Questions about ARMA.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about ARMA.

I've been toying with the idea of picking this up and playing it casually. Right now I'm knee deep in BF2142 but since my girl is taking 18 hours this sememster I have about 6-8 hours of gaming time each day and need to fill the time.

1. Is ARMA for the hardcore only and not casual gamers? I understand it's a combat sim and different from what I'm used to.

2. One of the great things about TG BF2142 is we have learn TG squads where people not familar with the "TG Way" can learn and understand how tactics are used. Do these exist in ARMA? I would be coming into the game without any combat sim experience and would need to be brought to speed and would prefer it be done by some of you tactical gurus.

3. Mods. Is the TG ARMA server an EVO mod or is this an expansion I would also have to pick up?

Thanks in advance for helping me by answering these questions. I'm going to install the demo during lunch and to get used to the mechanics before I jump in the online play so feel free to also include any tips.

Re: Questions about ARMA.

Originally posted by D0ubl3Hel1x View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of picking this up and playing it casually. Right now I'm knee deep in BF2142 but since my girl is taking 18 hours this sememster I have about 6-8 hours of gaming time each day and need to fill the time.

1. Is ARMA for the hardcore only and not casual gamers? I understand it's a combat sim and different from what I'm used to.
    You can play this casually for sure, but be prepared to get sucked in! It is nowhere near as fast paced as BF2142. For instance in Evo, it can sometimes take 10-20 minutes just to get loaded up, get transport, and join up with your squad in the field. In general, you can count on long respawn times (3 minutes is not uncommon) and lots of "gaps" in the action. If you are someone who plays for the "experience" you will enjoy this immensely.

The only problem with casually playing ArmA is that the server isn't always populated, so for some quality time, you have to be prepared to jump on the server during the "golden hours"

ArmA is a very open ended game engine. There are missions that play like a BF2 frag fest with unlimited respawns to semi serious co-ops like EVO, to more hardcore, single life (no respawn) TvT or co-op missions. Shiner recently did a poll of the types of gameplay that TG'ers would like to see. The consensus was that people generally wanted co-op or TvT missions with limited or no respawn. These are the types of missions you will be most likely to find.

2. One of the great things about TG BF2142 is we have learn TG squads where people not familar with the "TG Way" can learn and understand how tactics are used. Do these exist in ARMA? I would be coming into the game without any combat sim experience and would need to be brought to speed and would prefer it be done by some of you tactical gurus.
    ArmA almost requires that you are in a squad for it to be any fun. Most the people on the server are more than happy to show new people the ropes.

Each mission (with the exception of Evo) has predefined squad structures, so you just join a squad with your preferred squad leader. Because EVO is join in progress (JIP), it's a good idea to get into the proper TS channel and ask the squad leader if he has room for one more (the answer is always yes). Load up, join the squad and away you go.

3. Mods. Is the TG ARMA server an EVO mod or is this an expansion I would also have to pick up?
    Evo is a user made mission. No purchase neccessary.

Thanks in advance for helping me by answering these questions. I'm going to install the demo during lunch and to get used to the mechanics before I jump in the online play so feel free to also include any tips.
    I would take a cruise through the ArmA forums. Loyalguard did an excellent "introduction to Evo thread" and there are also several threads on keyboard configurations etc. etc.

IMO the most important thing to do before jumping on the server is to set up the TS keybindings properly and read the comms SOP's. Everything else can be done in game. The ingame VOIP doesn't work and isn't used (and actually makes some people crash).

BTW, I think the single player in ArmA sucks, so don't be discouraged if you try that and don't like it. MP is where it's at (again an experience thing I guess). Hope to see you in Sahrani soon!

Comment

x2 to everything JAMerica just said. Don't be afraid to speak up on TS or in game Text. Text is preferable for gameplay questions since it will not interrupt important COMMS. Ask away in game. There's no amount of prep that can be done to get the feel of ArmA. You'll just have to jump in and test the waters. you will find that since there is no ranking or unlocks in ArmA, most everyone is willing and able teacher since slowing down and helping you out doesn't affect much other than time. Check out this thread for mods: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...side-mods.html
      I personally would recommend getting the Sixth Sense mod and then a sound mod. The two combined really change the game for the better. Since you are from 2142 and if you feel your machine has a lot of horsepower you can try out the XAM mod which is a one stop shop.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I should probably make a note here about the distinction between Missions/Mods/Addons. For now, the only requirements to play on the server is the default install of ArmA. At this time, client-side mods are permitted but we do not have a policy endorsing these mods and we may or may not support them in the future. That said, I run the ModWar sound mod and the 6thSense Pack 1.

Missions: The scripts necessary to create an experience in-game. Typical missions (without mods or addons included) do not require any download prior to joining the server as missions not on the players computer will be downloaded on join.

Mods: There are two types of mods. Client and Mission. Client mods can operate JUST on the client and are activated regardless of the mission being played. Sound mods are a good example of a client mod. Mission mods must be on both the client and the server to operate. For example, a mission that has used 6thSense markers will require that all players joining also have the 6thSense Pack 1 installed (which includes these marker).

Addons: Similar to Mods in the requirement of a download prior to playing a mission utilizing the mods, but tend to be focused on one or two primary topics. A typical addon is a user created vehicle such as the Hind. A mission that has included the Hind will be unplayable until the player had downloaded and installed the addon.

More information on mods can be found here:
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...d-discussions/

Comment

DoubleHelix, glad you're considering ArmA, the community can always use new members.

The folks here have posted some good information, but I'd like to add that if you do decide to get the game, you'll find plenty of opportunity to learn it on the Evolution server. Use Teamspeak to identify yourself as a new recruit and any of us will be happy to show you the ropes.

Comment

I appreciate all the help guys. You have answered my questions and then some. ++rep for everyone!

Comment

thx for this post Helix.. I too am thinking about getting ArmA very soon and had the same questions and was a little nervous about joining another new game. thx for all the helpful answers guys.

Comment

hehehe.. new blood.. Welcome to the better battlefield.

The more the merrier. If you not sure if your rig will run a game try this..
                http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse