This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution - Blue (TG Edited) Open Beta Session 22nd of October

!!!Please read all of this post before asking any questions !!!

This is a TG session open to Supporting and Non-Supporting members that will take place on the Armed Assault EVO server.

What not to post:
    • "What time will it be in my time zone?" Work it out.
    • "It's not fair! I keep getting pushed out by Supporting Members!" Become one.
    • "Can you change the date?" No, the date is confirmed.

Date: Monday, 22nd of October 2007 - 20:00 HOURS EDT (00:00 UTC/GMT)

Use timeanddate.com to work out your offset.

Server: TacticalGamer.com Armed Assault Evolution Server
    Password: See the Evolution Server Guide.

Game information:

We will be testing the latest version of the popular KilJoy's popular Evolution mission edited for use at TG: Evolution - Blue (TG). This will be an open beta test but the server may be locked for better control if required. The release of Evo Blue has brought some great improvements to the mission (see this thread for an overview). However, in order to enhance teamwork and realism several changes have been made by the Admin staff. Here is a summary of the changes in the TG Beta version:
    • All points requirements for ranks have been removed. You will have full access to all locked vehicles and weapons as soon as you spawn (regardless of your stated rank).
    • HALO Jumps have been disabled.
    • Respawn time has been increased to 75 seconds.
    • There are far fewer vehicles available at the base. The following have been removed: 1x AV8B (GBU), 1x AV8B, 1x UH60 FFAR, 1x MH6, 1x AH1W, 1x AH6
    • The support request system has been significantly modified. Only precision air strikes and small artillery strikes are available. Only the Team Leader (not squad leaders) can make support requests so there is only one person on your team who can make requests. In return, there are no point requirements for support requests but you must wait five minutes between air strike requests and five minutes between artillery requests. Precision air strikes are less powerful and are representative of a single Hellfire missile attack from a Predator UAV instead of as single GBU-12. Small artillery strikes now only fire six shells and are representative of a max rate of fire of a two-howitzer battery for 30 seconds. Red smoke is no longer visible at target locations. Ammo Crates, large artillery strikes, cluster bombs, chemical strikes, and ICBM's have been disabled. Damage assessment messages have been replaced with "fire mission complete" messages.

Please note: That vehicle tow has not been added to this test version. It may follow in later versions with other possible features as well.

Feedback Requested:

If this edited version proves worthy it will replace the current version of Evo 3.0 (Unranked with Vehicle Tow) that is currently running on the TG Evo Server. As such, your feedback is necessary in order to identify any bugs and comment on game play with the mission in general and the edited features.
    Last edited by loyalguard; 10-21-2007, 10:29 AM.
    LoyalGuard

Re: Evolution - Blue (TG Edited) Open Beta Session 22nd of October

OK I should be able to make this and like the changes. Looks like you've removed a lot of nonsense :)
    Jex.

Comment

Great work Loyal!! I'll be ready to test.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Will this version be on the server prior to 2000EDT? I'd like to try, but I'm afraid that may be a bit late for me.

Comment

Should be able to be present.
          BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Any chance for us gents the other side of the pond that this could be made active earlier, as it would be great to be able to try this before midnight and beyond.

Keep the test time the same but allow us none usa based folks an early run about.

TU
            "I like a man who grins when he fights"
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

If you don't mind latecomers, I can probably show, but I won't be there until 21:00 EST at the earliest.

Comment

I'll be there, but I have a quick question.

A lot of the features that were removed seem like good features. Is this for a specific reason?

Comment

I hope I can answer your question sufficiently, bobik. The admin team playtested the mission and messed around with the new features. We took into consideration what made Evolution popular and (hopefully) adjusted the mission features accordingly.

1. HALO jumps. These were removed because we didn't want one of the most unique features of Evolution - the reliability upon transport helicopters - to disappear. If HALO drops stayed in, then we figured that all the players would ignore the helicopters and simply choose to jump into the city via the HALO insertion system. This would also possibly destroy unit cohesion; a player dies, then jumps back in alone. Another player dies... they jump in alone. Eventually you could get just a string of dudes all making solo jumps on their own and nobody acting as a team.

2. Support options. Ammo crates were debated upon, and were ultimately removed for almost the same reason as the HALO system: we wanted to keep that unique reliability upon helicopters in Evo. Removing ammo crate resupplies also keeps a certain tactical strategy in the gameplay, as you have to plan your loadouts accordingly because you CAN'T get that magical videogame resupply for your weapons. If someone wants more ammunition, they can still request the transport pilot (or whoever) to load up a Blackhawk with ammo and fly it to the front.

As for the removal of the chemical attack, cluster bomb, heavy artillery strike, and nuke? They were simply game-breaking. The nuke takes out the entire city, the chemical attack kills all life within a 200 (or 300?) meter radius, the heavy artillery barrage represented about 50x 155mm arty guns all firing in a huge salvo (which is patently unrealistic), and the cluster bomb was a big airstrike of - I think - about 12 x GBU's, which was also a bit game-breaking. They were... hmm. "I win" buttons could describe the options.

We also removed the point system and instituted the "leader can only make requests" to further decrease the power, because without the point system the leader could nuke every city in the game, and with the point system, it adds a game-y element which we didn't want.

Hope that answers your question.

Comment

EDIT: LOL, gillespie beat me to it!

Originally posted by bobik View Post
                    ... lot of the features that were removed seem like good features. Is this for a specific reason?
                    Yes, everything that has been removed was specificllay done so. Here is a quick breakdown of why:

-HALO Jumps - One of the great aspects of Evo is the need for dedicated transport to be effective. HALO eliminates that need and this is viewed as a detractor from teamwork. There could be some contingencies where we could consider re-enabling it but we need to see how it goes for awhile.

-Vehicle Removals - There were too many air assets available at the base making it easy for someone to lose an asset and just grab another one without recovering the first.

-Red Smoke for Support Requests - This smoke grenade just appears automaticaly at where the marker is placed, it is not put there by a player or other asset. It was viewed as unrealistic.

-Ammo Crates, large artillery strikes, cluster bombs: We have ammo trucks, FARPs, and aircraft to re-supply hence no need for ammo crates from the sky. Same for cluster bombs...they way they work is that you place a marker and six GBU-12s fall on the mark. Unlike other airstrike scripts where an actual plane is created, flies to the target (if it isn't shot down), and drops a playload; no actual plane is used in Evo Blue....again the bonbs just drop from the sky. The large arty strike was just way too powerfull. It consists of a 40 122mm shell salvo...it is utterly destructive (plus the 122mm shell is a SLA round, the U.S. only has 105mm in Evo).

-Chemical strikes and ICBM's - Aside from the completely unrealistic aspects of the use of these types of strikes, again they are overly destructive and detract from teamwork. Each kill everyone (and in the case of ICBM's destroy everything) in a ~200m radius. I have a video that I will share after the beta that shows how carily destructive all these features were before they were modified or removed.

I hope that answers your questions!
                    LoyalGuard

Comment

i was thinking maybe for the precision airstrike, can we script a Harrier to fly in and a player on the ground has to designate a target with a laser designator for it to drop a bomb? im not sure how hard it would be to script that but it would be more realistic than just having a bomb or missle pop out of thin air and it would also require some sort of action of the player to complete. also i think this would keep the focus in evo on ground assets and infantry. it might be easier just to have a harrier fly around kind of like the SU does that will actually target what we lase with the designator. its just a thought though.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
                        i was thinking maybe for the precision airstrike, can we script a Harrier to fly in and a player on the ground has to designate a target with a laser designator for it to drop a bomb? im not sure how hard it would be to script that but it would be more realistic than just having a bomb or missle pop out of thin air and it would also require some sort of action of the player to complete. also i think this would keep the focus in evo on ground assets and infantry. it might be easier just to have a harrier fly around kind of like the SU does that will actually target what we lase with the designator. its just a thought though.
                        We figured it would be far more realistic to have a HellFire from a drone seemingly pop out of the sky versus a harrier dropped bomb. Also, it keeps it to a single Armor Target as opposed to groups of things or buildings.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I may be able to join in to test this but won't be able to join until at least an hour into the session.

I like the TG changes to move Evo towards more realism, personally that's what makes Arma (and TG Arma) attractive and different.

The only thing I see that may possibly need a tweak is the aristrikes. I fully support a delay as well limiting it to a designated individual. However the Hellfire from a Predator as the precision air strike seems a bit odd/weak. Is the type of ammunition used for airstrikes something that can be changed by TG? I think something akin to a 500lb bomb etc. would be more realistic? I don't want to revert to a huge blast radius, city crushing strike but a limited but devastating strike with some splash damage. Just a thought and perhaps the beta testing tonight will illustrate how effective the hellfire is or not?

Comment

@Insanatrix-

Khan summed up the changes we made pretty well. We originally had removed the airstrike all together fearing it would again reduce the need for teamwork. We only put it back in once I was able to limit airstrike requests to only the team(Platoon) leader. Then we decided to tone it down to a hellfire from a "drone" as Khan said b/c it is a little more realistic and in order to give smaller teams that don't yet have CAS up and running yet a or a SF Team on a remote mission a little more firepower (but the GBU-12 was far too much).

My intention/goal when editing the mission was that if an ordnance requires a manned aircraft to deliver it, we want a human player (working with the rest of the team) to be the one to do it (at least in Evo).

BTW, there is a script out there that does exactly what you propose...it is used (or one like it) in Black Sword if I remember correctly. I thnk it makes a nice addition to missions that do not have players as pilots yet you want to include some CAS:

Onmapclick AirStrike Script at OFPEC
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                              ...The only thing I see that may possibly need a tweak is the aristrikes. I fully support a delay as well limiting it to a designated individual. However the Hellfire from a Predator as the precision air strike seems a bit odd/weak. Is the type of ammunition used for airstrikes something that can be changed by TG? I think something akin to a 500lb bomb etc. would be more realistic? I don't want to revert to a huge blast radius, city crushing strike but a limited but devastating strike with some splash damage. Just a thought and perhaps the beta testing tonight will illustrate how effective the hellfire is or not?
                              Longbow-

See my comments above on drone vs. manned aircraft as well...but I can insert any type of ordnance into the airstrike, but, we are limited to the types of ordnance BIS has provided us in-game. For the U.S., there is no other ordnance (in terms of damage) between the GBU-12 (5000 damage) and the Hellfire (800 damage). It was the GBU-12 (a 500lb bomb) that was in the original version. IIRC, the predator can carry a GBU-12 but 1) I am not able to tie to the Evo airstrike support script to a player with a laser designator and 2) I think it is way too powerfull for our intended purpose. You will still get a decent amount of splash with the hellfire and there is always the arty option vs. infantry and vehicles if you are looking for more.

Of course we want to receive feedback on the hellfire air strike so let us know what you think once you see it in action! Thanks for your comments so far!
                              LoyalGuard

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X