the game controls). I changed this to follow the change in my map button: 2xCAPSLOCK to be toggle GPS, and CTRL + CAPSLOCK be show GPS (temporarily). (I usually only use GPS when in a vehicle - in this case I want it permanently displayed while I drive/fly.)

6. Change Weapon/Firing mode - I use the default "F" key for this. Pressing this will cycle through your rifle's firing modes and then your alternate weapons. In the top left of your screen you'll see it cycle something like this:
    Single -> Burst -> Full -> GP30 Launcher -> Frag -> Green Smoke Grenade -> Single -> Burst ... ...

7. Free Look - By default, the <Left Alt> key allows your player to look around using the mouse. Double tapping this will make him permanently looking around. If you're ever unable to move your rifle this is likely what happened. Also - By default land vehicles are steered left and right with both the <A> and <D> keys AND the mouse. Whenever I drive, I stick free-look on (by double tapping ALT). This lets me steer with my keyboard and look around with my mouse (like driving jeeps in BFx).

8. Reveal Enemies - This is the equivalent of "Q-spotting" in BF2, where it will announce the direction and distance of enemies as well as put a marker on the map for all to see. By default there is no key assigned to this function - I used the thumb-button on my mouse (the same used for 'hold breath')

9. Push to Talk - In game VOIP really isn't used since many people have problems with it. Instead, you should use a PTT button for teamspeak coms. Normally I use <F6> for PTT in TS, but when playing ArmA, I use <B> to talk to my squad... as in BF2. (By default <B> is binoculars, but those are available in the mouse-wheel menu, so I just deleted the mapping for bino's)

10. Compass - If you've got shadows off (which most do as it will double your framerate), keeping your bearings can be more difficult. By default <K> brings up your compass - though I remapped it to <T> for faster access. (T is "team switch" by default which is never used)

Bonus Key: "Roger!" - The number keys are used to generate replies. Press 0 then 8 to have your guy say "Roger!" in game. You could certainly get by without knowing this, but it's handy :)
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 07-08-2007, 11:18 AM.

Re: Keyboard tips for noobs

Nice whiskey...nice...
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The hold your breath is a very important consideration. Often times you just want to zoom and not steady your weapon in order to observe the horizon. I've taken to using the +num until i've found a target that needs me to steady my weapon. Its a bad set up, and i'd certainly change it if I had extra buttons on my mouse.

Additionally, 'reveal enemy' is default hold left mouse button.
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I did not understand the reveal enemies thing. Thank you for teaching me that. I understood it existed, but I didnt know how to use it when i wanted to.

Is this the feeature that casues everyone in your squad to get a call, including the clock heading relative to themselves?
        Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

yes, exactly. Also put's a red marker on the map according to the enemy type... infantry = red triangle, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            yes, exactly. Also put's a red marker on the map according to the enemy type... infantry = red triangle, etc...
            Hmmm.... How long does this red mark last on the map?
            Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
              Hmmm.... How long does this red mark last on the map?

I believe as long as someone on your team has him in their FOV
              LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post

8. Reveal Enemies - This is the equivalent of "Q-spotting" in BF2, where it will announce the direction and distance of enemies as well as put a marker on the map for all to see. [/INDENT]
                Is this the setting that's called reveal target ? Can't seem to find one called reveal enemies

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                  Is this the setting that's called reveal target ? Can't seem to find one called reveal enemies

DB
                  Yes...it is "reveal target".
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                    Yes...it is "reveal target".

Takk ! :row__523:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

could a mod edit the OP for me? :D

Comment

Two more:

Get out - U
                        Eject - 2xU

Helped me avoid some fiery deaths. U is default for Next Team. Never used.

Comment

I assigned spacebar to get out, double space bar to eject. When you need an easy access key to hit urgently, no one can beat the french baguette spacebar :madsmile:

Comment

I am particularly clumsy with the Z and X keys (Prone & Crouch) and I do not like to take my fingers off the W/A/S/D. So, I left the original in place, but I added additional binds as seen below so my fingers wouldn't have to leave the primary movement keys:

Prone = 2xS
                            Crouch=2xD
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                              I am particularly clumsy with the Z and X keys (Prone & Crouch) and I do not like to take my fingers off the W/A/S/D. So, I left the original in place, but I added additional binds as seen below so my fingers wouldn't have to leave the primary movement keys:

Prone = 2xS
                              Crouch=2xD

Clever! I'll try this one.

DB

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X