X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Comm Traffic/Covering

I generally agree with you SloppyJoe, on all points, with one exception:

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
    When squad members are "in the sh__" as they say, lives are on the line and the last thing they need jamming up comms is a bunch of high level chatter about who's moving where and who gets the Abrams and all that.
    It just holds true that in the reality of playing the game, we found this is a non-issue. In the game, the SL very seldomly hears anything from the CO -- not enough to justify distruption. There's a complete reveral from the AMOUNT of chatter now. It's great!

Further, the CO "asks" for communication. So a "Command to 2" is so short it's not affecting anyone, whether "in the sh__" or not. If the SL doesn't respond the CO is likely to let time pass assuming the SL is busy.

I was curious about this just as much as anyone else. Today, during the Sunday COOP, things fell into place. A LOT of things were going on, but I was able to manage my squad AND interface w/ the CO without having frustrations -- which is why I started this thread in the first place -- to help reduce comm traffic in the SLs ears. :icon14:

SleepDoc is going to produce a new "best of blend" graphic based on our conversation this evening. I think we found the sweet spot! :row__572:

It may come down to having the CO of an event decide which mech is most appropriate for comms at that time: a) Channel Commander + Radio Operators when staffed adequetely or b) Direct Channel Binds like we had today.
    sigpic
    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
      Excellently written long winded opinion.
      Good points. Maybe I haven't seen the dark-side of PL->Squad communications... My experience and expectations is that PL->SL comms would be short and sweet:

"PL to Squad 3"
      "Squad 3, go"
      "Move your guys to S3 ASA and then wait for the Tanks... you'll be following them into town"

Then a few minutes later

"PL to Squad 3"
      "Squad 3, go"
      "ok.. move into the city, and stick close to the armor - your objective is to clear south of the main road".

Then the SL's job is to maneuver the squad around in order to complete the objectives. That's 44 words of "noise". Seems a small price to pay to understand the big picture... ok.. maybe the medium picture. I suppose the SL would then relay all that info anyway, so it may be an even more efficient use of comms.

Anyway - to each their own. This is a style thing and I totally see why people would have differing opinions.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
        Further, the CO "asks" for communication. So a "Command to 2" is so short it's not affecting anyone, whether "in the sh__" or not. If the SL doesn't respond the CO is likely to let time pass assuming the SL is busy.
        That's a good point!

Whiskey: I guess it also depends how much the PL yaps.

I missed the co-op event (had a tabletop game day). So I dunno how effective it was. I tend to think of the "true test" for those large evolution games. A co-op event is likely to gather players, dunno what the roster was, that have a firm grasp on comm procedures.

I would have to say though by your responses that the SL-> PL via parent CC whisper and the PL -> SL channel whisper has a positive effect in cutting down chatter, for other SLs.

In evolution however (I've only seen one game so far that had a PL active), most of the comm traffic is SL <-> SL but mostly SL <-> Air (which right now is both transport, attack helis and jets) and on a big night this comm traffic can get -unbelievable-. SL's talking to transport pilots working on whos going in what chopper and to what LZ, SL's talking to jet pilots and vice versa, cobra gunners/pilots talking with SLs and vice versa, etc. I mean it gets more clogged than a 2 stall seedy bar bathroom. Maybe just because evo has a lot of support assets or something, but it just gets nasty.

The PL/SL thing is a drop in the bucket and I'm sure it helps, but I don't think it applies well to the issues around a loaded evo night, especially with no PL.
        I think SleepDoc's 2 main ideas address these issues by compartmentalizing the newarrival/transport/respawn (while seperating out CAS), and introducing the realistic and immersive RO position.

However, I too await SleepDoc's hybrid revision in eager anticipation.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
        "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
        - Wulfyn

Comment

The comm chatter to the SM's is really minimized with the direct whispers. This would even be true in Evo. The Procedure of asking "Command to Squad 2." then waiting for a response, that is an extremely minimal interruption. The Same for Air. "Air to squad 2" then wait. If something is being arranged with Air, generally it affects enough of the squad that it does not hurt to have them in on it.

You would be amazed at how fast people can pick up on the procedure. Then how much chatter is cut down. If you weren't there at the session, it may not be a clear. For those that were, it is very clear how much less chatter there is.

The exception being the Air Element Channel and Command element channel. As command I had to more than once, reply "Hold" to a specific squad that rang in while I was listening to another. The beauty of the whispers is that I can whisper to squad 3 while squad 2 is talking telling squad 3 to hold and for everyone that is minimal interruption and confirmation that their request will be processed. The Air squad will have to deal with the same issue as command. They will have more traffic, but then again if everyone keeps to procedure, then only 1 at a time will be speaking to air. I believe there are block whisper options available. If you want to just here your SL I think you can do that.

Evo can follow the same model. On big organized Evo nights, if individuals are unwilling to attempt to adopt comm procedure then they are probably unwilling to follow other rules and can get the boot. I do agree CAS and Transport need to be separated. We'll need to work on how to do that though. I think CAS might need only to have a whisper to and from the Air Element coordinator. That way they do not hear any unnecessary comms. This also ensures they are following clear orders from the air coordinator. The SL to Air chatter will be greatly reduced by this procedure. I expect that on the big nights with organized air and ground there SL's and air coordinator will be aware of and following the simple comm procedure of Ask for clearance to speak and respect a hold. Obviously an emergency situation can be announced and should be given precedence, but this is just common sense.

The biggest thing I see missing is the use of TEXT in all of this. If you are hear reading this and writing responses, then in game this can be done as well. The only group that may have difficulty is the Air element, which is understandable. But as yesterday showed, during a hectic battle I found it much easier to be clear and concise in TEXT to my pilot Moore. I used Side chat when awaiting his arrival or giving specifics for him to deliver supplies or reinforcements. When in the helo, I switched to vehicle Channel and was able to provide all my requests for positioning in overwatch and what new pick up or delivery we needed. No response was usually needed. If I need to go to an LZ, that's all the pilot needs to know. Where he is going, what his load is, and when he can dust off. All of this can be EASILY accomplished via text. Very little is needed back from the pilot. The TS comms should be reduced to the Air Coordinator assigning a pilot to a SL. Once that happens the SL or SM should then use Text to the pilot. There is no reason why not to do this. The Pilot on the ground can use text to confirm, in the air, the pilot is in charge anyway. If there is a major change in orders it will come down from the Air Coordinator anyway. Or can be accomplished via Text in vehicle Channel. Do not underestimate the power of Text. Using TEXT in Sunday's event, reduced a tremendous amount of chatter from me to Air and back. Less Chatter = Goodness. As I have said before, cross channel TS comms only need to be for immediate impact situations or direct requests. Both of which should be short and quick.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X