Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the story with ArmA2? Plz inform me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the story with ArmA2? Plz inform me!

I was looking over the thread with suggestions, and I started wondering. Why ArmA2, why so soon?

At first glance this looks like an EA style of move, where you want to cut down on free mods, and release incremental improvements and content ("expansion packs") to gather lots of money. While that is certainly good for the company, it isn't for a community. But this was a first glance.

I'm asking for some people to post what ArmA 2 is supposed to bring, what would justify it's existence so soon after Arma 1.

I myself am still keeping an eye on this game and I might get it in the future. The ArmA2 thing looks very discouraging though. I like a game to last, because the mods are ALWAYS vastly better then the original. I'm not up for the subscription-like games that much of the game industry is hoping for.

Re: What's the story with ArmA2? Plz inform me!

ArmA was supposed to be the money maker so that Bohemia could fund ArmA 2. I suppose they didn't have much money when they were publishing with Codemasters.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

also the community has helped greatly in terms of finding bugs and the like.
      CPL.rcpro8=US=

Comment

Interesting, yet I hope for more information still. Like is there an ArmA 3 in 2 years?

Comment

Armed Assault isn't really that much different from OFP. Aside from the graphical upgrade and a few improvements, they are almost identical in the way they play, from what I remember.

Arma II should improve the AI quite a bit. I saw a video where the AI are moving down a street using cover (lying down, leaning behind corners). I hope that we have more open buildings and better building destruction model, plus all the quirks ironed out that OFP/Arma has.

I wouldn't think that BIS would go away from user created mods, it's what kept OFP going for so long (plus that fact that no other FPS offered anything near what OFP did).

It's still too early to say what is going to be in the final product and I doubt very much that we'll see Arma 2 anytime soon. Arma over stretched it's release date by an ice age and anyway, I'm in no rush to get into Arma2 just yet, I've only just started with Arma :)

Don't forget that OFP2 is also due out from codemasters and this is going to be pretty exciting to see what they will produce.
          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
            Interesting, yet I hope for more information still. Like is there an ArmA 3 in 2 years?
            We could say that about any game. Speculating can only get us so far though, and I think that talking about Arma 3 isn't really going to get us anywhere.
            Jex.

Comment

from what i gather ArmA was just supposed to be an updated OFP and ArmA2 is basicly game 2 i think. where as ArmA is using a heavily modified ofp:elite engine ArmA2 is gonna use a new/updated version of their engine, so theoretically it should improve alot of the bugs and quirks that are in ArmA right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
                from what i gather ArmA was just supposed to be an updated OFP and ArmA2 is basicly game 2 i think. where as ArmA is using a heavily modified ofp:elite engine ArmA2 is gonna use a new/updated version of their engine, so theoretically it should improve alot of the bugs and quirks that are in ArmA right now.
                OFP -> OFP: Res -> OFP: Elite -> ArmA -> ArmA2.

It's an evolving engine. If you're expecting it to be massively different from the ArmA engine, you're almost certainly in for a disappointment. It will be enhanced and improved, and probably much more polished, but it will still at heart be the OFP/ArmA engine. Hopefully the improvements and polish will make it feel less clumsy, but only time will tell on that front.

Comment

If you check the pole at aramholics, you'll see that arma II is likely destine for failure. ARMA is a nitch game at the moment due to the inconsistent and buggy game play it provides. Over 60% of the nitch crowd do not intend to purchase arma II or at least hold a strong unfavorable opinion (DESPITE the fact that they do like playing arma when it works). The reasons vary from general dissatisfaction to feeling 'ripped off' over paying to play 'an evolving engine'. About 35% hold a favorable opinion of the game, not a good sign for a company wishing to profit off of sequels.

OFP2 will be the way most people go. I'm sure code masters is following the ARMA fall out closely and will be far more attentive when it comes to game play issues, performance, etc.

We'll see. All in all, I understand and appreciate the financial motives for a quick release, but I don't feel that the company has 'earned' it through ARMA. The game plays like someone over there at bohemia ate a copy of VBS and #$%@ out arma on the carpet.

I love what the game should be, and I'll continue playing it until OFP2 replaces it.
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I think that poll is more an opportunity for people to vent, and feel like their opinions are being heard. I'd wager that 90% of those voted will buy ArmA 2 when it comes out, as long as they still crave such gameplay, based just on the simple fact that they even visit Armaholic.

ArmA is still worth the money we paid. People are using the existence of a sequel so soon as a scapegoat for the complaints/concerns they have with ArmA. I am glad we got it at all, instead of having to go several more years between Opflash and ArmA2. I will buy ArmA2, and Opflash2.

