Server settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server settings

Gogeta brought this up in a Coop we were doing the other day about how units seem to warp around and it makes it impossible to snipe or shoot sometimes.

i give you....

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...Tuning_Options

all the netcode settings with their descriptions.

MinErrorToSend being the most useful as far as the players lagging around, as well as MaxMsgSend and MinBandwidth.

so you want to set MinBandwidth around 75-80% of your server MAX upload speed and its in BPS - Bits Per Second. So if the server is on a 10Mbit connection you would use 7500000.

Re: Server settings

Yes this is highly annoying and seems only to happen at certain ranges and beyond (I never experience it close up. Marksmanship is hard if they are running in a straight line but practically impossible if they are weaving as they warp all over the shop. If it can be done, then let's give it a go :)
    Jex.

Comment

Yes it is possible to get 200 people on a server with little or no lag. I don't have permission to post URL but check the thread at:

flashpoint1985.com :: BI FORUMS / ARMA: ARMED ASSAULT / COMBAT OPERATIONS ArmA - MULTIPLAYER Linux Net Code

IC-Mojo has these settings and it working for him:

Here is the copy of my ARMA.CFG:
      language="English";
      adapter=-1;
      3D_Performance=1.000000;
      Resolution_W=800;
      Resolution_H=600;
      Resolution_Bpp=32;

MaxMsgSend=192;
      MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
      MaxSizeNonguaranteed=192;
      MinBandwidth=65536000
      MaxBandwidth=131072000;
      MinErrorToSend=0.011;
      MaxCustomFileSize=0;

God I hope this works so I can get a game without lag.

Comment

Originally posted by chaka View Post
        Yes it is possible to get 200 people on a server with little or no lag.
        I seriously doubt this. The closest I have heard so far was just over 110 or so and it wasn't exactly a smooth experience.

I would imagine that the practical limit for coop is somewhere in the 60-80 range, and for adversarial maybe (with very austere missions) in the 120-140 range. 200 is pushing it, and to say that you would have "little or no lag" is comical.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but are these settings dependant on my internet connection speed or the servers? If it is the servers do we have the numbers for ours available?

I have problems at long range with units "jumping" several feet at a time. If I can make some changes without any negative side effects I would be all for it.

Comment

There is a setting for how often packets regarding units positional settings are sent out to the clients. I am looking into this matter as we speak.
            --
            VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

So this is all Server side settings and not client side.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                Correct. Although I'm sure there are lots of players out there who think they have connection issues when really the problems with the server.

Comment

I believe so :)
                  Jex.

Comment

yes its all server side related. afaik there are no commands client side but i am still looking for any types of tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                      I seriously doubt this. The closest I have heard so far was just over 110 or so and it wasn't exactly a smooth experience.

I would imagine that the practical limit for coop is somewhere in the 60-80 range, and for adversarial maybe (with very austere missions) in the 120-140 range. 200 is pushing it, and to say that you would have "little or no lag" is comical.
                      the problem with having that many connections to 1 server is less of a software problem and more of a hardware problem. that is why most of your MMORPG's have server clusters because with todays technology having that many concurrent connections is impracticle.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
                        the problem with having that many connections to 1 server is less of a software problem and more of a hardware problem. that is why most of your MMORPG's have server clusters because with todays technology having that many concurrent connections is impracticle.
                        I know that, but it's outside of the scope of this. The claim was that ArmA could support 200 people now, and that's not possible. There is no clustering happening with ArmA MP currently.

Comment

I don't think i've seen an 80 player server run lag free... a bit disappointing because a major selling point was the massive multiplayer battle experience. IC arma got relatively good performance but thats only after several bouts of trial and error, along with a complete mod set made to streamline the game.

If you can somehow get us up and running with 100 players i'll be pleased... i've given up hope on a smooth arma experience.
                          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                          That noob who crashed the chopper.
                          That noob who ran over the mine.
                          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                            I don't think i've seen an 80 player server run lag free... a bit disappointing because a major selling point was the massive multiplayer battle experience. IC arma got relatively good performance but thats only after several bouts of trial and error, along with a complete mod set made to streamline the game.
                            The ShackTac/SimHQ/TG joint session from awhile back had ~85-90 players at peak, and it ran fine. That was on our older server hardware, too. With our new stuff I'm sure we could get 100+ running nicely.

It's certainly doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                              The ShackTac/SimHQ/TG joint session from awhile back had ~85-90 players at peak, and it ran fine. That was on our older server hardware, too. With our new stuff I'm sure we could get 100+ running nicely.

It's certainly doable.
                              Yes, it was surprisingly smooth with those numbers as I recall. If that was old, it would be interesting to see the new with 100+. Do I smell stress test?
                              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...