Comm Traffic/Covering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comm Traffic/Covering

I'd like to explore a better way to maximize comm traffic efficiency for the SLs.

When SL'ing I frequently find it difficult to communicate with the element while channel commander (CA) traffic is heavy (as is during well structured play-nights) -- there's just too much covering going on.

Outside of issuing orders, I like to inform my element members and take feedback -- those conversations were frequently interupted/covered w/ CA traffic.

I haven't put much thought to it, but I think a direct Commander bind would be better than a full CA broadcast. This way SLs could communicate with the commanding officer (CO) with burdening other SLs with the ancillary traffic.

I was thinking of placing the CO in the parent channel and have CA's whisper to the channel parent (instead of family). This way the other SLs wouldn't hear all the other SL <-> CO traffic.

The trick would be figuring out how SL's could continue to communicate with other SLs so the CO doesn't have to relay traffic. Or have a CO and a radio operator in the parent channel, and the RO takes that load/responsibility of relaying messages to/from and between SLs.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

---- UPDATED ----

Regarding TS binds we can keep the existing TS configs as mentioned in the SOPs, but need to agree to adopt the following:

1) CO always resides in the root Arma channel.
    2) Players must always join a sub-channel (so as to not interfere with CO business).
    3) SLs add a new bind for Channel PreDefs -> Parent Channel for SL<->CO comms.
    4) SLs use their existing CA bind for SL<->SL broadcast communications.
    5) CO broadcasts to all SL's using existing CA bind.
    6) CO communicates with SL's individually using Whisper To -> Channel List -> Channel Name binds or via Whisper To -> Player List -> Player Name (custom setup per game).

I'm suggesting this setup because it seemed that most of the traffic I get coverage on is SL<->CO traffic -- as I remember there was very little SL<->SL traffic.

Open for critique/suggestions.
    Last edited by Riyker; 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM.
    sigpic
    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Re: Comm Traffic/Covering

Great idea! Just have two keybinds... one to whisper all CC's, and one to whisper the CO (yet to be created) channel.

Comment

Is this possible with a standard keybind setup, or is this going to require that each player develop a unique keybind setup for each game ?

Please excuse my ignorance of setting up TS keybind. Its not in my current bag of tricks. But i did not think this arrangement was possible without changing your keybind system each time.

Riyker. as SL, i too don't like too much chatter in my head when I am trying to mamage the immediate elemtns needs and fedback. This is why the system i tried to wrk out a few weeks ago presetned the diea that each SL would assign one member to be a radio officer. Then the Radi officer could absorb the chatter, and relay to AL when needed. Or just ask SL to also get on CC for a moment.

Did you see that thread and image i created to describe the channel flow?

We are motivated by the exact same issue. If your solution is possible in TS, without requiring a new keybind for each game, then its a winner. But I think we explored that approach and tS does not allow that level of keybind hierachy. Please correect me if I am wrong.

And just in case you missed the intial post.....

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...structure.html
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Good idea Riyker.

Btw all and all, good job being SL last night. Everything went pretty well i thought, untill that burning KA-50 wreck fell on your head at the end. :)

No, seriously, good job brother.

Comment

Yeah ... that was a fantastic event. You mean an explosion will kill from 10m? Haha.

Thanks for the kudos -- back acha. Was a good night!

Regarding TS binds we can keep the existing TS configs as mentioned in the SOPs, but need to agree to adopt the following:

1) CO always resides in the root Arma channel.
          2) Players must always join a sub-channel (so as to not interfere with CO business).
          3) SLs add a new bind for Channel PreDefs -> Parent Channel for SL<->CO comms.
          4) SLs use their existing CA bind for SL<->SL broadcast communications.
          5) CO broadcasts to all SL's using existing CA bind.
          6) CO communicates with SL's individually using Whisper To -> Channel List -> Channel Name binds or via Whisper To -> Player List -> Player Name (custom setup per game).

I'm suggesting this setup because it seemed that most of the traffic I get coverage on is SL<->CO traffic -- as I remember there was very little SL<->SL traffic.

Open for critique/suggestions.
          Last edited by Riyker; 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
            Is this possible with a standard keybind setup, or is this going to require that each player develop a unique keybind setup for each game.

Please excuse my ignorance of setting up TS keybind. Its not in my current bag of tricks.
            Under the Key Settings options in TS, you can setup any keybind you wish. The official key bind file is just a quick way to build a bunch of keybinds at once and to keep them standard others can help you on which bind does what action.

Feel free to personalize yours as much as you wish. I have a few custom things and binds I changed. You just have to decide on what key or combination of keys then there is a drop down menu for actions to bind to that key/combo.
            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
              Under the Key Settings options in TS, you can setup any keybind you wish. The official key bind file is just a quick way to build a bunch of keybinds at once and to keep them standard others can help you on which bind does what action.

Feel free to personalize yours as much as you wish. I have a few custom things and binds I changed. You just have to decide on what key or combination of keys then there is a drop down menu for actions to bind to that key/combo.
              I don't think i asked my question too clearly Khan, based on your reponse.

