Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The A-10 in Evolution.

Hey guys,

Last night in the evo server i got the chance to fly the A-10. I was just curious to see what everyone thinks of the A-10 in this game.

I felt more like i was taking something from the team rather than helping out. It only took me a few passes to clear the area of all the armor. It seems to me its really not challenging, or mabey i just had a bit of luck? I'm not sure as it was the first time i've flown it multiplayer. Not too mention shooting down the SU with the cannon was no trouble at all. Theres something wrong with that all by its own. lol

So what does everyone think? Better to leave the A-10 alone, or does everyone appreciate the armor clearing? Should it be left to the ground units and the cobra? Atleast the cobra is challenging.

Re: The A-10 in Evolution.

Good points on the gameplay issue Maciver. I don't fly it but have been meaning to give it a try.

I might suggest using this bird in conjuction with an infantry squad who is requesting close air support. That'd be a better use of the asset, I think, than attacking armor as a lone wolf.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

yep its got one deadly 30mm cannon. No wonder they call it the avenger...

Comment

Personally I think all fixed wing and AH1 are overbearing in most of the current missions. If utilized only as a support role, when somebody calls for Close Air Support, than it is differnet. But if you are just going to fly around and lay the smack down on anything you see, it will kinda ruin the gameplay.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Maciver,

You are right. When used properly the Attack Aircraft in the mission, make the game easy. It is actually silly to see any of the Harriers, Cobras, or A-10 downed. When these weapons are deployed with any kind of a skill they can conquer any city with minimal effort. All can engage the enemy outside the range the enemy can engage them. The exception being when an SU-34 attacks them.

The harriers add a little team work in needed a laser opperator, but the Cobra's and A-10 need no help and in my opinion generally do not serve the team as much as the individual.

When these high powered air weapons are used with teamwork in coordination, they can be good fun and a great asset to the team. This usually happens when there is an Air Coordinator and Platoon Leader. I know on more than one occasion I was quite happy to hear the Air Coordinator confirm my CAS request and see the A-10 come down an eliminate a target. However, when there is not that kind of coordination and the pilot is not waiting on station for request, but engaging freely. I think that takes a lot away from the ground personnel. They don't get the satisfaction of engaging the enemy and they have to watch out for friendly fire.

Your observations were correct Maciver, in general the A-10 is more powerful than needed and can take a lot of fun away from infantry or ground based weapons platforms. However, if you are willing to be patient and respect the ground team and answere their calls for help, this air craft can be a blessing and fun for both. What the more selfish pilots do not understand, that despite this being more of a sim than a game, is that this is still a video game. There is no satisfaction watching someone else destroy all the targets and clear the enemy like there would be in real life. There is no prize for completing the mission. I nor most anyone else wants to spend 3 or 4 hours walking from city to city just to watch an aircraft blow stuff up, there's no satisfaction in that. The enjoyment comes from participating as a team and completing the mission.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

tHA_KhAn has effectively expressed my opinion for me. Far too often have I assembled with a ground squad, laid out plans, gathered ammunition and equipment, etc., only to find a town either cleared on our approach, or devoid of enemy aside from a token garrison of surviving infantry who somehow managed to survive the bombardment. I mean, It's nice to actually FIGHT for a town. A grueling 30 minute firefight is a welcome event. I'd rather not re-create the First Gulf War.

So please, pilots(though this problem extends to the M1A1s as well ) , only use those aircraft(Including attack choppers of every kind ) in a strict support role. If anything, when aircraft are applied in an "as requested" role, they can enhance the experience. Self-restraint and enforcement must come into play if we ever hope to make this more than talk, however.
            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Yip Yap Yup got to agree with the trend of this post.

I think air craft should be under the contol/request of the ground troops and not just set off and fly the towns bombing & gunning all.

I too have experienced the no assets left because of the far to efficient top cover.

Maybe one way would be to up the number of enemy air bandits, that would surely cut down the sorties flown freely.
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Barnaby,

Adding air bandits would only hurt the folks who actually try to work as a team with the ground. The problem style guys are the ones who get shot down and just grab another vehicle or play ENG so they can repair their downed air craft.

Outside of getting shot down by other enemy aircraft, losing an attack air craft in this mission should be a complete rarity. The Cobra's, Harrier's, and A-10 should never get shot down by anythign but the SU-34. If they do, their pilots are not being careful or using the craft in the appropriate manner. All of the above mentioned weapons can eliminate enemy armor at great distances, yet you see tons of downed air craft in the middle of cities. This is due to pilot error and are usually the same few people over and over again. When I log on the server and see downed Cobra's inside a hostile zone, it makes me laugh. There is no reason for that, but it happens every day.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Thanks guys, I was just curious as to how the community feels. It wasn't even really fun at all. I'll stick to Lock-On for my A-10 fix. :)

As for the cobra, I don't think I feel the same way. It takes alot more skill to fly, and while it is still just tab-fire, it can still be difficult sometimes. But we arrive back at the same problem, once the shilkas are down the rest of the armor may as well be history.

