Unified Map Marker Usage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unified Map Marker Usage

I'm wondering if TG has a convention for the map markers and if so where is any ref post located as I'd like to read it up.

I know there is a pac for NATO map markers which uses specific markers for specific assets , way points etc.

I think it would be good to conform and standardise these a little more.

Thanks

Barnaby out
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Map Markers

From my experience here, this is a best of blend from what I've noticed and used.

sigpic
    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Cheers Riyker they would seem a good set to follow.
      I'm going to give them a few practice map placements now.
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I wish we could get a map marker mod that did 3 things...

1. made much smaller, yet colorful markers....

2. Made the font size smaller next to markers ....

3. created a key/feature that allowed a player to cycle through making markers in a defined area disappear and reappear based on a keypress (a declutter function)
        Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

I have two comments:

1) The markers for friendlies should be BLUE and OpFor marks RED

2) I think that "Rally Point" mark should be reserved for enemies... there's an icon that's two arrows pointing at eachother that makes a better RP icon: -><-

Comment

Or the one with the flag, that's a good one for RPs.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              I have two comments:

1) The markers for friendlies should be BLUE and OpFor marks RED

2) I think that "Rally Point" mark should be reserved for enemies... there's an icon that's two arrows pointing at eachother that makes a better RP icon: -><-
              I agree .. the "4 red arrows" marker is the default and easiest for marking the many enemy that are seen ,but cant be engaged from the squads present 20.

As stated before, it would be nice if squads would mark themselves on the map with time stamp... It will lower the number of FF incidents... Even if it saves one TK it is worth your 15 seconds to place the map marker.
              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
              E Pluribus Unum
              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I updated the marker graphic above to reflect recent opinions on marker usage.
                sigpic
                I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

nice... except your friendly icons shouldn't be red... ideally.

Comment

Here is my compilation Riyker, I guess we can combine these. RP and Question mark from yours, colors, obj and ASA (Assault Staging Area) from mine and we are good to go.

Comment

Request

Is it possible for somebody to combine all the GOOD icons listed above, colour code as sugested ie BLUE for friendly and RED for enemy then make it a sticky item for easy ref.

Thanks
                      Barnaby

Special special request.
                      Can anybody mod the standard icons so that they become point and relocate. I'm no deep techy guy but as they can be quickly selected for delete could they also be selected and then relocated. As I say I wouldn't know how difficult that would be to do but it would save time and make for easier map updates.
                      Last edited by Barnaby; 07-22-2007, 06:14 AM.
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

After having used friendly "blue" markers, I have to say...I don't like em. Too much confusion on the map when differentiating between dowend vehicles and friendly LZ's. I prefer an off color like Green or Yellow for friendlies.
                        | | |

Comment

Map Markers - Standards?

Just an idea, but how about throwing out some ideas for some basic standards for map markers?

Like, I tend to think of green as friendly, and red as enemy. Maybe blue could be armor, I dunno (what other colors are there?).

It seems like a lot of poeple use the little squares as waypoints, the down arrow or checkmark arrow as LZs, the flag as a rally point, and the big circle as a "my position is here" kinda thing. Then there are exclamations, X's, and a few others.

Anyone know if these are correlative to actual military notations? If so what do they use them for? If not, what should be use them for?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                          "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                          - Wulfyn

Comment

Re: Map Markers - Standards?

For the little LZ 21 etc. squares that I place, the most important thing is to have the marker stand out against whatever background there is, so that I can quickly see it on the minimap when it comes into view. If there are multiple colors available based on the background, then I try to differentiate nearby LZs with different colors so that I don't possibly fly into different LZs.

I am against using 'down arrows' and 'flags' as LZs, because they are much too large. I prefer to use the more precise tiny square instead.

Comment

Re: Map Markers - Standards?

Good discussion, it would make things much easier if we adopted a universal standard for markers in-game. We are also discussing in the admin area how to adopt or not adopt some of the addons that create markers not available to those without the addons. For example, users with the 6th sense can add markers that only those with the 6th sense mod active can see... that is just confusing and less than useful at the current stage.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X