Comm Traffic/Covering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comm Traffic/Covering

If I was on the TeamSpeak DEV team, I'd make the damned thing operate like a real scanner radio -- whereby I can receive broadcasts on mulitple channels of my picking (eg. #8, #24, and #51), filtering everything else out.

Then selectively broadcast out to one or more sets of those channels (eg. #8 & #51, or just #24 alone) as I desire.

This "in the same room (defined as a channel)" concept we have now just has no love.

Life could be so much easier.

Nonetheless, yes, SleepDoc, I believe it would work for both COOP and EVO. I'll be interested to see how the test plays out next Sunday.

Prolly should close the thread and leave it for reference only until some decisions moving forward are made.
    sigpic
    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
      I personally feel SL's should arrange the transport for respawners as kind of an immersion element. The squad is receiving reinforcements and the SL should definitely be a part of that.

You are right that does pose a problem with new comers. My personal opinion is to use chat. I almost always use chat when I join the server to ask who needs help and where I need to go. Again, I feel TS comms are for immediate impact communications. Assignments are not immediate impact "Duck, fire from the north." that is immediate impact. "Hey who needs me in their squad?" is not immediate impact.

As always, i agree with the discipline of "comms is for chatter of immediate impact." in reality however, the flow of new players puts a pressure on what is otherwise, quite obviously, the right way to do things. So I'm trying to create a "bucket channel" for them to chatter (new arrrivals, new players, repsawners and dedicated transport guys). and a place for dedicated pilots (the experienced guy in the bucket) to teach them how to chatter less.

I'm trying to capture this unavoidable overflow. I do not believe we can eliminate it on TG EVO as long as it remains as open as it is to new people. I'm trying to to create a bucket for those players and that reality.

But this "isolated bucket" idea continues to not be seen in the light i see it. so i have to consider that the idea does not have enough merit to be accepted as a part of the new solution.

They say the defintion of insanity is to keep trying something over and over. Oddly, it is also a part of the definition of achieving success. LOL. I started this process believing the latter. I'm moving to the camp of the former.
      Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
        I personally feel SL's should arrange the transport for respawners as kind of an immersion element. The squad is receiving reinforcements and the SL should definitely be a part of that.

You are right that does pose a problem with new comers. My personal opinion is to use chat. I almost always use chat when I join the server to ask who needs help and where I need to go. Again, I feel TS comms are for immediate impact communications. Assignments are not immediate impact "Duck, fire from the north." that is immediate impact. "Hey who needs me in their squad?" is not immediate impact.
        The new comer problem seems a little over stated for general Evo play, but maybe I'm not doing it right. Here's what I do:
        1. Join TS, find players I want to play with and join their TS channel.
        2. Join the Evo server.
        3. Wait for pause in action and announce my presence over TS: "Hey guys it's whiskey, were are you guys"
        4. Ask if any specialty kit and/or ammunition is needed
        5. Ask SL to mark LZ
        6. Load up vehicle w/ ammo if needed, then fly/drive/ride to LZ
        7. Rendezvous with squad and join the fun.

Is that not right?

Comment

I would like to keep the thread open. More ideas or flaws in he proposal are welcome.
          --
          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            The new comer problem seems a little over stated for general Evo play, but maybe I'm not doing it right. Here's what I do:
            You are not a new comer whiskey. You are an established player, well versed in the discipline and culture and channel system of TG EVO.

Becuase you understand and respect the TG ways, you could probably successfully enter a squad from any number of angles without being a chatter monster. The issue I have been trying to solve is not about you. You do not need a "Bucket channel" called "start here".

New comer = new player. Never played on TG before or maybe only once or twice and still isnt "assimilated" (sorry for the star trek reference...)

Im sorry this distinction has not been better communicated. That is my fault. Maybe this is why established people keep thinking im trying to change their ways. It is not their ways that pummel my squad channel from time to time.
            Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

new comer = new player
              doh! my bad :D

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                If I was on the TeamSpeak DEV team, I'd make the damned thing operate like a real scanner radio -- whereby I can receive broadcasts on mulitple channels of my picking (eg. #8, #24, and #51), filtering everything else out.

Then selectively broadcast out to one or more sets of those channels (eg. #8 & #51, or just #24 alone) as I desire.

LEt me extend your thought one step to the right.....

If i were on the BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE _ ARMA DEV team, i would make the radio work this way. with a real radio interfce for a person who carries it. just like any other peice of equipment available from the crate.

