TG Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Training

As we continue to grow here at TG, we are exploring new ideas and methods to move us forward. One of the ideas that have come from these forums that have a lot of merit are the training events. The admin team and I would like to announce that we will begin holding training events as soon as possible. The concept for the events is simple, get everybody that is interested trained up to a proficient level as to make it more enjoyable for all. This training will not be geared simply to the new player that comes on the server; some of the training involved will include extremely advanced ideas and controls as to bring the current skill set up.

None of the training is mandatory, but I think everybody will benefit from parts of it. One thing that we sak from the community is that we start to get volunteers to help organize and execute some of these events. There are some of you out there that have skill sets that can be shared so we can all learn. So the objective is to get YOU to teach these blocks of instruction to us.

Here are some of the Training areas that we would like to start to run:

TeamSpeak - Learn how to properly use TS by switching channels, channel comander, whisper etc.

Basic player controls -learn how to properly utilize all the commands at your fingertips, as well as Team Speak introduction

Individual Weapons and explosives - everything from iron sights to sniper rifles and mines and demo

Basic Movements Formations, readiness modes, basic land navigation

Advanced Movements Veteran land nav, convoys

Ground Vehicles cars, trucks, HMMWV

Armor -the Stryker, Shilka, BMPs, tanks, e.t.c. with the corresponding use of all the positions in them.

Rotary wing flight Learn how to properly fly and engage with a helicopter

Fixed wing flight Learn to fly the planes

Now there will be dedicated time on the server to run these events. If you are interested in running one of these events, please contact me and I will go over the objectives in more detail as well as helping you get started to run a event. The server and the training mission will be provided, so do not worry about those kinds of things. The training areas mentioned above are not all inclusive, we may add areas if the opportunity arises.

So this is your part to contribute, let's get it rolling!!
    Last edited by TheBigC; 08-23-2007, 09:46 PM.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: TG Training

How about:

Leadership training -TS set up and comms, assigning 2nd in rank, weapon load out, platoon, squad, fireteam leadership etc.

I mean most of leadership is a natural ability, but some standard routines might make more people up to the task?

Comment

Just FYI... theres a training mission already on your co-op server... it's SimHQ training... all that needs to be done is the instructor take the squad leader position, while the trainee's take the fireteam leader positions (and any extras can take the soldier roles, but not required.)

You then get instructions in game on mission objectives, the first shows you how fireteams move in in friendly territory, then as you cross the line, Behind enemy lines, fireteams move in a bounding overwatch to an objective, then one fire team will run into a enemy patrol, will lay down and suppress fire, while the squad leader (instructor) instructs the second fireteam to flank left or right, once the patrol is clear, you'll get a new order to move and assault a small town, then once the small town is captured, you'll have to repel (defend) from enemy re-enforcements... then mission ends... if you get killed in this training mission, you immediately respawn where you left off, for training purposes only.

It is relatively easy to complete and takes around 30 minutes... should give it a try, it's based on my tactical briefs which should be read before doing the mission, posted here and updated ones on my personal web site.

It teaches alot in 30 minutes without going overboard, and getting boring IMO.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

As most of you know, there's a TGU rotary wing program going already.
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-training.html

LeftSkidLow and I are available upon request for anyone with questions or needing instruction.
        TG Regular
        TGU Staff
        ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
        Evil Koala
        LeftSkidLow

Comment

The leadership training sounds like a good idea, also, I think explaining some of the jargon used when playing would be helpful.
          "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Originally posted by Taxi View Post
            How about:

Leadership training -TS set up and comms, assigning 2nd in rank, weapon load out, platoon, squad, fireteam leadership etc.
            What I was imagining was that would be spread out over two of the training sessions, but it is included on my list above.

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            Just FYI... theres a training mission already on your co-op server...
            That one as well as one or two other simple layouts will be the format for how we conduct training.

Originally posted by Evil Koala View Post

LeftSkidLow and I are available upon request for anyone with questions or needing instruction.
            I will take you up on that offer.

