Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Getting this.

Hello All,

Some of you I know and some I dont but I am considering picking this up to add to my collection of games. I have so far heard mixed reviews of it but thought to myself if there are so many TGers playing it and it is good enough to make Gogeta stop playing CS then it must be pretty decent. I had been watching this for a while before it had been released then forgot about it.

I was a fanatic of OFP back in its day and played it religiously and I assume most of the same mechanics from that game have been carried on into this one. I mainly stick to Counter Strike as of right now but am more then willing to bounce between. CS is fun and all but I am looking for something more realistic also without the BF2 dumb down in gameplay and mechanics. Any advice and opinions are apprectiated.

HardCa$h

HardCa$h

Re: Considering Getting this.

If you like First Person Shooters, if you like teamwork, if you like realism, and above all, you have the patience to make all those things work together (sorry to say, but usually CS players lack that as much as BF2 players, as they're used to spawn-and-kill, but there are exceptions), then this game is for you. You die, expect at least 5 mins to get back to the action, either waiting for air transport or drive one yourself. The place is pretty huge.

I haven't player OFP, but I read in many places it is a much improved version of the game, with some changes and better graphics.

If you want my opinion (played CS, then BF42, then BF2, then PR, and now finally ArmA) I LOVE it, and it was worth all the effort of getting it since I don't live in the US and had to wait 2 months and pay lots of taxes for it to arrive in Brazil.

Hope it helped ;)
    |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Originally posted by HardCa$h View Post
      Hello All,

Some of you I know and some I dont but I am considering picking this up to add to my collection of games. I have so far heard mixed reviews of it but thought to myself if there are so many TGers playing it and it is good enough to make Gogeta stop playing CS then it must be pretty decent. I had been watching this for a while before it had been released then forgot about it.

I was a fanatic of OFP back in its day and played it religiously and I assume most of the same mechanics from that game have been carried on into this one. I mainly stick to Counter Strike as of right now but am more then willing to bounce between. CS is fun and all but I am looking for something more realistic also without the BF2 dumb down in gameplay and mechanics. Any advice and opinions are apprectiated.

HardCa$h
      Try the demo out (keeping in mind that it doesn't run as well as the retail version) to give you an idea of game mechanics.....

Don't get too hung up if you dislike the SP...the MP is where it's at and interest seems to be growing exponentially here at TG. Try it once, and you'll be hooked!

Comment

If you liked OFP..and have been playing linear shooters such as CS and BF 2 ...and want a bit of freedom... Then this is a must get... It's still in it's infancy and new mods are coming out all the time.

Grab it and you will not be sorry (assuming your system can take it...)
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Yeah, what everyone else said. As a recovering CS:S addict, I have to say this game is better than methadone.
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
            Yeah, what everyone else said. As a recovering CS:S addict, I have to say this game is better than methadone.
            LMAO!

ArmA is definatly where its at, so much so that I have uninstalled BF2. BF2 and especially CSS are both childsplay compared to ArmA. An the Arma Community in general even in a server other than TG is much better than BF2. I personally have fun and enjoy the game even if the server is empty and I just run a squad of AI. Quite frankly runnin with 6 AI in this is more pleasurale then playing with some the CSS noobs you see these days, the AI actually listen and obide lol
            PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

I think you'd like it cash, but it is a little less jump on for 30 minutes and play than CSS. Unfortunately it's mostly Co-op so I can't kill you, which I guess is a bonus. :)

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
              "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
              - Wulfyn

Comment

Welcome HardCa$h. I think you will recognize allot of faces here at ArmA. You of all people would appreciate the real time simulation this game is. It is nothing like other games you mentioned, but it is exactly like OFP but way better though improvements. Trust me when I say you will not be disappointed with the way OFP has evolved into ArmA. Now if I can convert Gogeta to the dark side here, you would not be a hard sell!!
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

