Horrid Weapon View. Need opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrid Weapon View. Need opinions

One thing thats been bugging me for a while is the way you see your weapon.
    e.g

As you can see on both of these images, the view of your weapon is restricted. From the same shoulder position as in ARMA, When I'm holding an M4 in real life i can see my sights, my magazine, the butt of my gun and even the reload handle. In ARMA you can only really see your barrel unless you point your weapon to the ground. In game this restricted weapon view spoils the whole immersion for me cause it dose not feel like I'm holding a weapon as i cant really see the weapon it self, this almost gives a Rogue Spear Rainbow Six feeling where you could'nt see your weapon at all.

Now the correct way you should see you weapon at all times,while you are in a walk position, crouch position or just standing still are below.

In these images you see a clear difference. You can see the weapons much more defined. You see all its parts, and you can actually have a feel for what weapon you are holding. For me its important cause i wanna feel, all mighty and powerful and being able to see a clear difference between the weapons Ive chosen to go and fight with. I think that if this view was sorted out. It would look cooler, feel more realistic, because you'd "SEE" your weapon. And last and most important you'd go into the battlefield knowing exactly what weapon you chose. BECAUSE YOU'D SEE IT

Now i would just want some opinions whether people have the same thoughts and dislike the current weapon view. I'm pretty sure this would'nt be too hard too mod if enough people took interest.
    Last edited by Ivan_the_bad; 10-23-2007, 03:23 AM. Reason: wrong link
    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Re: Horrid Weapon View. Need opinions

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel yes I do notice the STUPID weapon view but then other than an irritation for a NTH issue I just put up with it.

I agree it does feel odd, makes me feel as if I am in front of my body and not an integral part of it.

So if we are to mount a campaign and this is something that would be simple to fix, then sign me up and go for it.
    Git R Dun
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The impression I get from the regular weapon view is you're holding the weapon like Rambo. The butt of the stock isn't against your shoulder but more by your side. This is the reason everything is closer and feels like you're in front of your weapon.

It's supposed to mimic this pose:

http://www.armedassault.com/pic_scre...ot_2006_36.jpg

The foreground soldier isn't at the ready position so the weapon falls low and his arms are lower. Thus, he can't see much of his weapon. The middle soldier is holding his weapon up so he's more likely to see his weapon's stock.

If the change were made, I think the character pose would have to change as well so that the soldier is holding his weapon up with the stock against his shoulder.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yes I see what you mean Sarc good pic to illustrate the point by the way.

I think the problem then is one of visulisation in that it would be easy for the 1st trooper to glance down and see all of his weapon but in arma the view is limited.
        "I like a man who grins when he fights"
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Yeh i agree when you are running it does go "Rambo" style. However what I'm trying to get fixed is when your walking or standing and the stock is on your shoulder. you should not be seeing your weapon like your doing "Rambo" style but more like the 2nd pair of Pic's i put up.
          Where you can see pretty much the whole of your weapon.

I don't think it would require a new animation, or new model. Just a simple fix, such as a view lock position from how it looks when your aiming down. To stay the same as when you face straight.

I think you misinterpreted what i was trying to say. When your running your weapon will obviously swing and you wont see it, which is not what i was trying to get changed. But when you are standing still and your weapon is shouldered and ready to fire. You should be able to see your weapon almost completely since its not moving and against your shoulder.

Comment

I use True Mods and it seems to help a little with positioning. I agree with Sarc that when not aiming it represents holding the weapon at the hip so you shouldn't see all that. When aiming you have the weapon shouldered and 1 eye closed. Sure I guess your peripheral vision might catch some of that but I don't know when I've been looking down a sight rail that I've noticed anything about the magazine.
            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

The human eye has a higher FOV than what is used in game. if you were to up your FOV in game it would look more realistic but you would run into some problems such as targeting at a distance would become tougher. A smaller FOV gives the feeling of being zoomed in because your forward view is much more focused in front of you.

here is your stock FOV

here is an FOV more closely resembling how the human eye would see

Last edited by Insanatrix; 10-23-2007, 09:06 AM.

Comment

The animation should be changed so you are holding the weapon at the hip (as it is, when not aiming it is still actually in your shoulder). I took some shots and it looks like it's the position of the head...

Here I am with the weapon aimed and I'm looking down using Track IR and Trueview (it allows me to look around even with my weapon aimed). I have to look down though to get this image.

Now here I look over my left shoulder and see.. my NECK!!. My head is disembodied and floating somewhere near my sight. Perhaps if the head was moved back, we'd see more of the weapon...

Jex.

Comment

I think there is slight confusion and miss understanding.