As for the intent, I am looking for 1/2 to 1 hour sessions. I did not lay out every topic or subject above, just a general guidline of how it will be executed. Some of the things like the 1st block of intruction, which included TS, will probably have to cover more that one session, which is fine.

Continue wth your thoughts and ideas, this will help all of us!!
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
              What I was imagining was that would be spread out over two of the training sessions, but it is included on my list above.
              I'm thinking of a basic set of operational routines a leader needs to address. I mean some people have the experience and/or ability to keep a cool head. For others it can be quite daunting having to think about so many things at the same time and than perhaps for some also communicate in a non-native language.

So a basic check-list/set of routines:

General:
              -How to set up and use channel commander and how do I identify myself and address up and down chain?
              -How to handle traffic on my squad channel and channel commander?
              -What do I do with people not following orders?

At mission start:
              -How many are under my command and do I have to split up teams?
              -Do I have a 2nd in command and is he fully able to take over when I die or leave?
              -What's the objective, zoom in on it on the map
              -what assets do I have
              -Make a plan
              -Coordinate up chain and choose a form of transport and choose an approach (mark LZ if necessary)
              -keep down chain informed on what's going on, give tasks if necessary
              -Allocate assets and weapons down chain

In the mission:
              -Are we safe
              -Am I safe/ in cover
              -Is the plan working
              -things I need to transfer up chain?
              -etc.

I mean it's all very obvious but to think about all that at once when never really having lead before can be quite difficult for some. So I know some or perhaps even all off it might be covered in separate trainings, so no need to redo that. However it still might be good for some if they do several training sessions where they actually run through these operational issues in practise and get some routine in dealing with it when being faced with them at the same time.

Comment

I like the idea of training, better to get training from people who play instead of AI

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I support the training regime here, however it should be broken up into various lessons. Then for each lesson completed, we could get a badge for recognition of successfully completing each phase? Then after we complete all (insert number) phases, we get one final badge indicating this? I could see the training lessons going as such...

(Some taken from other people's thoughts)

1. Movement
                  I. Basic Controls (The keys and teamspeak keybinds)
                  II. Individual Obstacle Course (Test their footwork, make them dance!)
                  III. Squad Maneuvers and Formations (When, where, how)
                  IV. Basic Map Navigation (Navigating a map in cadet mode)
                  V. Advanced Map Navigation (Navigating in veteran mode)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Simulated Patrol (Five to fifteen minutes, from point to point)

2. Small Arms
                  I. Weapon Etiquette (When to raise and lower your weapon)
                  II. Basic Firing Test (Thirty seconds, thirty rounds)
                  III. Ironsight (Shooting targets between one and 200 meters)
                  IV. Sidearm (Pistol between one and 50 meters)
                  V. Automatic (Pull out the SAW)
                  IV. Scoped (One shot, one kill)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Simulated Combat Patrol (Testing you on moving and shooting)

3. Heavy Weapons and Explosives
                  I. Explosives Etiquette (So you don't blow up your buddies)
                  II. Hand Grenades (Timer, bouncing, how far, and how close)
                  III. Rockets and Anti-Air (Firing at moving and static targets)
                  IV. Satchel Charges (How to, use against: buildings, vehicles, infantry)
                  V. Mines (Another when, where, and how)
                  VI. Laser Designator (How to blow up the big stuff from the skies)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Simulated Seek and Destroy (Work with your squad mates to capture and destroy an enemy position)

3. Land and Sea Vehicles
                  I. Even More Etiquette (So you don't run over people, like me)
                  II. Speeds (Fast, Medium, and Slow)
                  III. Maneuvering and Convoys (How, when, where, and why)
                  IV. Armed Vehicles (Discuss TOW, .50 Cal, MK.19 and how to use them)
                  V. Dismounts (How to work with guys on the ground)
                  VI. On The High Seas (Overview of Boats)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Convoy Op (Get from point A to B intact)

4. Armored Vehicles
                  I. Guess What! More Etiquette (So you don't squish your buddies)
                  II. Tanks, APCs, and AA (When to and not to use them)
                  III. Movement and Formations (How to and where to)
                  IV. Dismounts and Support (How to help your buddies on foot)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Joint Land Operation (Capture enemy held town with infantry, vehicles, and tanks)

