Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request, need Opinions

so the request would be.

Domination and Evolution on the same server.

Domination is hogging up the COOP server and Domination+Evolution have the same thing in mind. casual JIP. every evening im on the coop server is loaded in domination and its bothersome.

Coop=Hardcore ArmA - the uber fun stuff
    Evolution server=Easy JIP stuff. like Domination

just a thought.

Re: Request, need Opinions

For the last couple of weeks that I've been a member of this community, I'm online quite a bit. Whenever I load up TS, I almost never see anyone in the COOP channels and are mostly populating the Evo channel. Once I load up ArmA's server list, again I see no one in the COOP server and most playing Evo.

It wasn't until just a few days ago that Domination went back up on the COOP server that I saw people playing on that server.

My point is, this "hardcore" Arma stuff you're referring, is this the kind of stuff that would actually require squad planning with a handful of players like the usual events we have on Sundays? Because during the week, if Domination isn't on the COOP server, it's a dead server. Might as well use it for anything besides Evo.
    SADD - Soldiers Against Dumb Drivers - Campaign
    Friends don't let friends drive enemy vehicles.

Comment

Coop doesn't require a lot of planning. the steps are

Pick a mission
      Pick your slots
      Read the briefing
      Execute.

takes 5 minutes at the most to organize and get in the mission.
      missions differ by quite a bit. thats the reason i like them so much instead of

Capture this capture that. oh noes theres a counter attack
      its

Liberate the city. you have this this and this and 1 life. go be a team you liberate the city take casualtys leaders die and someone steps up to take their place because they're DEAD. (being dead isnt bad assuming you have Kegetys spectating script in the mission)
      once the city's clear theere might be a new objective or the outcome may be good.
      you could all die on the other hand and the mission fails.

no way to really lose on Evo or Domination. i feel no accomplishment when i die and respawn to go back and die. i DO feel accomplishment when i live throughout an entire city and come out victorious with my squadmates. if that makes any sense at all.

Domination isnt a good example of a coop to me because its based around the same concepts as Evolution. die respawn attack city/defend city repeat

Coops are easy and quick to setup and the feeling of living throughout an entire round with 1 life is very rewarding. Teamwork becomes a MUST. if you want to stay alive

Comment

I Agree. There's been multiple times when I have loaded up Kegety's and theres been no one in Domination yet like 3 or four in evo. When no ones in, why not change it. I find Domination is more appealing then Evo. I'm bored of Evo and Domination gives a little more variety, like counter attacks and random cities.

I find COOP needs that extra time to plan, which I don't have a problem with. But on the other hand, If i wanna hop in for a quick 30min session, I wanna do Domination. Like i said before, Evo=Boring for me. Domination is alot more fun for me.

But don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound as though I hate planning missions. I have no problem with that, in fact if I have the time, I'd prefer to do that. It's just I choose to hope on Dom instead of Evo when i was some quick action for 30 min due to RL commitments.

Like Satmax said, if it's empty change it, no one will stop you. When we all want Dom back and the server is empty, we will hop onto it, change it and play it.

Agnew
        Last edited by J.Agnew7; 10-14-2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

...Huh?

How is Domination hogging the second server? It's always up on the second server because nobody elects to play anything different. Get onto the COOP server with your buddies, vote yourself an admin for the server, and change the Domination mission to something else. There's a gigantic list of available COOP missions on the second server.

Comment

Strange, now that Domination has been on the COOP server, it seems to draw a lot of people to server who wish to change it to other missions, and now there's 10+ on the server and none on Evo tonight. Wierd.

So it would seem to make more sense to have the Evo server be a Domination/Evo server and leave the COOP open to anything else.
            SADD - Soldiers Against Dumb Drivers - Campaign
            Friends don't let friends drive enemy vehicles.

Comment

Evolution still recieves far more usage than any other missions, including Domination. Evo's the baseline mission that everyone's familiar with, including potential new players. It provides a springboard into missions that require more coordination and/or are a bit more complex (a new player dropping into Domination is usually confused as to what to do, given the teleportation system, etc, etc).