Finally, ill say this. There are a few points of contention i still have with arma VOIP. It is not a perfect design by any stetch of imagination. And frankly, it is linear and not well thought out in design considering the scope and intent of the game. it seems like a simple after thought in design to me. In game voip will not fix our issues, IMHO.

For one, i wish it had a teamspeak overlay type function when using VOIP ARMA. when some one speaks, i would like to see their name flash on the screen. It may not be realsitic, but it is a game after all. i should be able to know who i am listening to and on what channel they are coming through.

But that is just me.
                Last edited by Sleepdoc; 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM.
                Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                  For one, i wish it had a teamspeak overlay type function. when some one speaks, i would like to see their name flash on the screen. It may not be realsitic, but it is a game after all. i should be able to know who i am listening to and on what channel they are coming through.
                  Does TeamSpeak Overlay not fit the bill?

http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/

Comment

SleepDoc it sounds like someone is using a circular saw at (home I assume) cause your mic goes hot on every crash, bang, or rrrreeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrr sound. :)
                    sigpic

Comment

We will put in a channel description on the main channel giving the instructions for how a new comer can get into the game.
                      --
                      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                        Does TeamSpeak Overlay not fit the bill?

http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/

I think you missed my point there JAM.

I use TSO with TS. it doesn't work, however, with the built in VOIP system of ARMA, which was the topic of the post. I can see the way this could have beenmissed though. So i edited my original post for clarity.
                        Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                          SleepDoc it sounds like someone is using a circular saw at (home I assume) cause your mic goes hot on every crash, bang, or rrrreeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrr sound. :)
                          Seriously? My mic is not crystal clear when it opens? i have never heard this complaint before. is this true? is this something from last night? or from the past as well?
                          Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
                            We will put in a channel description on the main channel giving the instructions for how a new comer can get into the game.

more brass tacks. implementation approach. keep it coming.
                            Sleepdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                              Seriously? My mic is not crystal clear when it opens? i have never heard this complaint before. is this true? is this something from last night? or from the past as well?
                              No... your mic is fine bud. But I guess you left your mic hot in TS since last night. I hear some shinanagins going on in the background -- like your mic is voice/noise activated. :)
                              sigpic

Comment

Sry if I wasnt clear.. I was talking about taking the basic TS keybind file (.kbn) in this thread..
                                http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-keybinds.html
                                and updating it.. So that everyone has the same setup.

I know we can set up whispers on the fly.. but I dont think most people will use this option.. as people come and go it will be hard to remember whos whisper I have set up where :)

I do like Panzers new .kbn idea
                                This is what I meant.. just adding to it

Main Channel - "ArmA Evo-Report here-PL" Alt + Numpad 0
                                Squad One Alt + Numpad 1
                                Squad Two Alt + Numpad 2
                                Squad Three Alt + Numpad 3
                                Squad Four Alt + Numpad 4
                                Air Element Alt + Numpad 5
                                Armor Element Alt + Numpad 6
                                Air transport Element Alt + Numpad 7
                                East Alt + Numpad 8
                                West Alt + Numpad 9

Whisper to Channel Commander B
                                Whisper to Main channel Shift + Numpad 0
                                Whisper to Squad One Shift + Numpad 1
                                Whisper to Squad Two Shift + Numpad 2
                                Whisper to Squad Three Shift + Numpad 3
                                Whisper to Squad Four Shift + Numpad 4
                                Whisper to Air Element Shift + Numpad 5
                                Whisper to Armor Element Shift + Numpad 6
                                Whisper to Air transport Element Shift + Numpad 7
                                Whisper to East Shift + Numpad 8
                                Whisper to West Shift + Numpad 9

Toggle Channel Commander Right ALT + Right CTRL + Insert
                                Volume Up 10% Alt + =
                                Volume Down 10% Alt + -

Now mind you this is basically taking what we already have and adding to it.. In Evo we really dont need the East and West channels.. We could change these to a more needed channel.. And of course we could change any of these keys to whatever is needed by the whole group ( I use "B" for CC Whisper so that could be changed to whatever is used by all, I can change it back for myself). It doesnt have to be Shift +.. or ALT + .. I think this should be discussed as to what other like to use

Although this is all set up for Evo, we need to make sure this will also apply in Coop. As we dont want to have two .kbn files.
                                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                                E Pluribus Unum
                                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...