the single most exciting mod - CEX - Watch the video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the single most exciting mod - CEX - Watch the video

Rather than start this post with a long explanation of what this mod could mean for TG (and any server wanting greater command and control), please just watch the video. Use the pause button from time to time to think about what is happening in this mod.

The mod group, perfectly named, is called Command and Control. (CoC) Apparently, some pretty smart guys.

Then lets talk.

This is what we are all looking for. Watch closely, Watch it twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjHohfZHm48
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Re: the single most exciting mod - CEX - Watch the video

Ok... I may be, yes..let me see... Erect! .. Oh my... !!! This thing is Crazy cool..in fact maybe a bit too good.. In Fact I wonder if it will work? It's gotta hurt something on your system.. Frame rates, playability to nil.. something... No way it's this good and will work!.. Not gonna Believe it.

I'd like to see it in action on a Multiplayer COOP .. It obviously will allow orders, waypoints etc.. to Squad leaders.. I wonder if indivual units can be addressed? OR can this interface be used by a SQUAD leader to oder his units..while the Platoon leader can order the SL's???
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Cannot wait for this...

A quick question. Lets say we are playing a mission without CEX. Can CEX be added to it without any technical difficulties and permission issues?

Comment

@ Pear

The design allows the following.

-->>Plattoon leaders can give squad level and below waypoints, inclusing "sectors of observation" and other things too. to both humans and AI

-->>The squad leaders can give fire team level waypoints and "sectors of observation" orders to their individual fireteams and below. to both humans and AI

-->>Squad leaders can see all other orders given to other squads and fireteams etc, but cannot alter them. They can only alter the waypoints of those directly UNDER THEIR COMMAND. Coordination without the possability of interference. After all, that control (command and control) belongs to the Platoon cmmander. to both humans and AI

-->>Fire team leaders can give THIER fire team members their waypoints within their own fireteams. they can see the orders of other fire team members (in their squad and in other squads) and squad level orders (for their squad and other squads), but they cannot control them. to both humans and AI

-->>Hierarchal, non cross over controls, in a fast to use interface for all members of the chain of command. to both humans and AI

tip of the iceberg.

Keep reading folks. watch the video again.

@ John_C

I am yet unaware of the technical limitations of integrating this into our servers. I believe it is not simply plug and play at the server level. I believe client isntallation is also required. But hold that thought. I will be reporting back once i know more. And yes. I am on it.
        Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

I expect a 12 page Thesis on all the Attributes, Pro's and Cons,etc., with Lots of Graphs and pics and such..
          Or it will just not be up to SleepDoc level...
          ;-)
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

The mod group is called Chain of Command. They made fantastic addons in OFP. Out of the dozens and dozens of potential mods coming out in the future, they are one of four that I promoted in my TTP - ACE, CoC, BAS2, and FDF. Another thing to look forward to from CoC is Unified Artillery for ArmA. You can read about the OFP version here: http://dslyecxi.com/shackposts/ofp_cocua11.html

CEX is easy to add to missions. I've posted about it here a few times before with screens of what it looks like. It's already a great tool for command & control and will definitely make MP organization and tactical coordination better than it currently is. I think this will show an extra layer of promise with cross-group coordination - it's a standard form of tactical communication that can help to cross the boundaries between different groups using different methods of command and control.

ShackTac markers in CEX.

edit:
            Sleepdoc, this part is inaccurate currently:
            -->>Fire team leaders can give THIER fire team members their waypoints within their own fireteams. they can see the orders of other fire team members (in their squad and in other squads) and squad level orders (for their squad and other squads), but they cannot control them. to both humans and AI
            That may happen in the future, but it is not the case now.

further edit:
            A mission can be modified to incorporate this. Basically you edit description.ext to establish the various chains of command and list what units lead each group. It's very easy to do. It does require addons, so you will need to distribute an addon pack to your group for this. For ShackTac, our addon pack will consist of CoC stuff (ie CEX) and ACE as well as any other minor things that need to be added. It would be entirely feasible to have our addon pack shared with TacticalGamer, since I do believe that we will be utilizing the same addon sets in the future. Let me know if there's interest. I am not the type to just randomly decide that some silly little addon needs to go in, and cause some traumatic hassle for people to update their stuff on a weekly basis. I've seen how that's worked in the past with OFP, and it's not something ShackTac or TG needs to go through. It becomes a real serious entry barrier and should be avoided as best as possible. Anyhow, let me know if there is interest in this.

Comment

Thanks for the info gents. It was very helpful and waiting is harder now.

I guess it would be great to have shared addons between ST and TG. I can see many advantages of settings such standards.

Comment

I've been vary wary of utilizing any addons on the server until ArmAWatch is up and running, but I would consider this for our co-op server as its unlikely to garner any public interest anyway.

Comment

Dsly,

thanks for the clarification. I'm still peeling away the layers of understanding. and yes. The author answerd me, exactly as you said. He has not yet placed indivudal contrl in the system, but it is in the design.

Shiner,

I am not suggesting that this will overtake TG. I am suggesting that we keep our eyes to the future. I am hoping that this mod will show up on our coop servers at some point int he future, when its ready. I like people to see that the very issues we struggle with are benig worked on and the future is brighter than the present.

Did you mean that CEX will not garner much interest or TG's coop server will not garner much interest? (your dangling participle got in the way of my misplaced modifier ...) LOL
                  Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM.
                  Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                    I've been vary wary of utilizing any addons on the server until ArmAWatch is up and running, but I would consider this for our co-op server as its unlikely to garner any public interest anyway.
                    Ok..first..What is ARMAWATCH... ? Second...I'm not sure what you mean by the second part...? You don't think this addon will be very popular with the COOP folks?
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Not sure but there was something called ofp-watch which was a prog similar to Kegety's ArmA launch
                      "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Information on ArmaWatch is here: http://armawatch.net/
                        --
                        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                          Ok..first..What is ARMAWATCH... ? Second...I'm not sure what you mean by the second part...? You don't think this addon will be very popular with the COOP folks?
                          ArmaWatch should be a program that automatically downloads addons when joining a server.

What I meant from the second comment is that the primary issue with addons is that it won't allow folks without the addons to connect to the server. IMO a server running addons without ArmaWatch, would eliminate the majority of their recruiting. Now we do have a password which requires folks to visit the forums anyway, but it is another roadblock to start having a TG addon pack required to be installed before playing on our server. I hate to add anymore burden to someone that is new to TG than necessary.

Comment

Re-reading this I'm not sure I have it right in my head.

I lean towards a WWII approach in ArmA.
                            Now I know this is set in Modern times but there is a danger here of it getting to techno/star warzie.
                            I go with the improvements in way point layout and comms but I'm not likeing the ability to float over the battlefield.
                            I may be getting my combats in a twist here so maybe some of you battle vets could explain [simply] what CEX would change.

I'd hate to lose the snaking on my belly trying to reach cover using the ground contours as a blind only to have someone float up over the Battlefield and spot me.
                            Even when only -V- the AI's I think this would spoil the game strategy.

Your comments please.

Barnaby out
                            "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Less 'jokes' from me this time, I find this mod to be very exciting. I agree with Barnaby about the 'omniscience' of the CEX mod, being able to zoom around on the battlefield, but seeing as how this is a potentially unrealistic feature, I'm sure they will have it optional in some regard.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X