Flying Heli's is just good clean fun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flying Heli's is just good clean fun

Ive just picked up a copy of the game and aside from trudging through countless loads as a die repeatedly in singleplayer (want to practice before going multiplayer) I take a few flights. Although im confused as to how to set the right flight controls for turning in choppers. They have a turn control as well as a bank control. I suppose both get the job done but sometimes it seems ackward to turn. then again i am usually travelling much too fast. does anyone know the diff. between bank and turn for the choppers?

Comment

Well, one banks and one turns... banking and pulling back will turn you much quicker though.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Flying choppers in arma is great fun. For landing, I usually come in low and then drop the collective. I then maintain level flight by pulling back on the stick which slows the bird down. Once I'm down to under 50 kts I then go for a landing.

If you need to slow down fast, bank 60 and pull back on the stick for a 180 turn - this should bleed of a lot of speed.

For low level flight, use the collective, not the stick. Once you are moving drop the collective gradually and you'll descend. Once you're at a comfortable height, add more collective to maintain level flight. Using this method I was able to skim above trees in the KA-50 and even low enough to fly between some. I highly recommend doing this as it is great fun and the sense of speed and the scenery rushing by is a blast (and the canyons are even better!)

Auto-rotation is possible in arma. This happens when your engine is shot out but you need to be quick. As soon as the engine dies, bottom the collective and try to keep around 100kmh. As you approach the ground slow your speed by pulling back on the stick and then when you are about to hit the ground pull up on the collective which should slow you down and allow you to survive the crash. Practice on the airfield by paraiso - get to 200 alt, turn the engine off and bottom collective and then try it. The hardest part about auto-rotation is actually knowing your engine is out. You'll notice when you hear the rotors slow down but usually it's too late by then.
        Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
          Well, one banks and one turns... banking and pulling back will turn you much quicker though.
          i accidently had both set to L/R on my joystick figuring they were needed, now those are super fast turns.. its a bad combo btw. i was just wondering if there was an advantge or difference between them as in the choppers bank and turn radius. I noticed when in auto hover you can only use the turn feature or your rudders for an effective turn. bank and turn seems natural for a heli though. I only speak from sim experience of course, which doesnt account for much.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X