The use of veteran mode and maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of veteran mode and maps

To me, Vet mode is the bees knees. I love having to work out where I am, and use the compass and map to find myself and a route to where I want to go. I also like the fact that I may screw up and turn up somewhere I shouldn't.

Two common reasons for using cadet mode are not being able to see players on the map and not being able to see name tags. These can be alleviated by learning how the map works and organising your squad.

The map may look complicated at first, but once you understand how it works, things get much easier. If you know where you are, then making your way to a point on the map should be fairly easy. Note the direction of your objective, bring the compass up to match that direction and move towards it. Is there a city in your way - good, it's a landmark to use to make sure you're on the right path. Other helpful markers are churches, buildings, roads, electricity pylons, rocks, vegetation and hills. Hill are tricky at first because you need to learn how to read contours on the map. Each contour line is 5 metres. So look at the contour and try to imagine what is would look like in 3d. The closer the lines, the steeper the side if the fill. The further apart, the more gradual the slope.

Once you have mastered the map, it is easy to locate yourself and inform other players of your location and personally, more rewarding than an unrealistic symbol.

Player tags (and yes, i would prefer limited range tags) can be worked around by having the FTL tell his squad to meet a landmark (by the rock, jeep or lamp). Once you are together, then you follow your FTL. You don't need to know who is with you, you just need to stick together (a skill you'll learn over time and then do it without thinking).

All these aspects are not hard to master but if some of them are, well that's what it's like in real life. We all have different abilities and when your working as a team, it's these abilities that people have that allow the team to work as an effective unit.
    Jex.

Re: The use of veteran mode and maps

Indeed. It was incredibly immersive when - for the first time ever in Armed Assault - I had to utilize my real world map-reading abilities to figure out where I was in the TG vs. 9th battle (I was way behind enemy lines). I broke out my compass and used the resection method to discover my precise location on the map as I moved over the hills south of Paraiso.

Comment

I would be thrilled if I could pick a start point for a line and drag it across the map, all the while it giving me the reverse bearing. Two landmarks, two lines, et voila....position known and updated.

It's this lack of map interaction that makes this a little tougher to triangulate your position in ArmA than it would be in the wild.

Comment

Yeah, no player tags makes it kind of weird but it's not a huge issue. Just know who the SL is and you're good to go. If the SL says to do something with another soldier, go to some place to rally then look at the guy to know who it is.

And map reading... pfff, I learned orienteering when I was 11. It took a short instructional lecture and a day of practice to understand how to go from point A to point B.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Love vet maps... with a passion

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
            Love vet maps... with a passion
            Me too, I should have made that clearer in the in my original post :)

I really like how it slows the pace of the game down just a bit, you actually feel like your humpin' it some place.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
              Yeah, no player tags makes it kind of weird but it's not a huge issue. Just know who the SL is and you're good to go. If the SL says to do something with another soldier, go to some place to rally then look at the guy to know who it is.
              I am looking at a way of possibly inserting a script into some of the more common missions played here that allow you to see who a player is even with vet mode on and/or friendly tags off. The script is called: SPON Recognise

If easy to implement and succesfull it could make vet mode even better since one of the few downsides I see with vet mode is the inability to "recognize" your teammates.
              LoyalGuard

Comment

It was fun on the COOP server the other night having to plot your course on the map. Makes assaults that much more intense knowing you better have people in the right positions.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Perhaps to help people out we could do some informal training on map reading if people are struggling with it? Say a sticky post with some screen shots etc. That is if there is a need for it?

It's second nature to me to work with the map, gps and compass but it used to be part of my job. Not everyone has the same exposure to it and I don't want to loose some players due to them not being able to navigate easily.

Comment

There is a sticky...but here is the info you need:http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post690243
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

*Edit* Beat to the punch by Khan.

Comment

Sooo I'm a complete idiot, thanks for re-confirming that guys ;) Didn't see the sticky there. If the info is there then it's up to people to learn it if they want to play on TG. Im in favour of veteran mode then (though name tags at short distance would be nice).

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                          Sooo I'm a complete idiot, thanks for re-confirming that guys ;) Didn't see the sticky there. If the info is there then it's up to people to learn it if they want to play on TG. Im in favour of veteran mode then (though name tags at short distance would be nice).
                          Yeah. I don't mind not having names tags at long range. But at close range when you are trying to organize a squad or something it is really needed.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

i'm gonna go rooting through all the PBO's to see if i can find the nametag parametersin a config. most likely it is something that is gonna have to be modded, so since ArmA is mostly client side based instead of server sided, every person would have to have the mod as well as the server.

Comment

As long as it is a rather simple client side fix Insanatrix (no intentional rhyming, sorry) I would be all for it. As blackmain said it's frustrating looking at the guy 5 feet away from you and having to ask who he is.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X