I'm still not sure how Domination conflicts with the other missions installed onto the COOP server. Evolution is also being upgraded to Evolution Red/Blue, once the admin team completes our modifications to the mission to suit Tactical Gamer purposes.

Comment

it conflicts because if there's 5 people looking for quick fun. and they opt for domination and there are 4 people opting for other coops that have nothing to do with Domination/Evo.
                the 4 people are kinda SOL and have to play the JIP/Many Respawn mission. so i think Evo and domination should be grouped together. because they are very similar in their play style.

Comment

When the coop server is active people join and want to attempt missions they never have the man power for. The problem with getting coops going is people want to have that larger team that tends only to build up after JIP type game has been in progress.
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                    it conflicts because if there's 5 people looking for quick fun. and they opt for domination and there are 4 people opting for other coops that have nothing to do with Domination/Evo.
                    the 4 people are kinda SOL and have to play the JIP/Many Respawn mission. so i think Evo and domination should be grouped together. because they are very similar in their play style.
                    Conversely, those that want to play Domination are SOL if the COOP server is currently being used for COOP missions. Given Evo and Domination are different experiences, then those wanting to play Domination have nowhere to go.

However, they usually join up to the COOP mission. It's a give-and-take situation. The COOP server is completely empty most days of the week, experiencing actual player usage on the standard "Sunday ArmA COOP day". There undoubtedly are conflicts of interest such as what you're describing, Sticky, but not on a regular basis.

Evolution is the baseline standard and provides the easiest gateway for new players to experience Armed Assault. Evolution needs to have it's own little home. It gets the most use; that's why it has it's own server.

Comment

Perhaps Evolution gets the most use because it's the mission being run on a persistent server. I think the point a couple of posters here and in this thread is that Evolution gets played because it's the only JIP option. Domination and Evo provide a similar type of quick mission play.

The problem is there's only one server running in persistence and two groups of players that either want Domination or Evo running all the time.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If there are people on both servers that is a good thing. I think the original issue Sticky was trying to point out is that Domination gets loaded on the COOP server when no one is on the Evo server and that leaves those that want a non JIP COOP mission out in the cold. I understand his plight in this situation which does occur. However, this is only because Evo and Domination despite what people say are essentially the same thing. Say what you want, respawning and attacking Cayo is the same thing regardless of whether a little message scrolled by telling you to do it or not.

There's not really a good solution. It really seems like we have 2 servers, but more than 2 missions want to get played. Since domination is not static on the server those that like domination feel left out. Since Domination gets played on the server that can switch missions, those that like mission exploration get left out. If no one is on the COOP server, neither situation should be an issue which is most of the time. If we made all missions available on both servers, the issue would still exist as they both would probably end up with Evo and Domination and then both groups would get upset when theirs gets changed.The issue comes up in prime play time when we have both servers in use with both JIP style missions. I don't no what to say as this was like the period when Serial Killer was being played almost exclusively on the COOP server. The COOP is first come first serve, so don't feel obligated to leave Domination playing on it. As those that found out with Evo, rarely does the server stay up long enough to make worrying about points an issue, hence the unranked edit for our version.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Has a decision been made about Dom v Evo? Both of these game types take at least a day to complete and hogging up the coop server is not good. I like playing out defined missions which is what we used to do here with the original GR. You join the server, then a few people turn up so you find a suitable mission, brief, execute. No respawns which then promoted even better teamwork. That's what i'd like to see on the arma coop server - missions of varying sizes so we can accomadte small/med/large groups with no respawn and the proper use of comms, SOP's and fire discipline.

In fact, if anyone is up for some, why don't we get together this weekend? I'll start a new thread.
                          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                            In fact, if anyone is up for some, why don't we get together this weekend? I'll start a new thread.
                            I know timezones become an issue, but do you think you'd be interested for some weekday COOP?
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                              I know timezones become an issue, but do you think you'd be interested for some weekday COOP?
                              Jex is always up for some weekday coop :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X