See ArmA like you've never seen it before

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See ArmA like you've never seen it before

Bold words, right? I'll back it up, no worries. Thought you guys would find this interesting.

The picture + videos say more than words can, so let's jump right into them.

Here's 40+ feet wide worth of beautiful screen real estate. The kicker is that you can shoot at it with laser-equipped, Co2-powered recoil weapons and kill stuff in the environment. (Note that the black borders are only on those screens, the final product has seamless screens)

Here's that same setup, flying around in a helo. This was... "research". Riiiight..
    http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthat...screen_ah6.wmv

And last but by no means least, we have the icing on the cake - live-fire! This is me, with my own personal rifle, with real bullets, shooting bad guys in VBS2. The calibration was off a bit (shots were registering low, hence the many leg shots and near-misses below the enemies), but still, it was pure awesomeness incarnate. Dumped about five magazines through some of my scenarios in a 10 minute period.
    http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthat...yecxi_ar15.wmv

Yay work! :D

Re: See ArmA like you've never seen it before

WOW... very nice D, very nice...

Hey, Can I come over and play? ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Wow. Total cream dream man! Very cool.
      | | |

Comment

SuX0rs! You!!... Ok... Projection on what? Were you tearing up a projection screen (Crazy corporate research budgets!).. or some type of paper? Pretty Freaking Cool..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

And you get paid as well for this.

Karamba Yi Yi Yi
          "I like a man who grins when he fights"
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

its just like a SAT (small arms trainer) range. Im in cadets an that so we go on it a lot on camps, you just lie prone with a few mags and unload into the screen, plus you get the recoil too so it real good fun.

Comment

That was pretty cool. I can't wait till every copy of ArmA comes bundled with an M4. Oh wait, I live in Canada...maybe hell will freeze over first ;)

Anyways, the big screens looked like it would be quite immersive.

Dslyecxi: Did you have the screens on the sides angled to provide surround vision? I couldn't tell if you were using trackIR or just free look, but it would be nice to turn your head 90 degrees to look out the door of the chopper....and actually look out of the chopper door.

Well, I'm going to go back to work on my 19" sucktronics monitor now.

Cheers!

Comment

That's extremely similar to some of the infantry training platforms I've seen. Heh, it's like having your own training center.
                Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
                  That's extremely similar to some of the infantry training platforms I've seen. Heh, it's like having your own training center.
                  Here's a shoothouse we did, it uses the America's Army engine. US Special Forces use this particular one.
                  ftp://ftp.lasershot.com/pub/WebVideos/MMSR.wmv

As to my side of things, we're the only ones that can use VBS2 for firearms training like this. It's a pretty big deal. :)

Comment

Dslyecxi, do you live in the Fort Bragg area? I am currently here, and going to SWC in a couple of months for 18E.

This looks like the EST (Electronic Skills Trainer) that we use in the US Army, except upgraded a little. I'm willing to bet that the only difference is a computer that can handle Arma, and the addition of two more projectors.

I have some videos of us doing M-249 SAW training on them, but they're not very exciting. The EST is a pretty cool piece of work. Normally, the EST consists of two projectors and up to ten small arms, plus two AT-4s (aka M-136), or several M-2 .50 caliber machine guns, etc. If the US Army uses it in real life, then the EST guys have it in their arsenal to use. It's really cool due to the kickback and the realism, however it is not as loud as the real range, and you don't 'feel' the blast like you do in real life, and it's an air-conditioned, sound-proof room unlike a real range, etc.

It's no substitute for a real-life range, but it's great for working on fundamentals, absolutely fantastic at it due to the things you can do with it, like watch the sway of the weapon before, during, and after the trigger is pulled, etc. :)

Comment

This looks like the EST (Electronic Skills Trainer) that we use in the US Army, except upgraded a little. I'm willing to bet that the only difference is a computer that can handle Arma, and the addition of two more projectors.
                      You do realize that I'm shooting real bullets, not lasers with blanks, correct? It is similar to an EST in the fact that it's a firearms training system, yes, but you can group up all the competitors in this field with such a blanket statement - it doesn't account for the unique aspects or the varying applications. There are tons of applications for our stuff - examples can be found at http://www.lasershot-military.com .

Here's a good example:
                      http://media.militaryphotos.net/other/MMSR.wmv

As to me, I'm in Houston, which is where the company is based.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                        Here's 40+ feet wide worth of beautiful screen real estate. The kicker is that you can shoot at it with laser-equipped, Co2-powered recoil weapons and kill stuff in the environment.
                        I was talking about the picture at the top that this quote relates to, where there are four screens together. That quote sounds exactly like the EST, correct me if I'm wrong.

The live-fire video was separate, and amazing. I also enjoyed the live-fire shoot house video. In the video you star in, don't you have to be worried about rounds or splinters coming back at you since you are so close? I know in the shoot house, rounds have a tendency to not stick into walls or the rubber absorbers, bouncing and falling to the ground instead.

I also want to know, where do you get the music for most of your videos? :)

Comment

I was talking about the picture at the top that this quote relates to, where there are four screens together. That quote sounds exactly like the EST, correct me if I'm wrong.
                          It's similar; the devil's in the details. The EST weapons may have Co2 tethers on them - ours don't. VBS2 is an exclusive to LaserShot for the purposes of firearms training, too, so that's a big thing. The software in general is completely different, too. Anyhow, details, details..

The live-fire video was separate, and amazing. I also enjoyed the live-fire shoot house video. In the video you star in, don't you have to be worried about rounds or splinters coming back at you since you are so close? I know in the shoot house, rounds have a tendency to not stick into walls or the rubber absorbers, bouncing and falling to the ground instead.
                          No, the whole bullet trap setup is pretty much flawless. No worries at all.

I also want to know, where do you get the music for most of your videos?
                          The live-fire music is from Richard Cheese, the other vid is from the String Quartet's cover of NIN, that particular track is "Into the Void".

Comment

Wow, no tethers? Do you use CO2 canisters? Are they heavy, and can they provide the same kick that the EST's pneumatic tubes give? Interesting :)

Comment

Dsly,

What field of view, in degrees, does that original 4 screen picture represent?
                              Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X