5. Helicopters
                  I. Air Etiquette (Oh no another boring etiquette session!)
                  II. Attack, Transport, and Scout Helos (How to and where to)
                  III. Movement and Maneuvering (Taking off, landing, staying under the AA)
                  IV. Hellfires, FFARs, and Guns (What to use to blow the enemy up)
                  V. CAS (When, where, and how to help those on the ground)
                  VI. Going Down (How to get out of a falling bird alive)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Ground Operation With CAS or CSAR

6. Fixed Wing Aircraft (Jets)
                  I. Guess What? (Another etiquette session)
                  II. Taking Off and Landing (This is harder than you think)
                  III. Maneuvering In The Skies (Formations, Dodging, Air Strikes, Strafing)
                  IV. Air to Ground and Air to Air (Your weapons and how to use them)
                  V. The Bomb (GBUs and how to drop them successfully)
                  VI. Going Down (What happens when the shat hits the fan)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Air to Air/Ground or Laser Target

7. Advanced Infantry
                  I. What? (Overview of how to be sneaky)
                  II. OK (When to be sneaky)
                  III. Recon, Sabotage, and Sniping (When to and how to)
                  IV. Movement and Communication (So the enemy doesn't see you)
                  V. Engaging (Codes Red, Orange, and Green discussed)
                  OPTIONAL FINAL - Special Forces Op (Insert, Recon, Destroy, Extract)

8. Leadership, Missions, and Operations
                  I. Before The Mission (Planing, Intel, and Equipment)
                  II. During The Mission (Communication, Cooperation, Leading, etc.)
                  III. After The Mission (Debrief)

This is a very basic outline. As you can tell I started to burnout at the end there. I am open to suggestions. I hope this is what we are looking for! :)

Comment

thats a basic outline...let me ask you, when do you have time to play the game... JMO, but some of you go overboard with all this training and simply take the fun out of the game... 1-30 minute introduction to the basics of the game and playing with basic military tactics and dedicated teamwork is all that most can muster... any more then that and you lose intrest... that detailed training there looks more like someone (the instructor) trying to show what they know, instead of teaching.

But of course if you have the following for that kind of stuff, more power to you.
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                      that detailed training there looks more like someone (the instructor) trying to show what they know, instead of teaching.
                      Well I could explain how to teach it, but that might take a few pages...and if I don't show it and know it, how can I teach it? :)

I was just trying to lay something down off the top of my head that would represent a way to realistically carry this out. ArmA is supposed to be a realistic combat simulation and with an open mind there could be potential for some fun here. Instead of having everything ArmA crammed into thirty minutes, and then missing some, why not spread it out and take it piece by piece for a detailed, fulfilling experience. Granted that, like you mentioned, I do have the player support.

But if you don't want to be a part of this more power to you.

o7

Comment

your missing my point nodebate, and turning this into a debate, (pun intended,lol)...

but like you said, you have the player support then I am wrong, and no I won't be apart of training, I barely have enough time to "play" the game.

If you guys want all that real training and experience, might I suggest a Army recruiter. ;)
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

"Dude I heard the army was just like an FPS only with super realistic graphics. But what if I get lag out there? I'm DEAD! And I hear there's no respawn points out there."

I barely have enough time to get on the computer either nowadays, darn you real life!

I just feel it'd be cool to do something like that.

Comment

The concept here is not to make anybody a expert in a 45 minute block of instruction. This is an INTRODUCTION type of training. Some of you here already are proficient in these areas and this may be too basic for you. But that is the beauty of it, you take the training session you need to brush up on and will help everybody.

Comment

Plus isn't this a "game" and aren't we supposed to have "fun?" I'll be there, can't wait. However will it be expanded into individual areas? So if someone wants to be a certified fixed-wing pilot, he takes a fixed-wing pilot course? That way we know who knows how to do their role and who will just screwball around?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X