Do Iron sights rule?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Iron sights rule?

I've never tried the 107 yet. The M24 seems to like me, though I rarely use it. Yet all the other scoped weapons (i.e. ACOG, Aimpoint, g36, etc) I seem to have a lot of difficulty with. I aim the cross hair on target and the bullet falls low, so my next shot I aim a little higher and the round hits 50m above him. I seem to go through this dance of low/high and then I seem to hit the guy with my original aim point.

Switching to Iron sights, I find that I can pretty much hit most things out to about 400m in 1 or 2 shots (framerate depending). With a scope It can take 4-8 shots.

I find that with Iron sights I am consistent but with scoped weapons its random whether I'll hit within the first fwe rounds.

I have noticed a lot of other players using iron sights and wonder if others share the same experience I do? Scoped weapons should make it easier for me right? But I find it the other way around.
    Jex.

Re: Do Iron sights rule?

I personally like the Iron sights more then scoped. However I hate how the M203 leaf is "stuck" up, which in some cases really kills ur view on a target, you see him in normal view, go to irons and loose him due to the leaf sight, i wish u cud put it down.

On track, yea I prefer Irons in most cases, if not all.

Comment

I'm still new to ArmA but I'm finding I like the iron sights better. The aimpoint is a little to vague for me and it obstructs my view to much. Second I find that the iron sights seem to zoom in more.

The ACOG is a double edged sword for me, it's nice at medium range but any closer and it is difficult to target with compared to the other sights.

I would find the rifle/sight combo that works for you and go with that. If you are worth more to your team with a plain M16A4 iron sight vs. an up sighted weapon go with that, not as glamorous though ;)

Comment

If you're having trouble with accuracy, make sure you're holding your breath.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
          If you're having trouble with accuracy, make sure you're holding your breath.
          Holding my breath or not makes no difference, and anyway I owuld suffer the same problem with iron sights if it was due to that. I have no problem getting the x-hair where I want it, I just seem to find that my corrections don't make sense.

@Agnew - Yeah that leaf is very annoying and I don't even think it works, does it?
          Jex.

Comment

I have the best luck with iron sights too, but I have always chalked that up to not knowing how to use the optical sites properly. Definitely an area of improvement for me.

AFAIK, the M203 sites are just annoying decoration.

Comment

I love iron sights. I even have been practicing with the 203 iron sights, even though I agree with JAM that they kind of get in the way. I wish it would fold down for rifle firing.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Iron sights DO rule, and are a lot of fun to use, ACOG just don't seem right to me in ARMA because of how u have to aim up, then down, then up then u get to where u aimed in the first place, so its weird. I always stick with iron sights now days, even with the M4.
                PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

There's some kind of equation that snipers and marksmen use for the pips on a scope to judge range and elevation of a target so they know where to put their crosshairs. I can't recall it offhand, but I'll look it up and post it here. Someone posted a link in another thread that lead me to this info. It's quite usefull. Me personally, it was trial and error at first, but after a while it just seems to come more naturally. I can look at a target and judge by it's size in my scope where I need to put the crosshair most of the time.
                  | | |

Comment

Was it this one? http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...per-rifle.html

It's a toss up for me and completely depends on the situation. I like the iron sights at times, it adds a little bit more challenge to the game and it's fun to switch it up sometimes. It also seems to be easier to lead a target with the irons, possibly because it is easier to judge movement speed.

In urban environments I almost exclusively use then m4 aimpoint. It provides fast target acquisition in CQB and it is easy to move with the sight up which can't be said for the irons on the m16, they bounce too much. This is one place where the irons on the AK really shine though which is becoming a fast favorite of mine for mout stuff.

In general I try to stay away from an type of zoomed optic on assault rifles especially if I know that the mission will require any type of CQB. If the ACOG had the ability to utilize it's backup peephole sight on top it would be much more useful. As it stands they're a handicap in my opinion.

Ivan if you haven't tried NonWonderDogs Ballistics addon I strongly suggest it. It changes the values for every round and brings them more into line with what they should be. It also changes the disperson values of your bullets when your in automatic fire so they actually go where they are supposed to. It can be found here: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=70;t=66195

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddlestx View Post
                      That's the one! More specifically, it's this article that I was referring too. It breaks it down into a mathematical equation.

This link can also be found in the thread Fiddle linked, as well as some other useful info.
                      | | |

Comment

Iím surprised to see so many players prefer the iron sights. Thatís my choice too due to CQB situations and frame rate. When I look down the scope it takes a second or two to catch up, especially if there are trees or bushes in the way. (Also not a fan of the 203 sight)
                        |TG| Yanu - Bad handwriting since the 8th grade.

Comment

Hey all. I'm only new myself, but moving my way through the missions in single player I have found my accuracy is higher with iron sights. Although, I find it easier to lead a moving target with a scope - usually around the 200m mark. I have fired about 300 rounds the F88 Austyer in real life - it has a 3X optical zoom and is much more difficult to use with just the iron sight. At 100m (supported) my grouping went from around 30cm to non-existant. I think it may be just "one of those things" with computer games.

Comment

All this is found in the links above, but I'll recap the absolute basics.

The M107 is zeroed at 500(450 meter from the charts, but I use 500) meter. Meaning if you set the crosshairs right on the target it will hit if the target is 500 meter away from you. Otherwise you will overshoot. The M24 is zeroed at 300.
                            --
                            VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan_the_bad View Post
                              ...ACOG just don't seem right to me in ARMA because of how u have to aim up, then down, then up then u get to where u aimed in the first place, so its weird...
                              This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

x-hair on target, fire. Round goes high.
                              x-hair slightly below target, round goes low.
                              x-hair slightly above target (round can now hit, or go way high)
                              x-hair back on target, round hits - wtf??
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X