Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I am not a Supporting Member (yet...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I am not a Supporting Member (yet...)

Just to be clear. It ain't the money. I spent 80 bucks for lunch and dinner yesterday for myself and my wife.

And I know I have been a bit contraversial since I showed up. I rub a few people the wrong way and visa versa. Ths is the curse of strong personalities meeting in game spaces made for strong personalities. I try to limit my coming across that way. most of the time anyway. :) And i recognize we are all brothers in the end, trying to get something from a great game.

I would be very pleased to give TG 80 bucks for the year. So why am I holding out?

Becuase TG ArMA does not yet have its SOP-based identity congruent with its reality.

The recent thread of A(slow,methodical) vs. B(faster, less planning) vs. C(vehicular power) players makes it all too clear to me.

TG's leadership is wise to let these discussions run their course. I admire them for that. They are being inclusive. But at some point (and this is what I am waiting for), the solution has to be doled out. Lines have to be drawn in the sand.

And IMNSHO, the solution must be more than a promise to be good in some thread. It's an important step, mind you. But for a server as open as TG EVO is (just get the password from somethng you read), its not enough.

#1.

Shiners idea of forcing requisitioning of vehicles from larger squads is a great idea. If I see this mod made and implemented well, I'm probably gonna drop the cash that day.

#2.

I would like to see some more presence of real time enforcers. Not self assigned cops mind you. The assigned leadership. I don't want to turn people in all the time. Its too much to bear. I prefer a greater presence of the admins doing it in real time becuase they saw it in real time. not in front of others mind you. Privately as they say they prefer to do. But real time. Maybe they should expand their "official enforcement team" (by invitation only ... beware those ready to jump onboard ..... choose wisely)

#3.

I am still a beilever in my approach to TeamSpeak comms with a "new arrivals channel" approach. My system accomodates a radio man or not. SLs can be their own radio men if they prefer. If I saw this change, I would be closer, although it is less important t me than the requisition mod and the persence of leadership. But, If I saw the requisition mod and not the new comms, I would probably be fine.

But I would like to see resolution on these issues. Final calls with teeth. Defintive final calls with code/mod level enforcements where possible......

Yep. Asset control through a forced system, and presence of leadership to handle things in real time is where I want to put my money. My little comms idea? I could go either way although i clearly prefer my approach.

Finally, please don't tell me to stop playing TG EVO. i like EVO. it lets me come and go as I please. I am Talking about TG EVO in this post

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-13-2007, 04:10 PM.
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Re: Why I am not a Supporting Member (yet...)

(Crosses arms and thinks to self "I still pay 8.95 a month, and haven't played on a TG server in 3 weeks")

Comment

Interesting post.

1. In the works.

2. The summer time has led to a lot of vacation, plus ArmA itself has certain limitations, namely size and scope to view all infractions. There is no "God" tool that we can use to watch players outside of using a spectate script which still doesn't solve the problem because it would require a huge time investment to truly follow a player about to see an infraction. Also a player would have had to be targeted in the first place for this, which leads us back to square one.

3. The only real difference is a new arrivals channel and that is just name only. There is no way to force people to use that channel and wait patiently. We would again have to have admins waiting and watching the whole time or pouncing after the fact when it is obvious they did not use the new arrival channel.

ArmA does not have very good administration tools, for obeservation particularly. There is not much that can be done real time unless witness directly. Same with TS, there's no real way to force a "New Arrivals"

Interesting post non the less.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
        Interesting post.

1. In the works.

2. The summer time has led to a lot of vacation, plus ArmA itself has certain limitations, namely size and scope to view all infractions. There is no "God" tool that we can use to watch players outside of using a spectate script which still doesn't solve the problem because it would require a huge time investment to truly follow a player about to see an infraction. Also a player would have had to be targeted in the first place for this, which leads us back to square one.

3. The only real difference is a new arrivals channel and that is just name only. There is no way to force people to use that channel and wait patiently. We would again have to have admins waiting and watching the whole time or pouncing after the fact when it is obvious they did not use the new arrival channel.

ArmA does not have very good administration tools, for obeservation particularly. There is not much that can be done real time unless witness directly. Same with TS, there's no real way to force a "New Arrivals"

Interesting post non the less.
        #1.

Great. wasn't quite sure if shiner was on the move with that or not.

#2.

Yep. no god tool. which is why i suggested greater presence and possibly acheiving that through increasing your enforcement team to poeple who are already commited SM who you guys feel show teh right attitude to take on that job.

#3.

There are many aspects of the new comms approach that is being ignored here besides the fact that the channel name gets a name change.....

It is the idea that if it were accepted, the following things would also happen.

a. The SOP would be updated to make people more familiar.

b. A new launch post would make existing players familiar.

c. The new launch post might suggest to other players how to politely tell people to move to the right channel.

d. enforcers would have a new SOP to enforce.

In others words, it would become a new cultural mandate. Although I would love a system that forces people into the right chaannels, i know I don't have that at my disposal. So I'm looking for a newly updated SOP with a reorientation of the culture of how channels are to be used. Your post seems to overlook the power of this. and after all, TG, at this stage, is mostly run by SOP and cultural mandates.

Finally, I will say this. Most people surveyed about restaurants will tell you this...........>> If they go to a restuarant a couple of times and have a bad expereince, they won't actually bother to tell the management why they didn't return. This is the majority. They just won't return.

But this is my favorite restaurant. So rather than do what the majority of people usually do (keep their reasoning to themsevles), I chose to hang it out there. I did it for 2 reasons.

#1. (Purely Selfish reason)

I want what I want and I'm waving that flag.

#2. (not so selfish reason)

I'm giving others a chance to state their opinions on the matter. I'm breaking the ice for non SMs on the fence who might feel alone and uncomfortable telling their reasons. If I turn out to be in the minority, and TG stands to lose more new SMs than they stand to gain by following the path i just laid out, they deserve to know that. They are better off financially to please the majority (assuming their core SOP's would not be broken). I know my way is only one set of ways to skin the current SOP cat......
        Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-13-2007, 04:29 PM.
        Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X