My question is .... can a singple key bind be distribiuted to all people which ensures that his approach is all setup and ready top go for every persona dn every game. Becuase if customization is required from game to game to get the new SLs into my whisper channel and visa versa, only certain people with the skills can do it.

My post is asking if a single solution can be distributed to all people, which makes this system Riyker is describing go.
              Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

yes. we already have one available to all. its in one of the stickys i do believe. Keybinds are important in this game, since the VOIP doesn't work

Comment

You can't distribute an "add on" keybind. You can import and export your entire set of keybinds, but when you import it overwrites all of your current keybinds.

So yes. If you start w/ the "official" TG keybinds and then add one for CO whisper, you could then export it for all to use.

Comment

Yes. that was my question.

I already know about and employ the existing offical keybind distributed via TG. In fact, the reason i asked is becuase one night, myself and some admins had a meeting about hte "new ideas", and we ran into some implementation road-blocks based on the limitations of TS's channel segregation capabilities.

Phoenix was our implementation guy that night, and some really cool, elegant ideas for improving the TS keybinds proved to be impossible to actually create in TS..
                    Sleepdoc

Comment

For the CO, how about instead of setting up keybind per game to whisper directly to the person, is there a way to whisper to channel commander in a particular channel? For example, Alt_Shift_1 = whisper to squad 1 channel commanders. If so, then the CO could generically communicate to squad SL's directly from root channel (or wherever) without a general CC (Channel commander) broadcast.

Also, a question, the CO would be in root or his own channel, but not channel commander, as to avoid all the CC broadcasts?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                      "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                      - Wulfyn

Comment

Like Riyker says above... It is very easy to set up additional keybinds and change them in anyway you need...
                        Although I do use the basic TG TS ArmA keybind layout, I had to change some.. and use some that I already had in place... ALT+CTRL = toggles Channel Commander on and off.. I have been using this for years. And using "B" as whisper to CCs.. and "Shift +B" set to Whipser to parent channel.. although here at TG we dont use the sub channels as much as in my previous clans...The default Evo channel is what we could used as a "Commander"/"Platoon leader" channel.. Although the Command element channel will work just as well, by adding a, whisper to, channel list, Evo Command element.

As I stated in another post we all need to stop using the default channel as a "gathering place" when there are under ten players, even just two of us... and start getting used to going into squad channels from the start... then this "PL/default" channel would become the place for "new players/recruits" to the round to get assigned to a squad by the PL... Which will also get the "C" players in line with the rest of the group.
                        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                        E Pluribus Unum
                        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                          As I stated in another post we all need to stop using the default channel as a "gathering place" when there are under ten players, even just two of us... and start getting used to going into squad channels from the start... then this "PL/default" channel would become the place for "new players/recruits" to the round to get assigned to a squad by the PL... Which will also get the "C" players in line with the rest of the group.
                          Am I missing something? (and I admit ... I might be .... this isn't sarcasm) Isn't this exactly the same as the "new arrival, respawn, dedicated transport channel" idea that has been floated out there already?

and the PL lives on channel commander as well. as do the heli guys and the SLs (or radio men if the SL so chooses)

Now where did i put that picture?....

Sleepdoc

Comment

My post applies to those situations in which there is no RO in the squad element and the SL is responsible for managing CO/CA/sqaud communications in addition to tackling the objective.

I love the diagram BTW Sleepdoc. I read your initial post some time ago, and have played as a squad member when we had the luxury of staffing up in this fashion -- unfortunately for me, that was only once out of the many times I'm in Arma.

I'm trying to see if we can muster a remedial version whereby a SL has no RO.

Or... maybe we should drop the idea and stick with having to have an RO. In that case I would always turn off my CA audio and rely on my RO to filter comm traffic to me for what I need to hear. I would love that luxury! :icon14:
                            sigpic

Comment

IF we had the capability in TeamSpeak to whisper to channel commander in a particular channel, all would be well. Squads to talk to other squads directly without a general broadcast to all channel commanders in the tree and the resultant radio carnage that comes with that. Given that we cannot do this, the solution of radio officers as both a filter to reduce the SLs radio chatter so he can concetrate on SLings and as a role with quasi-SL functions (taking care of things that he can) is freakin awesome.

This is a solution that encourages teamwork while at the same time creating a very realistic role with cool duties and merits in itself; well deserving of it's own ribbon class I might add.

The respawn/new arrival/transport channel is also a very nicely packaged solution which simply designs the process to give transport officers a chance to do their duty in directing transport and reinforcements without so much of the confusion of both the reinforcement troops and the transporters both taking up global radio comms. By having troops talk locally in a simple centralized channel, and the transport officers handling intra squad comms, it should reduce chatter greatly.

the RO position is also a good compliment to engineer and/or medic classes.

Two thumbs up for a well hashed out system. I'm all in favor of pursuing this and proposing some simple SOPs for it's function. (When I am more awake)

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                              "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                              - Wulfyn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X