This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing missions without NVGs...

I understand the missions are brain-dead easy and that's why everyone (except myself, I didn't want to play like that) decided not to use them.

However, if the missions are that damned easy, how about simply playing the game properly and wiping them out easily to facilitate the server resetting and starting Evo over again? How does this time into the whole "we want a combat simulator!" mentality?

Next time I'm bringing my goggles regardless. Not my fault the missions are easy-cheese.

Re: Doing missions without NVGs...

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
    I understand the missions are brain-dead easy and that's why everyone (except myself, I didn't want to play like that) decided not to use them.

However, if the missions are that damned easy, how about simply playing the game properly and wiping them out easily to facilitate the server resetting and starting Evo over again? How does this time into the whole "we want a combat simulator!" mentality?

Next time I'm bringing my goggles regardless. Not my fault the missions are easy-cheese.
    No offense but.... there are an endless amount of squad possiblities for you. You didnt have to be in the one that wanted to try somthing different if it wasnt for you.

From the sounds of it , WE were having alot more fun doing it that way tbh. So it cant be all that stupid of a concept.
    Dizlor

Comment

That's the problem that irked me... there weren't any other squads running at that moment. If the AI weren't aimbots... well, then it'd be a different story.

Comment

Hey Gillespie, I don't think I've gotten to play with you yet, but feel free to jump on the co-op server anytime. I guarantee, if you are on there, others will join shortly. Many people prefer co-op missions to evo, its just that no one seeds it. I'll start being back on there in the next week, hopefully I'll see you there!

Comment

I must say i t was much more fun playing night missions without NVGs, during my time in the Swedish army we only used infrared goggles in the field with infrared lights, we had some NVGs but it was basically only used for scouting missions. The problem in real life with NVGs is that your debt perception goes to hell.
          So the motivation that its not realistic may not be correct for some units, but not all branches of the military get the NVGs.

And the effect with flares were real cool in the dark. :D

"I'm gonna shove the lawbook somewhere where the sun don't shine on him.
          Then he can truly say that he knows how it feels when the laws are used effectively"

Comment

It's much easier to function with NVGs and it's quite logical to think that we should use them because they are there. I like using them for night missions but I do miss the really pretty flare, muzzle flash, and tracer effects. Maybe we do need the old school NVGs from OFP. They were horrible to use but did provide some advantage to seeing at night. Yay for 1980's technology.

The missions that I like are ones around dusk and dawn where you can function almost equally effectively with NVGs or without. And at some point you have to switch in the middle of the mission due to changing light conditions.

Although, this seems to be a discussion of the missions available in Evo. Evo doesn't have a variety of missions or objectives. It's the same old thing again and again. Resetting the server frequently makes it worse. You're just going to have to retake the same town again.

Definitely try seeding the coop server. Jex and I have done it a couple of times. Other players show up before we get through the briefing and kit setup.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sniper rifles and javelins are there too - should we each pick up one of those?

Comment

It was interesting to run a missions without NVG, but boy was it dark. The one rescue mission I participated in (Gogeta SL, find and recover cookie monster) was successful, but I was literally shot in the dark in between flares just before we reached cookie monster. I didn't even see a muzzle flash.

Oh well.

And my apologies for jumping on the server and organizing the air squad only to find out we had no cities left. Always check intel (map) first! And also, feel free to point things like that out to me and others who might not realize the complete situation.

Comment

Gillespie: Like Protoman, I didn't always have access to NVG's while in the service, hence the realism aspect was right on for me. Plus, it was refreshing, fun and looked damn good, too. Some parts were actually scary.

I will agree that when we started these (2100 game time) we could still move around fairly well. By 2300 it was pitch black in some places.

I suggested this because we'd start a mission and end it a minute later. We were looking for some way to make it harder. Knives only wouldn't work, so no NVG's was the majority's decision.

Mosely: the guy that shot you was no more than 10 feet away, behind a branch. When you got shot, we wall started firing like madmen at the branch till things got quiet again. Seemed to work. :)

Comment

I split off and formed another squad and left it up to my troopers to use or not use NVG's. I chose not to. Making sure my troopers were armed with flares brought a nice dimension to the dreadfully easy missions. We did a night patrol that was scary and then a S & R that was very chaotic. At one point we ran out of flares during combat and it really felt hairy.

Loving the coop server more and more. Gogeta and I played on it for an hour or two the other night. I finally learned how to vote myself admin and to open up the mission list. Frankly the only way you can learn is if someone walks you through it. If the interface was more user friendly I think you'd see more people on the coop server more regularly.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I had a blast last night using flares and took a fair few screen shots. Yes the missions are easy but evo is limited and getting boring. It was fun for a while but I think i've exhausted its potential. I'll still play is everyone is on but I'd prefer something with more depth to it.

Coop is great and we need more missions that require less players (6-10 ideally). We should (hopefully) have a mission pack out in the next month or so :)

Check the AAR forum in a while, I'm uploading some screenshots I took last night of our evo missions :)
                      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                        Check the AAR forum in a while, I'm uploading some screenshots I took last night of our evo missions :)
                        Excellent!
                        Dizlor

Comment

Last night was a ton of fun. I'm all for realistic tactics and experiences, but when sometimes it is fun to just to go outside the box a while and do something crazy. It is just a game and evo is getting boring so anything other than the rinse and repeat cycle that evo is becoming is welcome. Next time we can have a FFA last man standing deathmatch at base. NVG's optional :P

Comment

It was damnnn fun, doing it without nvg and, looked damn pretty, with lighting effects, also made it more scary, Im sure gonna be doing more without nvg :)
                            PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

I did get a chuckle everytime the squad jumped out of the Blackhawk and left Gillespie sitting in there by himself.

"I don't like your game! I'm gonna sit here and wait in the car!!"

Good times last night. Sorry it wasn't for you, Gillespie.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X