How do you rate Arma weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you rate Arma weapons

This has been bugging me for a while now and would like to get some opions on the weapons East v West.

To me it seems as though East weapons are inferior to West weapons. Accuracy, kickback, iron sights, range - all seem to be worse. I don't know if they are worse (hence this thread) and would like to get some informed opinion on the matter.

For coop gaming it doesn't bother me a great deal but for TvT, I always feel that West has an advantage on weapon loadouts and if that is actually the case, then future TvT games should allow everyone access to the same weapons?

J.
    Jex.

Re: How do you rate Arma weapons

I think in ways they are inferior. But I also believe the East weapons aren't meant for overall use. I think they are more for CQB(CQC). Due to the large amounts of kick back and lack of scopes.

However. Due to these reasons, why not change the way we use West side weapons. Only SL's of Sniper teams and reg inf. get Acogs as they need them to control the fire and where the EI is. I don't believe everyone else should have ACOG's and all run around with it. I believe everyone else should have Regular M16's, a guy with a SAW and a guy with a M203(ironsight). And I don't believe we should use the G36 and so on. If we are doing a Royal military excersizes, then i agree 100% in using G36. But the game is based on US military(correct me if I am wrong). I find this is the major reason the fights are unbalanced, because everyone has a scoped rifle on the US side. Make it more "real life" ish and fair, only SL's should have ACOG's and only SF should have the Aimpoint. Use the Iron sight. It's not that hard. Infact I prefer Irons a lot of the time. I will use ACOG's but, If I'm against a real opponent I will use Irons. If all US has scopes the East are at a severe disadvantage. Thus they have to adapt and bring you in to the city for th fight, which is a very logical and useful tactic. But not all pub players do that.

Therefore, in conclusion. I believe that only PL's and SL's(including spotter for Snipers) should gain ACOG's. In addition, only SF should gain Aimpoints, unless otherwise stated and a good reason for it. Everyone should use Reg. M16's,M4's, M16/203's, and SAW's, etc. while in battle with Live opponents. I believe ShackTac does this not only with TvT but also with Coop.

Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by J.Agnew7 View Post
      I believe ShackTac does this not only with TvT but also with Coop.
      We do, and get far more enjoyment out of our games because of it.

Until there is a reliable, realistic ballistics mod, then ACOGs and sniper rifles are I Win buttons.

Comment

I genreally don;t use sighted weapons, just Iron sights and even then, I still think west has an advantage over east.
        Jex.

Comment

Jex could you explain your view on this and why?

Comment

I disagree. The russian equipment has its advantages and disadvantages, just like everything else.

An M16 is easier to shoot at long distance due to its peep sight and small front post, but difficult to use for CQB due to the limited view through the sights.

The AK is difficult to shoot at range due to its standard blade sights and lack of elevation adjustments, but are excellent at close to medium ranges due to a less obstructed view.
            TG Regular
            TGU Staff
            ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
            Evil Koala
            LeftSkidLow

Comment

I prefer iron sights. My weapon of choice outside of the LMG's is the m16 w/203. I love the iron sights. I seem to get more kills with it than an ACOG anyway.

I have to agree with koala, the east weapons behave well in situations that play to their advantage. The AK seems to be superior in CQB to the M16.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I agree with Koala east and west weapons are both good and bad depending on the situation.Very frequently when in CQB situation I move with the sights up. It's difficult to do with an M16 w/ irons, but very easy with an AK. At long range however the situation is reversed.

In my opinion they should not be balanced. Being a simulation if all the weapons were balanced it wouldn't be a simulation anymore.

Comment

Jex could you explain your view on this and why?
                  Lately I've been playing abit of TvT and got to wondering how fair the balance of weapon is. If I play one side, am I at a disadvantage and if I am, why not give both sides the same weapons to choose from.