What i was trying to change is not the FOV or when the weapon is focused in iron sights via true view or what not.
                  In ARMA when you look down you see more of your weapon. When you look straight you see half of your weapon? . when you look up once again you see even less of your weapon. This is because ARMA tried to do a realistic view that i dont think quite works.

Now what i would like to do, instead of having the weapon change its position when you look up or down simply have a button or something to lock your view in one position, now im not talking about the floating zone either. A simpler way to put it is so that you see your weapon like you would see it in BF2 where u constantly have your weapon up and you see the whole of it not just half, once again look at the pics i posted. Its nothing to do with FOV or Iron sights.
                  Its as simple as having some kind of fix where you can just lock your arms in one spot while still being able to aim, if that makes sense.

Another pic bellow of what it should look like. You can see your weapon very detailed in very good size. and it looks damn cool, but you only get it like this when your pointing down and your arms stretch away thus making you see more of your weapon. now if there was a way to lock this position so that you can aim straight or down or up and it would stay in this position.

I hope that makes it slightly clearer of what i was trying to get across

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan_the_bad View Post
                    I think there is slight confusion and miss understanding.

What i was trying to change is not the FOV or when the weapon is focused in iron sights via true view or what not.
                    In ARMA when you look down you see more of your weapon. When you look straight you see half of your weapon? . when you look up once again you see even less of your weapon. This is because ARMA tried to do a realistic view that i dont think quite works.

Now what i would like to do, instead of having the weapon change its position when you look up or down simply have a button or something to lock your view in one position, now im not talking about the floating zone either. A simpler way to put it is so that you see your weapon like you would see it in BF2 where u constantly have your weapon up and you see the whole of it not just half, once again look at the pics i posted. Its nothing to do with FOV or Iron sights.
                    Its as simple as having some kind of fix where you can just lock your arms in one spot while still being able to aim, if that makes sense.

Another pic bellow of what it should look like. You can see your weapon very detailed in very good size. and it looks damn cool, but you only get it like this when your pointing down and your arms stretch away thus making you see more of your weapon. now if there was a way to lock this position so that you can aim straight or down or up and it would stay in this position.

I hope that makes it slightly clearer of what i was trying to get across

it is an FOV issue lol. the reason you see more of the gun when you look down is because he is hunched over and the gun is off his shoulder. you were saying that when you hold a gun up to your shoulder in real life you can see all of the gun. The reason you cant do that in arma is because of the FOV. There is no way to simulate the way an eye can see and project that onto a flat screen because your eye is round as is your retina. Unless you want the guy to hold his gun half a foot out in front of him, your always gonna see only half of your gun, unless you change your FOV. There's no simpler way i can think of to explain it. your gun is simply out of your FIELD OF VIEW which is why you only see so much of it. when you look down, since your gun is below your head and your "virtual" eye's, you will see more of it because more of the gun is in your FOV.

Comment

Here is an example i tried to draw up to explain what i mean about the FOV. Please excuse my extremely horrible drawing capabilities as i havent drawn since kindergarden and i still use stick figures :)

Comment

LOL at the drawing insan. I guess your right and it is a field of view issue how ever im still puzzled that if you can look down and see so much of your weapon couldnt you just lock that view and bring it up?

Comment

Insanatrix is spot on.

The issue with "seeing your neck" when in ironsight view is due to the ironsight view being positioned behind the optic of your weapon x-many units. Your head does not actually move to get a stock weld, so due to the true-first-person modeling you can see your shoulders/neck when looking back. This is simply a side effect of how they did things.

ArmA uses "true first person". Your eyes when in normal, unsighted mode are where the model's eyes are. The weapon is held the same way in first-person as it is in third-person - that's how the animation system works, there is no special model/animation for first-person mode. The reason you only see part of your weapon is because of what Insanatrix stated - you have a MUCH lower FOV on your monitor than you do in real life.

There is nothing to tweak here to make it "more realistic". It's perfectly realistic right now and repositioning the weapon with regards to the screen will only cause it to look more like the (incorrect) weapon views seen in some other games, and will bust the animations and make them look awkward and unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan_the_bad View Post
                            LOL at the drawing insan. I guess your right and it is a field of view issue how ever im still puzzled that if you can look down and see so much of your weapon couldnt you just lock that view and bring it up?

If you did then his arms would have to grow about a foot longer lol. i just tried this with my paintball gun since i cant keep firearms in this house. holding the gun to my shoulder i can see from about the reciever forward. as i slowly lower the gun and at the same time begin looking down while tilting my head down i begin to see more of the gun because my shoulder is comming into my FOV. so its pretty much realistic the way it is right now. gotta agree with dslyecxi.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
                              ROFL

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                              Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                              Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X