Evo server on Veteran settings???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evo server on Veteran settings???

Well, guys, today I wanted to play ArmA kinda early, and no one was around on TG Evo, so I just joined Beer Drinking Assassins, which had 4 guys inside. When I got in, I first realized I had no crosshair. Then, after a while, I realized friendly tags were off. And when I went to Pariso to kill some mofos, what I found was really good AI that barelly missed shots and came in behidn walls shooting already!!!! I was stunned!!! Plus that, Pariso was FULL or armour and vehicles and infantry, but I'm not sure if this is result of someone entering and exiting the city or if this is more of a settings thing.

However, I did realize one thing doh: it's a COMPLETELY new game. AI still doesn't position itself properly, but it does hit you more often and detects/fires at you sooner then in the Regular settings, as they also don't stop there aiming at you for a while before they fire, they fire the moment they have you on sight.

My question is: do you guys agree on having those on our server? I'd love to see it on Veteran, as it would require a lot more coordination and communication to get cities cleared.

Also, by using this settings, another problem that currwently affects us would be corrected: CAS strikes... In veteran, it is much more difficult to take armour pieces out, specially when they are in open areas. Air stikes would be much more needed then they are now.

What you guys think about it?
    |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Re: Evo server on [Veteran settings???

Sounds like its worth a try.

Although, I think it would be good to keep the names of people on, not to make it easier to avoid friendly fire, but just to maintain squad cohesion. I don't really want to spend a while making sure the person I'm following in the SL.

Saying that, it may make people more co-ordinated for that reason.
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

I like Vet settings, really alot for the COOP server, but I am not sure what we are positioning EVO for..newbies or the old newbies who need greater challenge. What I do like thos is NO TAGS at all... make you learn to ID targets visually before you pull the trigger. In my OFP days (way back in '05 (?)..I played on a server that was nothing but VET mode, no third person. And guess what..you learn and get used to it... and it adds to the experience. Funny thing is, I work with an Air Force Intel person (Targeting) and she had one of her lessons up one day on the PC.. and I saw a pic and Identified it (it was a Hind I think Mi-24..the really ugly ones)..but regardless..you learn...
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The map restrictions might be a little tough on newbs, but I'm all for the no tags, maybe even no crosshair....except in some cases you lose so many frames it sucks to use iron sights.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Personally I love Vet mode. Having to actually navigate, not sure who is who, increased AI performance etc. All that is great stuff except for new guys. However, if people really like arma and like the style of play here at TG, they will learn to play veteran.

In Virtual Fighter Squadrons (for flight sims like Falcon, Lock on, etc), they will only play on the most realist settings. New guys to the games aren't put off because they have people dedicated to providing training. I don't see why that mentality cannot work anywhere else and people seem to like it when someone offers a class. Lot's of people tend to sign up and lots of stuff is learnt outside of what any manual can teach (e.g. Squad movements, tactics, fire discipline, etc). It looks as though the BigC is looking at training so hopefully we will see more people getting some help.

One question though, If the AI is tougher in Vet, does this mean more strain on the server?
          Jex.

Comment

Is there a way to show tags of people in the same squad as you on Evolution or friendlies within a certain distance?

Its just that in real life you can ID friendlies in your squad because you will know what they look like, but in ArmA, with the generic faces, someone could be stood 1metre in front of you and you wouldn't know if it was your SL or a complete random.

Alternatively, you could just keep the green circle so that at least the squad members can identify their SL.
            "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Vets be good for me, Yes Plz SAR!

Yeah nice twist there GinBoy, Lemon or Lime.
              Only close prox ID would be smart.
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
                Is there a way to show tags of people in the same squad as you on Evolution or friendlies within a certain distance?

Its just that in real life you can ID friendlies in your squad because you will know what they look like, but in ArmA, with the generic faces, someone could be stood 1metre in front of you and you wouldn't know if it was your SL or a complete random.

Alternatively, you could just keep the green circle so that at least the squad members can identify their SL.
                I bet it could be scripted that way. I would say a proximity of 100m would be a good start - a really clever script would allow you to choose the range.
                Jex.

Comment

I will agree that CAS would be far more required on a tougher server. So both CAS and SL's have a responsability.

SL's need to keep tehir CAS buddies in mind.

CAS need to announce their presence to the SL and request targets to keep the SLs thinking about them.