Comment

Despite the niche, it only takes a few key groups in the niche to have the ArmA2 game to get the community to follow. If popular servers are gone from ArmA to Arma2 then so will the general population. I know many people who said the same thing about EA games, but broke down when their friends and servers used the new material.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Well, thanks all, that gives me some different angles on the topic, aiding me in making any decisions.

Comment

I remember when we used to play OFP and thought it would be nice for an updated game with better graphics, join in progress and a few other issues worked out. Well we got some of that wish come true and all in all, i'm happy with AA. There are no other games like it yet, and to dismiss Arma II before its release isn't fair. Both Arma II and OFP II i hope are both great games.

As it stands, arma 2 is the only game survivng that allows such variable mission parameters allowing us mission builders to come up with pretty much any scenarios we want - I can't think of another game that allows that.

Another thing is that prior to Arma launch, few people if any were playing OFP. Arma has brought something to us all and given us the opportunity to play something very different to whats out there. Yes it has its flaws, but I enjoy it for what it is and until that enjoyment ceases, I keep playing.

I also think that Arma was a stop gap, something to give to the community and give bis some funds to carry on. If they abuse that in Arma 2 then they'll suffer the consequences, but at present its too early to say either way.
                          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                            I like how you seem to think that you know what ArmA2 is with any degree of certainty, or what OFP2 is.

It is far too early to say which one will win out. OFP2 isn't even at a state where they can take in-game screens, for that matter, and yet you think it's just going to be the cat's ass, eh?

As to the poll on a niche community site, the reality of the situation is that niche community sites reflect a very small portion of the overall buyer market. I wouldn't take the Armaholic poll to mean anything at all. I hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it.

If ArmA II addresses the main issues of ArmA, I have no doubt that it will be a good game. OFP2, on the other hand, is from a new developer with no past experience and may or may not live up to the hype being shoveled out the door by their publisher. Will it potentially be good? Certainly, that could happen. Is it a sure thing? By no means, certainly not at this stage. As the saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Comment

I know you're the ARMA cheer leader, but there was no emotional rhetoric in what I said, so save yours. I implied in no way whatsoever that I knew what ARMAII or OFP2 was about. I did say that after ARMA's poor showing Bohemia didn't earn my purchase for ARMAII. It appears many players agree with me. Because of this, I believe ARMA II will not open well, regardless of its merits.

I didn't imply that OFP2 will be the 'cats ass' either, but I do believe that the development team will be tracking ARMA very closely since its free research for them. They are no doubt aware of the many game play and performance issues that have caused many players to be dissatisfied with ARMA and would be insane to release a competing game without making sure to resolve those issues in their own product. Regardless, given the choice of OFP2 or ARMAII with no standard to compare (ie same release date) i'd go with OFP2 since I know ARMAI played mediocre at best.

Now, the meaningless poll has 470 voters which gives it some credibility in my eyes.
                              The poll options are as follows.
                              Arma 2, whats your opinion?
                              This rocks, I love arma and will be looking forward to this. : 21%
                              Great news but lets wait and see what it brings us. : 16%
                              Arma 2 will need full support by all teams involved, arma will suffer from this. : 7%
                              Just another bug which will costs us money.....well not for me. : 3%
                              Let them finish arma first so we get our money's worth, than proceed to the next step. : 34%
                              Arma, Arma 2, who cares. I am going to OFP 2. : 17%
                              21% of respondents are very happy and show clear intent of continuing with arma.
                              21% (17+3) show clear dissatisfaction and have already chosen to give up on the sequel. Thats not a good sign for the success of ARMAII.
                              34% are waiting for them to give us a finished product with ARMA I. How well they patch this game will have a alot to say about where these people go for OFP2/ARMAII
                              23% (7+16)are tentative about the release, glad to have the offering of something new and improved, but skeptical about the turnout.

In general about 60% are dissatisfied. When more people are dissatisfied than pleased with a game, that does not bode well for its future consumer loyalty. The claim everyone seems to make about bohemia is that they just need the money to keep developing (or so thats the queens gambit excuse I hear). If their current consumer base is just enough to scrape by, losing 20% of them is going to really sting, and potentially losing 60% is going to kill.

So, I say again, ARMA II is likely to fail. I don't say this because I'm certain that it will be a bad game. It could be great, i don't know. I say this because ARMAI has been pretty poor in the stability/performance department and when given a choice between code masters or bohemia, I'm reluctant to give bohemia another chance.

Keep waiving your pompoms if you like, but dont act so offended every time someone says something reasonable but unflattering about ARMA. I play the game, and I like it, but I'm not going to ignore its many, many shortcomings.
                              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                              That noob who crashed the chopper.
                              That noob who ran over the mine.
                              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X