This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note about sunday coop events...

If you want to participate you MUST sign up. Those who do not will be turned away from the event.

Those who do, starting this sunday, these events will go unimpeded regardless of how many sign up. This means if the signups are low, we will spend the afternoon on small squad coop missions rather than cancelling the event entirely.

So encourage your fellow players to sign up now rather than wait at the last minute only to be turned away.
    | | |

Re: A note about sunday coop events...

I usually want to sign up but I am confused on how long these events last. Do they last from starting time until late into the night or do they only last for an hour?

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Usually a few hours. It depends on the missions played. Most of the time several missions are played so if you need to step out in between that is acceptable. Don't be afraid to sign up and include that you will only be available for a few hours, etc.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

They can last for the majority of the afternoon. We don't have any set timeframes. Sometimes we'll play a couple missions depending on the desire of those who show up. I've never been to one that didn't last 2+ hours.

If you DO sign up and for some reason cannot make it on time, PM an admin and let them know ahead of time. The same goes if you sign up and don't feel you can make it through the entire mission(s) but want to participate as much as possible anyhow.
        | | |

Comment

Thanks. I just didn't want to sign up and not be able to make it or not be able to stay the entire event.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Dog--good work man--I'm an NFL Fan(atic) so I'm planted in front of the telly at 2:00 p.m. on Sundays...you can expect me more in the future.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

why do you even have to signup?. why cant the password just be changed and you read a document explaining the Coop. many peoples lives change on a day-to-day basis.

Comment

Sign ups serve multiple purposes outside of simply garaunteeing your spot. It also helps with the organization/logistics end of running these events on a regular basis. Not to mention it encourages players to visit our forums and, hopefully, participate.

In short, the system has a purpose and that's the way it's going to be.
                | | |

Comment

With the varying numbers we experience, missions can be selected based on the potential for that week. By at least taking the time to post you will try to make it, it makes the effort find an appropriate mission for that player base worth while. Otherwise it turns into just another pub COOP.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                    Sign ups serve multiple purposes outside of simply garaunteeing your spot. It also helps with the organization/logistics end of running these events on a regular basis. Not to mention it encourages players to visit our forums and, hopefully, participate.

In short, the system has a purpose and that's the way it's going to be.
                    That's unfortunate. If TG was having weekly turnouts in the 70-80 range where server hardware or mission design was a limiting factor, it would be one thing to put restrictions and signups in place. With that not being the case, though, it seems unusual to add another layer of difficultly to what should be a fairly straightforward process designed to get the most TG'ers (and affiliated) into the server as possible.

I have a busy life these days. I can't say what I'll be doing any given Sunday, and if my options are to commit in advance to a TG mission that I might not be at, and be forced to give a no-show report in advance if I can't make it (or face what, banishment from the next session?), or to not commit at all and simply not play, I find myself inclined to do the later.

Because of that, I'm afraid I won't be participating in any future TG ArmA Sunday Coop sessions. At this point in time I don't see how any TG admins could think that taking the potential playerbase and adding in restrictions that will server only to cut the turnout down even further could be a good idea. But, hey... not my call.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                      Because of that, I'm afraid I won't be participating in any future TG ArmA Sunday Coop sessions. At this point in time I don't see how any TG admins could think that taking the potential playerbase and adding in restrictions that will server only to cut the turnout down even further could be a good idea. But, hey... not my call.
                      I think you missed the point. In general on the Sunday events I have been able to make, we try to undertake missions that take a little more setup than usual. When the #'s that show vary so greatly, it was decided that it was a waste to prepare for 25 players if only 10 or less would show. There is not strict commitment, but a simple "I'll try to make it." is all that is asked to assure a mission or missions are chosen with the potential #'s in mind. It's better than starting a mission with 8 slots and 20 minutes in have 5 or 6 other guys show up. Spending 5 minutes on the forum a week is not exactly a back breaking requirement. I'm sorry you view it as that. Compared to threads of inter-community events, the weekly event thread gets many fewer sign ups despite the same individuals showing up and expecting to participate.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

...I'm afraid I won't be participating in any future TG ArmA Sunday Coop sessions...
                        A few "because I think this way, everyone else does" assumptions in your post. A simple "can't make it" would've sufficed, rather than the negativity. ;)

Comment

Spending 5 minutes on the forum a week is not exactly a back breaking requirement. I'm sorry you view it as that.
                          Spending time in the forum is not the issue. The issue is having to make that commitment and then, if you don't have time to make it, having to spend extra time (which by this point we've established that you don't have) to post to that effect within a give timeframe or have needless punitive things happen.

A few "because I think this way, everyone else does" assumptions in your post. A simple "can't make it" would've sufficed, rather than the negativity.
                          If that's how you intend to view it, by all means, don't let me stop you. I don't see where I claimed that everyone else thinks the way I do, but hey... different eyes. As to your suggestion, "Can't make it" is a bit different from what I posted. If "Can't make it" was a proper summary, it would have been used. It wasn't.

OP says this:
                          If you want to participate you MUST sign up. Those who do not will be turned away from the event.
                          ...and that is what my reply is oriented towards. Out of the times I've played on the TG server during a Sunday session, every single one to my knowledge has been a last-second, "Oh, I have some free time" decision. If signing up is 100% mandatory, I will no longer be playing. If you take that for needless negativity, again - that's your prerogative.

Comment

Thats why I don't play ArmA with TG... in my line of duty, and always on call, i can't sign up and promise to be at a game... so therefore i miss it.
                            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Spending time in the forum is not the issue. The issue is having to make that commitment and then, if you don't have time to make it, having to spend extra time (which by this point we've established that you don't have) to post to that effect within a give timeframe or have needless punitive things happen.

Again, I don't see where we said you need to come back to the forums and say you are definitely not going to make it. The idea is to have people who really want to be there on Sunday, stop by and say they are going to try to make it to achieve some gauge of the expected numbers. While it would be nice to have notice if they are not, then that is fine if they can't. Also, showing up early and asking the admin on duty if there is room is entirely different than those that show up late and want in and gave no notice. You guys are making this way more complicated than it was. To restate the purpose, if 5 people sign up then the admin selects a small mission. If an extra person shows up early enough because they just became free then maybe some adjustments can be made. No where did we say let us know definitely if you are not coming.

Dyslecxi and Magnum, it almost looks like you guys are reading some form of punishment for not keeping your commitment. That is not the case at hand. Just post with a "I'd like to participate if I can make it." That's all we're asking.

Like I pointed out before, why is this a problem with TG sponsored events and not a problem with non TG events. No one has a problem with signing up then and understands if there is not room. The purpose of having a scheduled event on Sunday is to add a little more organization to a mission. The hope being to do some pre-planning, etc. It makes that a lot easier to accomplish if there are some heads-up as to who is coming. We have plenty of other nights to schedule a "Let's show up now and play with whoever is here." We did that in the past and people trickled in or didn't show on a consistent basis. Like the other thread about Friday, that's a come as you are time and go with whoever is there.
                              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...