The idea, in theory, of requesting air support is great, although it is kind of disappointing. What I mean is, say someone logs in feeling like they want to pilot one day. So that person just sits on the tarmac waiting for a call that may or may not come? Sounds like fun. Transport is fun as well, but we are so organized usually that it's not a constant need. The one instance I can see a need for the combat aircraft is when there isnt alot of infantry perhaps?

Mabey I will avoid the issue and stick to ground pounding since the vehicle models are pretty horrid anyway. lol

Comment

I'm gonna go with what Silas said, and say that Khan said what I would have said. Because if given the chance to say it, I would have said it just as he said. :p

But seriously.. All the attack aircraft, with maybe the exception of the AH-6, are complete overkill for Evolution. Though if used properly they can be an asset to the "wow" factor. Nothing is cooler than calling in an airstrike on a target and watching the devestation. Its only when pilots go lone wolf that problems arise.
                    TG Regular
                    TGU Staff
                    ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
                    Evil Koala
                    LeftSkidLow

Comment

I've only flown the A10 two times in Evo and both times sadly crashed. I've since got the hang of it in singleplayer but the reason I love Tactical Gamer is the rules. Could we have a rule forbiding the use of these said vehicles without the permission of TG /the highest authority in the server? Last night we restarted the server and someone actually flew through all the airspace activating all the AI on the server. This is surely a kickable if not banable offense.Is there somewhere we can post our server rules so newcomers understand go somewhere else to learn/mess around!

Comment

Yes I don't think we differ then KaHn & Evil I too watch in awe when an air strike is called in.
                        The proper co-ordinates have been given for the target run, an over fly has been done, friendlys noted, smoke out then the blood & colateral run is made.

No what I object to is the lone-wolf pilot who flys without any contol or team work and is only in it for himself.
                        Several times we have got SUITED, BOOTED & MECHANISED only to find one of the above have cleared the town of the objectives & most ground troops.

I suppose it is just getting the balance right fortunately most times there is an AIR link and the cooperation does work.

It's just those few times when.................
                        "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

@Curt, I don't want to make the rule No use, we would probably just have Shiner remove them if we were going to do that. I don't have a problem with people using them as long as they use the correctly. Even the Shilka's are no credible threat to any of the higher level Aircraft, If you get shot down by a Shilka in a Cobra, Harrier, or A-10, go practice in single player on how to use them.

@Maciver,
                          You're right it does suck to be stuck on the tarmac, but there are other options. Recon is perfectly acceptable and very useful. Some CAS pilots do that while on station instead of attacking targets. The reason we want CAS support to wait until called is that our focus is on team work here. When there is an organized ground group trying to assault a city in evolution, there is way more teamwork invovled than some guy in an A-10 blasting things. They get priority. If there is just 1 or 2 guys on the server the rules are little more lax. The other problem with these aircraft is the ground they cover. They cover so much ground they Spawn the A.I. at different cities. In Evolution the A.I. do not spawn until someone nears a city. We have had instances where a lone wolf went a sight seeing tour of the island and spawned all the A.I. This degrades server peformance and cause anomalies with A.I. hordes moving to certain cities. As for the Cobra, while it does take a little more effort to fly I guess, it is not any more difficult to elimnate targets with. If you are close enough to a city to get shot at, then you're not using the weapon right. THe A.I. have a really close range of engagement except for the Shilka's. A cobra can circle a city and eliminate all shilka's easily. Then move in a little closer and eliminate everything else all without getting shot at. We have a mission on the COOP server that is just for Cobra's, so if you want to fly in combat and not be violating any rules or ruining the experience for others check it out. There is a thread about the mission around. I know I sound harsh, but it's worth it in the end. There is nothing quite like a night time assault on a city, then calling in an Air Strike and watching the fireworks.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

It's not harsh, this is why I asked. :)

I don't mind sticking to the ground. I have alot of fun with the strikers and humvees as well.

The aircraft in this game are modeled pretty badly anyway. lol

Comment

Well, I'm a big fan of flying, but in Evo games, I'm a bigger fan of getting a squad up and go inside the sity, checking every corner, every yard, every street, until its clear, and I simply HATE it when someone grabs a Cobra or AH6 or even A-10, does one fly by and takes the antenna down before even you can get close to the city! I believe it makes the game boring, as then you have to go all around the city to find 1 or 2 remaining troops to clear it.

I agree with most here. I believe air support should be used only, and ONLY if asked. If a town has too many armor, or is pretty packed, air support is very welcome to take down the antenna, some T-72s and such. But in case we have 7+ people in the ground, should be enough to grab a city by itself.
                              |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X