Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flying Heli's is just good clean fun

Originally posted by Raptor82 View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the Throttle Sleepdoc I will set that up this evening

Yea. its kind of "couter intuitive" unless you know helicopters, or have played heli sims before. But once you reverse the "throttle", its oh so much easier to keep your head wrapped around what your doing.

Pushing down the "throttle" towards the ground lowers you heli toward the ground. It becomes natural real fast. <its really not a throttle in a helicopter. the thing in your left hand is actually called the collective.>

Here is a super qiuck read and blurb video if anyone cares to see it.....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/helicopter6.htm

note how in this 10 second video, she shows a person "pulling up" on the collective (from the right seat ... thus the left hand .. our throttle from the joystick world), and thus getting a "bigger bite of the air" by increasing the pitch on the blades, thus making the helicopter go up.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/mpeg...collective.mpg

there is more to it than that, but its a nice place for people to get their basics started.
    Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
      I do, the lights help avoid collisions :)
      LOL. I wasn't smart enough to even think about that. I was doing it to signal the awaiting passengers on the ground! ....
      Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM.
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Koala View Post
        For those interested in learning to fly the helicopters or become more proficient at it, there is a TGU ArmA Rotary Wing Training Module in the works :D

Not sure when it'll be ready, but it'll be Soon™ :p
        Niiiiiice. Count me in man! I just can't seem to ever get the handle on flight. In ArmA I can at least get the birds off the ground and maneuver them pretty effortlessly...but those landings are a killer!
        | | |

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
          ...It was not possible to see anything and I changed the course to leave the fog as quickly as possible. As soon as we got out, a huge mountain appeared in front of the little little bird...
          that's one of the times when Q for auto-hover is handy... it's more of an "oh ****" key to press in certain situations :D handy when you're first learning to fly ;)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            that's one of the times when Q for auto-hover is handy... it's more of an "oh ****" key to press in certain situations :D handy when you're first learning to fly ;)
            Is that a cousin of the "oh ****" handle in my car? My wife uses it all the time. too much cell phone while driving. They should outlaw my driving behavior.
            Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              Also - add a hot key to "toggle Auto-Hover"... I use Q. It saves lives... especially in fog. ;)
              I toggled the same key to Auto Hover On and Auto Hover Off, since obviously only one will be appropriate at a time. It saves having to remember two keys and I could put it on a key convenient to reach.

As a bit of a LB newbie, I do find auto hover helpful when finding the right landing spot. You can twist and move a bit in AH, without sacrificing level flight. Its like training wheels ... hope I don't need it long but for now it helps: I've flown enough off line to trust myself to transport myself to the front, but when other guys jump in (as they're welcome to do) I don't want to risk their lives so much. Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...

Originally posted by Evil Koala View Post
              For those interested in learning to fly the helicopters or become more proficient at it, there is a TGU ArmA Rotary Wing Training Module in the works :D
              Please!
              Last edited by Boot; 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Hey Guys.

I just downloaded this Great campaign. Check out the post i made about it in the Mission folder.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-campaign.html

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                  Niiiiiice. Count me in man! I just can't seem to ever get the handle on flight. In ArmA I can at least get the birds off the ground and maneuver them pretty effortlessly...but those landings are a killer!
                  Heres a tip Atomic... Be sure to, when your descending, dont lock your sights on the terrain.... keep a close eye on your altitude and speed top left, this will help you learn your awareness of the ground ;)... Also, tapping the lean left/right keys(not turn left/right) helps you balance out....
                  Dizlor

Comment

Agnew, I will check that campaign. Thx for posting.

Nice discussion here flyboys. Lets continue to share the little secrets :)

Today I learnt an excellent planning method from Laguna. When he was waiting at the main base for the next transport call, he marked several landing zones around the island (LZ01, LZ02....), especially around the actively engaged city. This gave ground SLs several options to choose for their insertion. It will be an SOP I will use in my future Blackhawk/Littlebird services.

Also, we organized Air element as:

Blackhawk 1: John
                    Blackhawk 2: Laguna
                    Blackhawk 3: Viper

, separated CAS (Razor, Six and Sloppy) into another squad to reduce comm load and shared all transport (troops/supply) requests so that no chopper pilot was left behind sitting and waiting while others get all the job done.