If you loved OFP you will be hooked on ArmA quick.
                  To me it was hard to get used to the clunky controls.. some dont like them at all.. IMO the player just has to be prepared to be ambushed at all times.. No twitch skills needed here. At first I thought the bots were not so bright.. Friendly and enemy.. Well, In fact, they are not very bright.. But just when you think you have them figured out, they throw you a curve ball.. Last night I found that one bot with super skillz, got killed by the same bot twice :/ He knew I was coming the first time.. and then was waiting for me to come back the second time:/

I played the demo when it was released... loved it... then they patched it and had serious issues with it... After reading so many players praising the game and kids crying about it worldwide. I had to buy it the week it was released here in the States.
                  Im a huge BF series fan.. well 1942, Vietnam and bf2 (and their mods).. but ArmA has SOOO much to offer in its mods and missions.

If you want to check your system specs before buying it.. check here..
                  http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl

At around $40.. The best game for the buck I have bought in years.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I would certainly recommend picking this up. I personally never played OFP, but if you liked it, then I am sure you will like this. The scenario is essentially a modern version of the Korean War, with the Communist OPFOR and the U.S. assisted kingdom in the south. This is a jumping off point that allows for a great variety of missions, including small and large scale combined arms fighting.

For instance, yesterday on the coop server we played a mission which is a personal favorite of mine, which calls for the BLUFOR team to form up on a defensive phaseline in an effort to defend a city from the incoming enemy troops and armor until reinforcements arrive(a couple platoons of infantry and 8 M1A1's ) . Your team is split into three squads and the platoon commander(who calls in artillery ) , each of which is made up of around 12 positions, which are filled with AI if they cannot be filled by players.

Conversely, you may find yourself in a situation where you are a small Special Forces team executing a raid on an enemy compound in the mountains. In either event, the ensuing action is really quite something, easily the closest to reality I've ever encountered.

One thing I recommend is to install a few client-side mods when you get it, such as Chammy's sound modification and SIX Tracer Mod. They really help improve an already fantastic game.

Go for it, man.
                    Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

It's a no brainer. I don't know how you could be a "OFP fanatic" but not get this the first day it was released?
                      We sent a guy to Prague to get our copies LOL ...that's true btw

Comment

I got curious of this game yesturday and decided to try out the Demo, the singleplayer was decent, AI know some stuff but what i really wanted to try was the multiplayer. Unfortunately their were only about 8 servers running the demo, 4 of which were not even up to date and 3 that only had around 1 or 2 people on so I couldnt really get a good feel for the game. So I just got a question for some of you. About on a scale from one to ten when online, how many times have you guys felt that the Frames per seconds drops to a point where its noticable and how many times have you experinced crashes on lets say a daily bases.

Comment

The better question is what are your specs. List them here and we'll be able to help you with more detailed info.

As for me I run an Athlon 64 x2 4800 OC to 2.6
                          2 X 1GB Corsair XMS RAM
                          EVGA 7900GTKO

I've got an unusual mix of high and low settings enabled that make the game very playble in almost all instance. I still get fps slowdowns while in heavy trees and sometimes when there is heavy action. I'm quite pleased with it's performance as the many other excellent gameplay features vastly make up for the occaisional fps drops.

This title is not a twitch shooter and that helps a bit.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

ive got

Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHZ
                            1.5GB Ram
                            ATI Radeon 9550

Been able to play everything so far except for games that require Shader 3.0 and a heavy duty MMO called Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. I tried the beta for that game and it just tore up my PC...then again that game was really buggy and took up around 10GB of hardrive space

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                              Now if I can convert Gogeta to the dark side here, you would not be a hard sell!!
                              Especially given the fact that the M24 is a very similar version of the scout, and well the M107 just speaks for itself. $ you will NOT be disappointed given how much you like to snipe. And seeings how you like sniper stuff... and now that your an SM.... Have a read up about the 4th FR... if you do get into ArmA....it might be right up your alley ;) (link in my sig)
                              Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X