The only downside I see to Veteran mode was the one mentioned earlier. It will make it harder for new guys to get comfortable and get in the groove. The first 5 or so times a person tries a new game is critical. maybe even the first 2 or 3 times. If they get slaughtered and never even see the enemy and find themsleves spending 15 minutes to get to the battlezone and 30 seconds surviving there, you can lose good people. Its human nature. People need to get some kills and see some cool stuff early so they can get excited, get focused, and eventually step up to the next level of play.

In other words, I'm concered if we go Vet right off the bat, we will greatly reduce the number of good people we can attract to our servers. No one can be expected to be excellent at a game as complex as ArmA on the first couple of tries.
                  Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post
                    The only downside I see to Veteran mode was the one mentioned earlier. It will make it harder for new guys to get comfortable and get in the groove. The first 5 or so times a person tries a new game is critical. maybe even the first 2 or 3 times. If they get slaughtered and never even see the enemy and find themsleves spending 15 minutes to get to the battlezone and 30 seconds surviving there, you can lose good people. Its human nature. People need to get some kills and see some cool stuff early so they can get excited, get focused, and eventually step up to the next level of play.

In other words, I'm concered if we go Vet right off the bat, we will greatly reduce the number of good people we can attract to our servers. No one can be expected to be excellent at a game as complex as ArmA on the first couple of tries.
                    Maybe not - most people who come here have probably already played an FPS so should be familiar with the basics. The trouble with this philosophy is when do you go vet? There are always new players so we could always have a reg server.

I would like to think that people who game like we do join a community for that essence, not whether they can hit things or not. That's what brought me here because I was after something different from mindless run and gun.

What could be done though, because it could be off putting as you say, is to have a channel in Teamspeak along the lines of "New to Arma, join this channel" or something else where if somebody new comes along, we hook up with them straight away so they are already in a squad and playing the game.

If new guys are invited to join a squad, then keep them close to you and explain things to them. As a community we should be prepared to give up some gaming time to help newcomers.

If there are any training missions, you may also want to jump off the server and ge them to join a game you host and take them through the basics. I do this a fair bit with Falcon and it really makes people more interested when you take time out to help.

In fact, if any new guys are reading this, if you see me on the server by all means talk to me and I'll help you or if you like, PM me and we'll hook up a bit of training (now that the GF is away for a bit, I have some time on my hands :))

So I feel that encouraging new players with help and involvment will overshadow a veteran setting and will up the skill level of that player :)
                    Jex.

Comment

People playing at TG and wanting to play in the style that we encourage will get past a steep learning curve. I did way back in GR, or anout 8 years ago...
                      Then more recently in Falcon, and now in this. I would say go for the vet, make people learn and those in the know, be willing to teach. The willingness of individuals here to sacrifice their gaming time for the betterment of the group is what I love abot TG the most anyways.

Comment

Why not split the time for each. At first, maybe a night or two of Vet a week. Then as we become used to it, increase it. This gives up the op to attract more players in cadet yet be able to improve with Vet. It will also help those uneasy folks into vet more. One/Two nights a week of Vet isn't bad, then increase it say every 2 months till its a full Vet server. Then we can have a week of Cadet a month, to bring in new players.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
                          I think the 6sense mod markers would work for that... you see all friendly squad leaders.. Not sure about Vet mode..but since that is Server Side and the map markers are Client side..it's shouldn't be an issue..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by J.Agnew7 View Post
                            Why not split the time for each. At first, maybe a night or two of Vet a week. Then as we become used to it, increase it.
                            That is probably how it will have to be done in the start... Strong Call.. I am all for the "Band Aid" approach..but I don't think we would have the great numbers that we do on this server with a direct jump to Vet.. I still see folks complain about no third person view..
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Well it seems to me the only downside stated above is that it will be bad for new guys.

1- As I have read, TG is running some training sessions, and this would encourage people to attend it.

2- Like said above, you learn. It is a matter of time till you can get the most reality from ArmA and have no trouble at it. I remember when I migrated from BF2 to Project Reality... No tags, 1 hit kills, no corsshair and all this crap, even being an experienced BF2 player, it was tough. But in a couple weeks, I had no trouble at all, and guess what, IT WAS MUCH MORE FUN THAN BF2!!!!

I just hate to see all the potential ArmA has, but it being so easy to play. Sincerely, sometimes it just saddens me. Saddens me most when I know AI had a perfect shot on me but it didn't take it because it was on Normal settings. I should be dead, I screwed up, I got flanked, I should've payed the price, but instead I kill the AI and keep on.

Again, noobs will learn!!!
                              |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X