I love the persistent nature of Evolution mission which makes it a full-time "virtual" job to be a support unit. Playing Evo gets better and better on our server as we all develop our communication/coordination skills and overall organization... everyone identifying himself with a unit code and becoming a functional part of a large-scale virtual mil op. Keep up the good work folks !

Thanks to E-male for stepping up as PL and making things even more organized, Khan and Shafik (our infantry SLs) for their cooperation with blackhawk units.
                    Last edited by John CANavar; 07-15-2007, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                      Today I learnt an excellent planning method from Laguna. When he was waiting at the main base for the next transport call, he marked several landing zones around the island (LZ01, LZ02....), especially around the actively engaged city. This gave ground SLs several options to choose for their insertion. It will be an SOP I will use in my future Blackhawk/Littlebird services.
                      This was perfect. As SL, I had no need to mark anything, no need to explain where AA is or where hot zones are. I simply open my map, have a selection of 2 (sometimes more) LZ's that are close to our ASA, and choose. The pilot himself chose the LZ, knows the best approach and layout of the flight, and marked it. Much smaller chance of errors and missed LZ's. Kudos to Laguna for this one.

I'd also say it was great to see pilots agreeing to shift a bit when the situation called for it.

One thing that I'd say was confusing was the fact that pilots communicated through whisper to CC's, which means I, as SL, heard everything that was going on between them. Pilots should communicate in the channel amongst themselves, with whispers only to outside elements.

Comment

While I am fairly competent at the little bird now (yes even in fog), I could definitely use some training on the armed helicopters. I think that these are underutilized in-game, hopefully we'll have more in the way of CAS squads in the future.

I also think that everyone should be using lights anytime there is other friendly traffic in the area and concealment/stealth is unnecessary - as in the base. I've seen a lot of close calls and a couple of wrecks that could have been avoided if the pilots had their lights on. This also goes for vehicles on base.

Comment

Evil Koala, you tell me when and where for your training module, and I'm there.

Also, that chopper campaign that Agnew pointed out, is a great learning tool. (from what i've seen so far).

Comment

Well. Waht can i say. I just finished..well died in a campaign mission, but it was by far the best experience i ever had. I want you all to go back to watching Black Hawk Down. Well it happened to me.

I was on my way to pick up an observer. And all of the sudden i hear TINK, and my LB starts spinning like mad. I pull full left rudder and straighten out but im flying sideway. I start to tilt my LB to get straight and WHAM right then and there i hit a spin again and go down. I'm assuming it was the tail rotor, but wow was it a great experience. I just did instinct, drop collective and pull full opp rudder. Amazing experience and if u haven't hit it yet, just wait. You wont know what happened, you'll just know your outa control and will be saying "this is Super Six Four we've been hit, going down hard.. BRACE".

just thought id point out another amazing feature in the world of flying.

Agnew

Comment

And then, if you're on the Evo server, after that great experience you get to hear the wonderful Banana Phone.

I just love that addition to the server. :|

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik View Post
                                One thing that I'd say was confusing was the fact that pilots communicated through whisper to CC's, which means I, as SL, heard everything that was going on between them. Pilots should communicate in the channel amongst themselves, with whispers only to outside elements.
                                We were using channel chat to speak to each other other. I can't really speak for anybody else, but when we use Channel Commander chat, we usually believe that we are saying something that the other CC's want to hear. If there are things we are saying that related CC's do not want to hear, we need to know about it. :)

John, the thing I was talking about with starting from LZ20 the other day... I was suggesting that even if we delete the previous LZ01-LZ09, that we should start with new numbers so that there is absolutely no confusion between landing zones. If we have already landed at LZ06 six times and then replace LZ06 at a different point on the map, some pilots (me? :)) may not remember that LZ06 is now in a completely different position next to a completely different town. Going in numerical sequence or starting the next town at 20, 30, 40, and so on would alleviate this. I have had more than one run-in with this kind of thing, causing me to have to hover or slow down while I look at my map and take them to the correct 'new' LZ.

Also, I think it would be more efficient if we just placed safe LZs on our own accord around the city, as opposed to assigning each pilot with a certain sector to come up with LZs in. As long as the person uses the next number in the LZ sequence and they make sure they don't place a duplicate number LZ, everything will work smoothly. I have never had an issue with people placing same-number LZs as me in the past. Does anybody have strong feelings about anything in this post?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X