Whether it is realistic or not is not really the point unless you wish to recreate that setting. People generally want to play on an equal basis and I would not want anyone playing in a TvT contest thinking they are going to be outdone because they don't have access to particular weapons. As this is a game, shouldn't all things be equal?

So I posted this up to see what other's thought of the weapon balance and whether there was any interest in giving access to all weapons for TvT play. It seems that if we fight in a city, east has advantage. This tends to be the order of play in a lot of tvt maps and I don't really see any ranged maps out there.

I'll play with what I have and I'm not one to complain, I just wanted to discuss the balance of power I guess.
                  Jex.

Comment

Equipped with the Dragunov and properly positioned you can pretty much match any of the western counterparts. Noted you need to keep some distance between you and your counterparts.
                    --
                    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
                      Equipped with the Dragunov and properly positioned you can pretty much match any of the western counterparts. Noted you need to keep some distance between you and your counterparts.
                      But that's just one rifle. How about the more common items - Assault rifles and MG's - how do you think they compare?
                      Jex.

Comment

You said in an Urban environment East has advantage. I would disagree with that. The Ak's and suckhhave a more "open" iron sight giving you an advantage of seeing things you may not see through a M16 or M4 iron sight. And i believe the AK's have a higher rate of fire. But i may be wrong on that. Within a open long distance fight, yes West has the advantage, in door to door, room to room fighting, i would say AK's are better.

That being said, the East has to use that to their advantage, you must "hide" in a sense untill you can drag the east into the city where you are at an advantage. If you decide to fight on the desert then you will probably loose. Bring them into the city or a dense forest, I think you will have a better chance at winning.
                        Last edited by J.Agnew7; 09-22-2007, 09:39 PM.

Comment

East = AK's etc - your post isn't making sense as you are saying that east is better at longe range and CQB, but I'm sure that's not what u mean :).

Also, the M4 has the aimpoint, specifically designed for CQB isn't it? Russian weapons have no such equivalent do they?

But I think we're digressing off the point I'm trying to make. So let me ask this- In and urban environment, what would be your weapon of choice?
                          Jex.

Comment

sorry i got my East and West mixed up. I will fix my post.

I don't know what i would rather, I guess it depends on the situation. But over all. I like US weaponry, Maybe because I was brought up in North America and we are stubborn thinking people that we have the best(not all of us, but programs on TV "tell" you that US weaponry is the best). However if I was brought up in a country like Russia would I think AK's were better, most likely, it seems reasonable?

But I don't think the gun should change how well the player plays. Thats like saying the boots make the footballer(soccer player). I guess it depends o how you look at it.

Comment

sorry i got my East and West mixed up. I will fix my post.

I don't know what i would rather, I guess it depends on the situation. But over all. I like US weaponry, Maybe because I was brought up in North America and we are stubborn thinking people that we have the best(not all of us, but programs on TV "tell" you that US weaponry is the best). However if I was brought up in a country like Russia would I think AK's were better, most likely, it seems reasonable?

But I don't think the gun should change how well the player plays. Thats like saying the boots make the footballer(soccer player). I guess it depends o how you look at it.
                              Yeah I too suffer from indoctrination and automatically want to play west. However, I think the boot analogy doesn't work here as we are talking about an unrealistic game and the fact the different weapons have different characteristics. I agree that tactics can be employed to counter these differences but at the same time, if one rifle fires better than another, and is not available to the other team, what does that say about fairness of play?

Just to point out, I'm not advocating that either one is the way forward, I'm merely throwing this out for debate.

Another thing to consider, the weapons are not accurately modelled and the AK can loose a lot of its advantage from its suppression factor i.e. does an AK round have louder sound as it passes by, does it thud into the ground harder and louder making it more noticable than say a 5.56 round? A 7.62mm round will demolish a wall a lot quicker than a 5.56 round, will have more penetration? These things aren't modelled in game - what do we have now - just the muzzle velocity and damage? Small pieces of wood will protect me from most rounds.
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X