Brush up on SOPs, especially radio/TS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brush up on SOPs, especially radio/TS

Before you push that radio/TS button, ask yourself - "does everyone need to hear this?" Read up on the SOPs if you are unsure of what should be said, to whom, and when.

Last night I heard an extraordinary amount of superfluous communication - often times not even relating to the game at hand. Several times the voice of my squad leader was talked over. I don't have much patience for that.

Not following SOPs can get you kicked or even banned. Pay attention. If you hear me warn you in the game, you can assume I've notified an admin of that warning.

Re: Brush up on SOPs, especially radio/TS

Hooh. Understood sir. I'll clean up my chatter.

Comment

Not only that but the following SOP's seem to be unknown to some or simply ignored. The SOP's were established to provide for a more immersive and helpful experience. Please take the time to read, understand and implement.

SOP (Radio) - The Radio Check
      When you come onto teamspeak we need to know about it. Do not rely on TeamSpeakOverlay, get a mic check and find out where you are needed. Squads maybe full and you can save a lot of time in the beginning by simply asking.

SOP (Radio) - The Contact Report
      This is essential and in fact probably the most important SOP. If you see hostiles, tell the team and give direction (compass heading), distance and composition (i.e how many and what type) as a minimum. Whether they are headed toward or away is good too.

SOP (Tactics) - Fire Discipline
      These are basically

Red - do not fire unless ordered to do so

Yellow - Fire if fired upon.

Green - you can fire at will but use your discretion.

Once friendly fire has commenced, FC is green.

Before firing, if possible, give a contact report.

SOP (Game Play) - Dead Men Talking
      Simply put, do not tell other players where the enemy are.

SOP (Game Play) - Spoiling Mission Replay
      Don't ruin the mission for others who have not played it. Your intentions may be good but the point of playing missions is going out into the unknown.

Last edited by jex; 08-15-2007, 09:04 PM.
      Jex.

Comment

Quick question about the 'Spoiling Mission Replay'.

I understand that saying something like "Last time we did this the AI....."

But is using previous knowledge of the lay of the land to your advantage breaking the SOP or not?

For example, pick a recon/sniper spot that you have used before as you know it has a good view of the objective/city?
        "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Depends on the mission Gin. A mission like Evo where the A.I. is random, then I would say no. A COOP where the A.I. is in the same place, I would try a different spot, unless looking at the map you can tell that is the best place. Example: Only 1 hill overlooking a city. However when there is 3 hills and you know 1 gives you better shots because you know where the A.I. is, I would say try to vary it, then move as you would see it in game.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
            Quick question about the 'Spoiling Mission Replay'.

I understand that saying something like "Last time we did this the AI....."

But is using previous knowledge of the lay of the land to your advantage breaking the SOP or not?

For example, pick a recon/sniper spot that you have used before as you know it has a good view of the objective/city?
            This is a pretty tricky SOP. You obviously can't erase the knowledge from previous tries but you also shouldn't spoil what happens with a mission's events.

Basically, don't mention anything about specific enemy movements or surprises unless you see it or it's noted in the briefing. If the SL gives you an order that will be disasterous (since you know what will happen), don't object with reason that you've played it before. If it's picking a good sniping spot because you know it's a good position tactically, that's ok. Don't pick it because you know an objective target will be crossing that vantage point unless you have an order to be there.

Follow orders as best as possible and try a little to pretend that you haven't played the mission before.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

@Khan, that makes sense, it's pretty much what I meant in that you know you have a good view from somewhere, of whatever it is you need to look at (ie the landscape) instead of knowing that there is going to be AI there.

Cheers both of you, that cleared it up for me.
              "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Originally posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
                @Khan, that makes sense, it's pretty much what I meant in that you know you have a good view from somewhere, of whatever it is you need to look at (ie the landscape) instead of knowing that there is going to be AI there.

Cheers both of you, that cleared it up for me.
                As a good rule of thumb, play the mission as if you don't know where the AI will be and think about what you would do as a soldier in the postion you are in without prior knowledge as to what is about to happen.

OFP missions never really played out the same way twice and I assume Arma is the same. However, we certainly need more missions where the AI is randomised because personally, once I've played a mission I generally won't want to play it again unless it is a particularly good one :)
                Jex.

Comment

Where are all the SOPs I wrote for OFP couple years ago here? Are these translations of them or brand new? It seems some are missing (although I haven't taken the time to look).

UPDATE: Found them in the OFP forum (duh). Bastardized just a smidge but the Arma SOPs still have all the nescessities. Remember the ole "cc" from the Badger days? :) hehe
                  sigpic
                  I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                    Where are all the SOPs I wrote for OFP couple years ago here? Are these translations of them or brand new? It seems some are missing (although I haven't taken the time to look).

UPDATE: Found them in the OFP forum (duh). Bastardized just a smidge but the Arma SOPs still have all the nescessities. Remember the ole "cc" from the Badger days? :) hehe
                    Aaah the good ole days - remember the badger hunt?
                    Jex.

Comment

Hehehe ... does anyone have that "badger, badger, badger..." song?
                      sigpic
                      I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                        Hehehe ... does anyone have that "badger, badger, badger..." song?
                        LOl you mean THIS one?

hehehe - snaaaakkkeee :icon_eek:
                        Jex.

Comment

ahahahaha love that !!
                          Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse