Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look what I found - Operation Flashpoint 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I found - Operation Flashpoint 2?

Operation Flashpoint 2: The Official Strategy Guide (Prima's Official Strategy Guides) (Paperback)
    by Prima Temp Authors (Author), Prima Games (Author)
    Price: 12.99 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over 15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions

Availability: This item will be released on January 16, 2008. Pre-order now! Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.
    from here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Operation-Fl.../dp/0761545611
    Jex.

Re: Look what I found - Operation Flashpoint 2?

Codemasters still has the rights to the OFP name. I'm not sure if they're developing it though. In any case, Bohemia won't be developing it so I'm not too interested.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

On the same token... Codemasters knows they have to step up to the plate and hit a major home run with this game...so I'm sure there listening very carefully to what the ArmA gamers are saying... at least I hope so.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I read a preview of OFP2 in PC Gamer a couple of months back. The footage that they saw had 2 soldiers chatting in a Hollywood movie-esque way before firing off some AT rounds at a tank.

So, I reckon it'll be more like a 360 arcadey shooting game than the military sim that OFP was.
        "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Competition for BIS is good.

With that being said, I would find it hard to believe that Codemasters is going to stay true to OFP's roots and not try to turn it more into something like GRAW or CoD4. I will be skeptical of OFP2 until I've had hands-on with it.

As to the release date, an Amazon release date means absolutely nothing at all whatsoever and has nil credibility. You might as well make up a release date yourself.

Comment

I agree... I wouldn't hold my Breath for 2008..let alone First Quarter 2008...
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Question, of sorts.

BIS: Coded the game Operation Flashpoint, they have the game engine.

Codemasters: Helped publish the game under the name "Operation Flashpoint" and they have the name.

So if I am correct, Codemasters would develop a new engine for Operation Flashpoint 2?

Comment

Correct.

Publishers always seem to get the rights to the name, its why 'Supreme Commander' wasn't called 'Total Annihilation 2' and why (in my opinion) GRAW is so terrible as its made by a different developer.
                "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                  Competition for BIS is good.

With that being said, I would find it hard to believe that Codemasters is going to stay true to OFP's roots and not try to turn it more into something like GRAW or CoD4. I will be skeptical of OFP2 until I've had hands-on with it.

As to the release date, an Amazon release date means absolutely nothing at all whatsoever and has nil credibility. You might as well make up a release date yourself.
                  Sadly i think you're right Dslyecxi (I hate having to type your name, it actually makes me feel dyslexic ;)). This will go down the lines of yet another arcade style shoot-em-up. What would be nice of course is Arma with all the bugs taken out and all the weak points addressed.

AS for Amazon, I have no doubt that release date is bogus and I'm wondering how they can have a publish date for a guide when there is no game?

It seems as though we will never get the tactical simulator that we want unless we make it ourselves. It's almost as if game devs don't actually play games. Personally, having played FPS since Alien Breed 3D (that's going back a few years) I'm constantly asking myself why games don't feature this or that. For example, Vietcong has a great way that implements stances. You've wrote about that before so you know what I'm talking about. Have I seen that in any other game? No. The ability to raise your stance to see over terrain should be a must in any serious FPS and yet Game devs seem to ignore that fact that players want to make use of cover (and hit detection of rocks in Arma seems shoddy as well when you behind them, or is that just me?). Red Orchestra had an excellent system of having weapon resting points whereby you could increase your aim by perching it on an object.

All these games go by and a lot have excellent ideas but then you never see them again or in the next version of a game, the devs actually make a feature worse! It;s almost like they put them in some freezer, wipe their brains and bring them out for the next game.
                  Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
                    Correct.

Publishers always seem to get the rights to the name, its why 'Supreme Commander' wasn't called 'Total Annihilation 2' and why (in my opinion) GRAW is so terrible as its made by a different developer.
                    I completely agree with that. Although, there are always exceptions (like in the English language :D). R6: Lockdown was made by RSE that had been making most of the R6 games up to that point. Utter failure by RSE and I wish everybody saw the video Magnum posted about the horrendus AI. The other irony with Lockdown is it was built on top of the GR engine.:icon_eek:

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I am not so sure it would be an arcade style shooter. Does anyone remember the screen shot that was released a few months back? It showed something similar to ArmA. The scale looked too big it wouldn't suit the run and gun types that would buy it.
                      If Codemasters brought out a new gen version of OFP, new engine etc, etc, they may have a hit. The only competition would be BIS. If there is a game 2 I can't see it being released before 2009, they have to make money on ArmA first.

Comment

Now named: OFP2 Dragon Rising.

Eh wot?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...