EVO server set to lives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO server set to lives?

Can the server be set to the lives option (i.e. the 500 lives and on 501, presumably, we loose the fight)?

I think I'd enjoy it more if I knew we had a chance of loosing the campaign.
    Jex.

Re: EVO server set to lives?

Now that is a option we could look at. That is realistic but what is everybodies concensus before we make that kind of tweak.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Jex and I were talking about that and we threw around a few ideas. I was thinking that there should be a lives counter and a resources counter. Lives can never be regained so we'll have to make sure we don't die often. Resources can be regained by completing missions. The team loses resources when lives or vehicles are lost. If the resource counter drops beyond certain points, the team loses access to certain weapons or vehicles.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Isn't that already built in in the Current EVO version? 500 Lives..? On startup near the MH6 RESpaWN setting?
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Is turning up the AI intelligence a option being looked at?

Comment

I think both these ideas have merit, but I am not so sure how they will work on a pub.

IMO this "total lives" idea only makes sense if you have a private Evo server that you are playing through with a consistent group of people. That is, unless you plan on staying on the pub from start to finish.

I do like the idea of a resources counter, but we already have a GA/SOP's regarding wasting of resources. I don't think resource counting will deter the people that hop on the server a couple times a week to "have their way with the assets" and leave. Losing access to assets when you are half way through EVO (especially when it's not your fault) would probably generate a lot of frustration.

I guess there is no harm. I never play Evo from start to finish....it is where it is when i jump on the server. More often than not, this has been the beginning of the mission and I have gotten extremely bored of it. Changes such as this would probably make it all the more likely to be at the beginning :(

Comment

Changing AI skill settings would affect all the servers. The current settings are 6 months of tweaking to make it balanced for every mission. I refuse to change them for one specific mission. The AI skill can be modded with a script that can be looked at, but again, based on experience you probably will not enjoy the one-shot head kills from AI at 800 meters if we raise it.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by curtagain View Post
                Is turning up the AI intelligence a option being looked at?
                The side effect like C mentioned, is that the A.I. turns into snipers with AK-47's and PKM's. It's not a practical increase of difficulty.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I reckon we should have another survey so we can vote on
                  1. lives (500)
                  2. friendly and enemy markers on the map
                  3. friendly name tags
                  4. crosshairs
                  5. anything else you can think of
                  Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                    The side effect like C mentioned, is that the A.I. turns into snipers with AK-47's and PKM's. It's not a practical increase of difficulty.
                    Yes and it is ridiculous - we played a coop game last night with the AI turned all the way up and it is completely unrealistic. Am I right in saying that turning up the settings just increases their spot distance and accuracy but not their tactics?

Personally I find the AI to be pretty challenging as they are. Try sneaking into town by yourself to satchel the radio tower. I spent two hours on this yesterday (noone on the server), probing the city for weak points, sneaking in, getting shot, try again.
                    Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                      I think both these ideas have merit, but I am not so sure how they will work on a pub.

IMO this "total lives" idea only makes sense if you have a private Evo server that you are playing through with a consistent group of people. That is, unless you plan on staying on the pub from start to finish.

I do like the idea of a resources counter, but we already have a GA/SOP's regarding wasting of resources. I don't think resource counting will deter the people that hop on the server a couple times a week to "have their way with the assets" and leave. Losing access to assets when you are half way through EVO (especially when it's not your fault) would probably generate a lot of frustration.

I guess there is no harm. I never play Evo from start to finish....it is where it is when i jump on the server. More often than not, this has been the beginning of the mission and I have gotten extremely bored of it. Changes such as this would probably make it all the more likely to be at the beginning :(
                      Yeah I too seem to get Evo when it starts, oh here we go again - Paraiso, Somato, Cayo... I don't need to look at the map anymore and practically feel I live there ("no, no. Passed Mrs Miggins Pie shop, the barrels just sticking out...") ;)

But to continue to play Evo where it's just batting your head against the wall until it topples has lost it's appeal. I would prefer to see us with a chance to loose and if people are careless, then as we draw near to our lives count, we'll have to play smarter.

