Non-evo server - mission selection help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-evo server - mission selection help

Last night we hit the server with 8 guys ready to roll, but had no idea what >75% of the missions were about... or, more importantly, how many players they required for that matter. Initially, we picked one out of the hat - don't remember the name... "Silent Strike" maybe?... anyway, we got totally smoked by droves of AI. So we then went to old-faithful ("Desert Ambush") and had fun.

How much effort would it be to rename the missions with some standardized naming convention? I think this would help tremendously. At a minimum, we (players) need to know A) recommended/min/max player counts per mission and B) if the mission is a day or night operation.

I'd love to see the player-counts added to each mission name... at the very least. If we then went in and added a "_nvg" suffix to missions requiring night vision goggles (or "_InfOnly" or whatever else) that'd be a bonus too.

Thoughts?

Re: Non-evo server - mission selection help

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    Thoughts?
    My thoughts exactly.
    | | |

Comment

I know the Mission list is a bit overwhelming... I have recently started keeping a notebook of what I have played and if it works or not.. Hoping to get the list weeded out.
      The mission naming convention unfortunately is up to the mission creator. You will notice quite a few with the name like Co12_****** , which is fairly easy to discern as a 12 man or less coop mission. Some are named Example_Co40 , which is a 40 man or less CooP...
      ..and of course some are named without any numbers or designation. So it's a toss up. Access to the server box is limited so that means only a couple of the Admins have the opportunity to rename and organize this list.
      What I request is that if you Play a mission, please make remarks on paper and then PM me and I will get the info to the appropriate parties.. Any remarks like, doesn't work, buggy, very poor etc.. and we will get it yanked..
      And while on the topic.. If you are out Pubbing on another (What you talkin' about?!?) server... and come across a cool mission..write the name down and make a request.. and we will try to honor it!!
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

It would be nice if there was a mod that allows you to click on a mission and pop up some more information on it before you select it. a simple "read more" text thing with maybe a simple "screen shot" form it that allowed players to remember it.

That would be hugely helpful.

Shiner?
        Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

It would be lovely...
          I think at this point if we could organize them and post them in a Sticky Post..with a URL link to it's respective Armaholic page or wherever... It would at least help...
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

There is only one to remember if you have more than 8 or so people.. RTS :D

Its like EVO, except against real people.

If you're craving more realism, then any of the ShackTac A&D missions are great fun.
            TG Regular
            TGU Staff
            ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
            Evil Koala
            LeftSkidLow

Comment

We actually have a couple threads in the Mod and Mission forum that started to have descriptions and reviews of each mission. We have been lacking of late of keeping that updated, but I think that we should resurrect it. All are welcome to have input or feedback on mission you come across. As for the naming scheme, PearDog hit on it earlier, we are not changing names due to respect the creators work. By changing the name, we essentially have edited his/her mission.

Mission Link
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                we are not changing names due to respect the creators work. By changing the name, we essentially have edited his/her mission.
                Seriously?!? :row__687: Adding a number as a suffix to the mission-name (or moving the "co12" from the end of the name to the beginning) doesn't seem like it would disrespect to the author or cause any ill-will??

Comment

I am always amazed how sensitive poeple are about their content, which they distribute feely on the internet. TheBigC is correct that some one will likely piss a fit. Stupid as it would be.
                  Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                    By changing the name, we essentially have edited his/her mission.
                    I find this very, very hard to swallow. Changing the names to reflect a useful naming convention is an entirely reasonable thing to do.

Comment

Let me give you a example on how it might affect things. Each persons mission is rated. Yes there is a universal ranking for every single mission that has ever been played on every single server on the internet, since ArmA was realease last year. Now if you change it by one letter, you took a authors credit away from him because he does not receive full ranking for that map being played somewhere under the original name he created. I am not trying to be anal, just respect that fact they named it like that for a reason. Now if someone emails the mission creator and he is cool (which some are), than no harm no foul.

Do I think people should label there stuff better, hell yes.
                      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

And before everybody asks for the links!!!

Sever Listings

TG Evo Server - remember this is a newer server so little history

TG Co-Op server There are 71 one pages of history on every mission ever played here sinec Dec 8

From the above links you can search whatever you want to find out everything from what missions are the most popular to who played what mission on what server at what time since the start of any server across the internet.

It is kinda neat to see it all....

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                          I find this very, very hard to swallow. Changing the names to reflect a useful naming convention is an entirely reasonable thing to do.
                          You bet it is. And a reasonable person wouldn't mind. It is not the reasonable people that makes the BigC tip toe around this issue.

We have all encountered the unresaonable people out there on the internet. And sadly, we often think carefully about our actions becuase of their unreasonable intensity on otherwise meaningless issues.

The question is .....

"Should TheBigC not worry about the occasional unreasonable angry whiney map maker at the expense of this great idea ......"

Should the "greater good" for TG over rule...?

As he is leadership, I think the choice is his. (theirs?)

If it was my show, I would take the risk and eat the heat of it ever came. It is not my show however, so I am comfortable with his decision.
                          Sleepdoc

Comment

Are there "dont mod this mod" things you agree to when you download and host the missions? I mean... could you take one and build on it to make a new mission?

Comment

As a rule of thumb at TG, we respect peoples mission. We have the ability to make our own content based on an idea or we simple ask the developer and they normally will make changes based on our requests.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X