• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ArmA2 videos

Woot. some new ArmA2 videos.

here's a link to the article at Armaholic:

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?m=single&id=2255

I spy dynamic building destruction. And possibly reloading whilst moving.

discuss.

Re: New ArmA2 videos

DBD looks good and good that you can get inside the damage. Still saw a lot of unenterable buildings and also noticed the tank driver actually climbed on top of the tank so a slightly longer animation there perhaps. Nice to get some previews :)
    Jex.

Comment

Those first two videos looked fantastic. Blowing holes in buildings is awesome. Then being able to go inside those caved in walls just took it up another step. If they could connect those holes to the rest of the building, they'd be set for some hardcore urban battles.

The third video I noticed several things.
      -The AI does look a little bit smarter in CQB
      -The AI reaction times were slow, or perhaps he just had them on a low setting
      -You can now reload on the move
      -They do have a Rahmadi Island
      -They have a new assault rifle the XM8, currently in development and testing by HK
      -The Mi24 is back

Comment

It does look nice with some new features. The forests looked particularily nice to me. The image quality however doesn't look like a huge leap forwared, which is good I think. The current game looks beautifull if you can turn up the settings. I don't know if there are machines out there that can do this though? I hope they are focusing on improving the quality of the game, the fact that they aren't doing big things graphically suggests that may be the case? As well they need to optimize the game as well so we can actually enjoy all the new features.

Comment

This is still nearly the same game. I'm not going to pay $50 for this.

I'm going to be playing OF2, most likely; at least Codemasters had the initiative to move onto another engine. ArmA 2 just looks like ArmA 1 polished up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
            This is still nearly the same game. I'm not going to pay $50 for this.
            It's a year away, and you still don't know a big chunk of what will be in it. But hey, whatever.

I'm going to be playing OF2, most likely;
            If your thing is to make judgments based on a game that's a year off compared to a game that is currently nothing but talk and pre-rendered "target footage", that's cool. I don't know if OFP2 is going to be what they're hyping it to be, and I don't think anyone else does, either. It's a bit early to claim that it's going to provide the superior experience. It's also a bit early to call this "just a polished ArmA1".

at least Codemasters had the initiative to move onto another engine. ArmA 2 just looks like ArmA 1 polished up a bit.
            Codemasters has "the initiative to move onto another engine" because they do not own the OFP/VBS1/ArmA/VBS2/ArmA2 engine. It's not like they had a choice.

Comment

Seems we have some serious competition between Arma 2 and OFP 2

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
                Seems we have some serious competition between Arma 2 and OFP 2
                Well, it's pretty hard to have competition between two non-existent (as far as we are concerned) products. I'll wait for demos before I start crapping on one or the other.

Let's keep the thread to the ArmA2 videos :D

Comment

ArmA2 has my money already. OFP2, as Dslyx stated, hasn't show us anything. Their goals and stated features sound awesome, and if they can pull it off, I'll buy it.

What's wrong with BI using the same engine? Obviously it a lot of life left in it, since no one has a computer that can run it at full settings/full viewdistance smoothly. How different did the Q3 engine look during its life? Game engines have longevity, especially on games like this, where we should care more about the features instead of the looks.

Personally, I was blown away by the video of the Mi-24 cockpit, with the sunlight, etc. Also, crawling into holes blown open by the Abrams? THAT'S HUGE.

Comment

It's a terrible engine. Unless they do some major polishing with the animations and motion (we're all aware of the blockiness of the engine) it's not going to be much better. It's a known fact that OF2 will be using the Neon engine (of Dirt).

While Codemasters doesn't own the engine, it was BI's decision to keep the engine. While dedicated players like us at TG are willing to overlook such a shoddy engine, the only reason is because it's nearly the only game in its class. I think that if a more polished game came along, the market would just be swept up and away.

ArmA's problems can easily be referenced from OF. If they haven't fixed those in a game nearly 6 years into the future, how could you expect them to fix the issues in the second game? Especially when the market is held tightly by the game (until OF2 comes along, perchance.)

Of course, this is all assumption. I apologize if I seem to be ruining people's excitment about the game, but every team needs the voice of a pessimest, no?

Comment

Both worth keeping an eye on. I wish Codemasters had something to show besides their pretty "target renders", though.

Comment

Of course, this is all assumption. I apologize if I seem to be ruining people's excitment about the game, but every team needs the voice of a pessimest, no?
                        All you are doing is regurgitating discussion & opinion that has already been written elsewhere, then posting off topic in the process.

If you want to piss and moan about ArmA2 and talk about how great OFP2 will be, there are threads already started, or start your own.
                        Last edited by Brewski; 10-27-2007, 10:44 AM. Reason: cranky before coffee

Comment

It's a terrible engine.
                          No, it really isn't. There are all sorts of extremely powerful aspects of it.

Unless they do some major polishing with the animations and motion (we're all aware of the blockiness of the engine) it's not going to be much better.
                          I guess you haven't been keeping track of ArmA2 development. They've already said they're working on those aspects.

It's a known fact that OF2 will be using the Neon engine (of Dirt).
                          So? What's your point?

While Codemasters doesn't own the engine, it was BI's decision to keep the engine.
                          You are living in a fairy tale happy little dreamland if you think a small independent developer like BIS can just scrap 10+ years worth of engine and start over from scratch and then have a game out in a one-year timeframe. You seem to have a limited understanding of the situation here.

While dedicated players like us at TG are willing to overlook such a shoddy engine, the only reason is because it's nearly the only game in its class. I think that if a more polished game came along, the market would just be swept up and away.
                          Perhaps. We'll see.

ArmA's problems can easily be referenced from OF. If they haven't fixed those in a game nearly 6 years into the future, how could you expect them to fix the issues in the second game? Especially when the market is held tightly by the game (until OF2 comes along, perchance.)
                          Based on what is known about the progression from OFP->OFP:Elite->ArmA, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that ArmA2 will satisfactorily address many of the issues in the games. It wouldn't take a whole hell of a lot to take ArmA and improve it into something far more amazing. I think it's within BIS' capabilities to do this, whereas I guess you're of the mindset that some unproven team with no track record, no gameplay to show, and nothing but talk and prerenders, is a surer bet than that. That's your prerogative, though - I just find it amusing, as mentioned previously, that you're so eager to call the final result before the battle has even occurred.

Am I to take it that your stay in the TG forums will, from now on, be oriented towards bashing the sequel to a game in that game's own dedicated section of the forums? What a wonderful contribution to the community!

Comment

Looks a bit too similar to ArmA for me.

Comment

Keep in mind... bashing ArmA 2 and praising the glory of OFP 2 is a bit academic (and foolish) at this point, given that OFP 2 has nothing to show for the developers' claims.

"Target renders" are not applicable in my opinion.

Oh... and disagree, but steer clear of the bashing. I've got my eye on you! (yaaaay... *sigh*) ;P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X