I can't be a bad thing to give it a go for a few games. It can always be reset and the lives limit can be tweaked as well to find the sweet spot.
                      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                        Personally I find the AI to be pretty challenging as they are. Try sneaking into town by yourself to satchel the radio tower. I spent two hours on this yesterday (noone on the server), probing the city for weak points, sneaking in, getting shot, try again.
                        As do I. It's not a skill thing, it's a matter of immersion and roleplaying. If you play to beat the A.I. because you know they are A.I. and have been to that city before, then it removes most of the fun. If you engage the city as if there was a true "thinking" enemy and from the perspective that you don't know what to expect, then the mission is very rewarding.

Sadly, many gamers feel they have to get the most points or beat things as fast as they can instead of doing a little role playing and enjoying the teamwork and scope of the game.

Also, 500 lives is already an option and can be easily set. While it sounds like it is limiting, I don't recall ever seeing the server stay up long enough to lose even when it was instant respawn. With the 90 sec respond, I don't see the 500 lives actual making a difference, but if it does change the mindset somewhat then I'm all for it.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

As do I. It's not a skill thing, it's a matter of immersion and roleplaying. If you play to beat the A.I. because you know they are A.I. and have been to that city before, then it removes most of the fun. If you engage the city as if there was a true "thinking" enemy and from the perspective that you don't know what to expect, then the mission is very rewarding.

Sadly, many gamers feel they have to get the most points or beat things as fast as they can instead of doing a little role playing and enjoying the teamwork and scope of the game.

Also, 500 lives is already an option and can be easily set. While it sounds like it is limiting, I don't recall ever seeing the server stay up long enough to lose even when it was instant respawn. With the 90 sec respond, I don't see the 500 lives actual making a difference, but if it does change the mindset somewhat then I'm all for it.
                          The figure should be tweaked to find the right amount. 10 players can loose 10 lives in a couple of hours of gaming so that's already 1/5th down.

I agree about your roleplaying comment. Some of us are in it for the immersion and look away from the engine whilst others look only to points and how to beat the engine - personally I prefer the roleplayer.
                          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                            The figure should be tweaked to find the right amount. 10 players can loose 10 lives in a couple of hours of gaming so that's already 1/5th down.

I agree about your roleplaying comment. Some of us are in it for the immersion and look away from the engine whilst others look only to points and how to beat the engine - personally I prefer the roleplayer.
                            I agree with your math, but I just don't see it coming into play. In general a well run squad is not going to have 10 deaths each, even after a few hours. While the deaths are a possibility, I just don't see the mission avoiding a restart before the lives are used. Either in the off times a smacktard or two will fling every vehicle about the map and it's often better to reset than spend 3 or 4 hours recovering, long night, or the stability of the mission comes into play. As we've seen the endless spawn, multiple cleared messages with certain cities. If we knew the mission would remain running that instance long enough, then I think it would be viable. I'm all for setting the option in the hope it improves some of the players mindset about death, especially the ones that don't frequent the forums. In my experience with this option on the server, I have never seen it get close except in the rare case the mission is played from beginning to end. I think I saw <200 lives left once. I do however feel that the little reminder that you contributed to friendly loss count does improve some gameplay.

Just a dash of roleplaying is needed to make even the simplest COOP seem much more than what it appears to be on paper. I'm not advocating full blown getting into character while playing(unless you want to), but I would like to recommend taking a step back from the "Let's score lots of points or Look how good I am!" mentality that is often seen, especially in Evolution, and forget that you've played the mission before and look at it as a new town and unknown enemy. Just because the best approach is known or the best over watch positiion is known, doesn't mean that have to be used. In many cases, looking at the map suggests other places make better approaches while experience with the mission says those are bad. Take the harder road, don't count on the respawn and enjoy the game for what it is.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

but I would like to recommend taking a step back from the "Let's score lots of points or Look how good I am!" mentality that is often seen
                              I think a good move would be to look into removing the scoreboard and death messages. This does wonders to counter this mentality. Although this may not be doable right off the bat, as this is probably something that needs to be done to the mission instead of tweaking a config.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X