FRAPS is why X-fire chat doesn't work in ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAPS is why X-fire chat doesn't work in ArmA

I have been wishing that X-Fire in game Chat (they call it XIG) would work inside ArmA. It didn't for me. I asked around. Everyone else agreed. It wasn't working for them either.

I went to the X-fire forum and noticed a wierd, old thread indicating that X-fire thought they had fixed it. Everyone in the post said it still didn't work. The guys at X-fire seemed befuddled.

It went back and forth a bit, and then someone came on and indicated that FRAPS interfered with XIG.

Could it be that simple after weeks of me believing it didn't work?

Yep. It was that simple. If you exit FRAPS ##BEFORE## you launch ArmA, XIG works perfect. Don't try to Alt tab and then exit ArmA. It's too late. You need to make sure FRAPS is not running before you even start ArmA.

Just and FYI for those of you who didn't know this. I certainly didn't.
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Re: FRAPS is why X-fire chat doesn't work in ArmA

I believe TeamSpeak overlay (TSO) will also interfere with X-fire chat and FRAPS. I run TSO so I can see who's speaking on TeamSpeak and what channel I happen to be in.

I believe the issue arises because only one application can hook into the API at a time so it's first come first serve.
    |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyOfThree View Post
      I believe TeamSpeak overlay (TSO) will also interfere with X-fire chat and FRAPS. I run TSO so I can see who's speaking on TeamSpeak and what channel I happen to be in.

I believe the issue arises because only one application can hook into the API at a time so it's first come first serve.

I have tested this idea.

For whatever reason, I can use TS overlay and ArmA together and XIG still works fine.

It has been mentioned in the X-Fire forum, however, that although FRAPs is a frequent culprit in the interference with XIG in certain games (espeuially those using OPEN GL over DX9), that teamspeak overlay can have the same interfering effect some times.

But in my case, TS overlay and ArmA 1.08 US Boxed version works just fine.
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

I also use TSO and XIG with no problems.
        | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
          I also use TSO and XIG with no problems.
          It sounds like I should go back and do some updated testing.

Thanks!
          |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Hi daddy,

which version of the game do you have?

Although I have not fully parsed out the issues, it is clear from what is written in the forums over at XFIRE that some people have "sprocket" download versions and there may be other download versions as well. downloaded versions have different issues than those of the European and US boxed versions. And those downlaoded versions may not be supported.

sorry I can't tell you more about these nuances. But tell us first which version you have.
            Sleepdoc

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X