Would You Volunteer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Volunteer

I'm making a story board up for a map come mission.
    I can not make maps but I have got some ideas, they may not be possible but hey!

I foresee a constantly varying mission map
    You start off on one mission which you must complete before the next one is revealed.
    All missions are randomised so that there would be no order to the way they came.
    This could mean a mission to start at Paraiso then the next might be an Island of the coast or a town far to the North.

The enemy will have the ability to infiltrate through our lines thus requiring as to maintain top cover over supply lines.
    I'm not sure but I might prefer that Farps be disabled making the supply side that bit more entertaining.
    It certainly would give the fly-boys some active duty.
    The same could be said for the HD rubbers they could become a mini navy fending off enemy attacks from the sea.

This could just be never ending so rank etc would be held or maybe reset every time you die or you get reduced a bit in rank.
    Maybe the way to finish would be when their Supreme General was captured, he of course would be well hidden maybe in a cave, a sub at sea [yeah right], deep in a military base but constantly aware of our attack points and on the move to hide from them.

Not sure how this would balance with limited players but I reckon it sure would give commanders some headaches trying to spot the next attack point and give a better ballance to attack and defence. At the moment we seem to do mainly attacking on EVO well that's how it seems to me.

I would like to see a balance of all groups being necessary air, land, sea with transport and recon-sniper a must.

I have more but you all have probaably hit the Zeds already zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Would you volunteer for a mission like this.............
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Would You Volunteer

I think you'll be needing this.
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...genie_lamp.jpg
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Translating ideas to a real mission that works is a pure art form. The best ideas never really match what you are trying to achieve.

I recommend to all of you to try to make a basic mission and see all the work involved for a simple 5-man mission. It can take months to make a complex mission with all the scripting that is required to come close to any idea. One thing I have found is that due to limitations of making a mission, it will always evolve to something else during the course of making it.

Not to discourage any of you with ideas, but please take the time and make something than you can modify your ideas.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I think it's worth pointing out that until ArmA came along, this type of gameplay would have been unthinkable - although, I think it is safe to say we're not quite there yet.

Comment

Your Point taken BigC that's why I made the following statement in my opening words. but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I can not make maps but I have got some ideas, they may not be possible but hey!
          Also is it possible for the enemy instead of dropping prone and staying there even in the open when they get attacked that they can be made to seek cover quickly???
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Evo seems sort of like this but on a much smaller and not so complicated level. I'm sure this can be done since something similar is in Evo. In Evo, you can get a mission for your squad but they're basically 5 or so different missions. Plus, the outcome of the missions don't really affect the subsequent missions.

Barnaby, this is a large undertaking but I bet it's doable. Hopefully you can get some guys to help you out with this!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Barnaby,
              The A.I. does seek cover. It does move to flanking positions. The problem is if you catch them in the open, they chose to fight instead of run. Many times they will drop and fire back, then chose to run. I don't tactically they can be improved much, at least not from a mission makers side. The A.I. adjustments to my knowledge only allow for detection and accuracy. More difficult A.I. will detect you sooner/further and shoot with absolute precision.

I too would like to see them perform random ambushes, but within the limitation of the game, there really won't be that much random. Everything has to have a spawn point and that spawn point has to be defined, again to my knowledge. So "random" spawns are only random within a predefined group of potential spawns.

This is not at you, but applies to this thread. Much of the immersion Barnaby describes can be achieved with a little effort not to play this as a typical video game. Just because you know the limitations of the A.I. or their "random" spawns does not mean you must choose the best action. I really try to choose new approaches and different means of completing the same task. I've been asked several times while SLing "Why are we going here, when we can go there and...." That's the point, I know where the best spot is, but by choosing a new approach or tactic even one that seems foolhardy due to the previous knowledge allows me and others to enjoy essentially the same mission from a whole new perspective without any kind of hardcore role playing. Simple things like choosing a different weapon loadout instead of rifle with optics and as much AT as you can carry will vary things greatly. Only have 1 man in the squad with a AT tube and have a few carry extra AT rounds. These kind of simple changes with our current and only available persistent COOP allow for much more fresh and challenging experience.

Overall, I would love to see the mission come bout that Barnaby has described. However, I don't think it is possible within the current framework or atleast from hobby mission makers.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Some very good points there KhAn.

It would be good to do a couple of Evo towns / missions iron-sights only and limited AT that would be puuuuuuurfect.
                Certainly it would tighten the the old buttock muscle. lol
                It would make you work harder to snare the enemy armour.

Mind you this is coming from someone who has grabbed a M24 the last couple of nights and sat on a hill top. Most times the enemy go prone and wait for me to work my way through them. Only seldom did any get into cover and even then if you waited they stood up again.
                For me the fun in sniping is fast fading when compared to creeping through the woods or a town expecting to be ambushed at any moment.

Oh and that's another thing the so called trigger point which makes the enemy spawn in. I'm sure I have bino-ed a street given it the clear only to get shot by an enemy trooper who wasn't there when I had just checked.
                Is this just bad luck, or do they wait for you to pass and then spawn in as that's what it seems like.

Cheers
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm glad you see the light Barnaby. By doing the simple task of adjusting kit loadouts, the game takes a whole new direction. CAS becomes much more relevant when there are only 1 or 2 AT men in the city as opposed to 20. If medics only build Mash's at set Rally points on the outskirts in conjunction with FARPS to make little bases instead of putting a MASH wherever or FARP wherever, this can change things a lot as well. If only designated marksmen have Optics, this too makes the difficulty go way up when engaging.

For your sniper load out. Take less ammo. Take some smoke or grenades as well. Then add the additional realistic goal of not being seen. Fire and then relocate if an enemy fires in your direction. A sniper should not be located. Make sure you have a partner/spotter that as a shorter ranged weapon as they would be responsible for keeping your flanks covered after your shots. Most everyone knows they can outshoot the A.I. so snipers tend to stay in their same spot and challenge the A.I., by reacting to enemy fire, you will be forced to choose better sniping positions and the movement and stealth is where a lot of tension can come from.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                    Nice bong, I didn't know you smoked Switch!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X