Some Ideas for Evolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Ideas for Evolution

Since it seems undeniable that Evolution will be our primary mode of impromptu Armed Assault matches, and secondarily I think it is fairly obvious that there are elements within Evolution which degrade people's desire and ability to function cohesively. I think it is important to take steps to have Evolution be manipulated into an environment which fosters unit cohesiveness.
    Along these lines I think there are functions performed in integrated systems contained within the framework of Evolution which essentially usurp skills which are imperative to unit cohesiveness, such as organisation, preparation and communication. Therefore I hope that awareness of these concerns will eventually lead to the cause of the problem and ideally the problem itself being remedied.
    A.Activate veteran mode, the ability to pinpoint one's geographically location at all times eliminates the rationale behind advanced route planning and is conducive to players attacking on their own accord instead of as a unit.
    B.Remove the GPS, for much of the same rationale, it acts as a substitute to comprehensive planning.
    C.Eliminate, or significantly reduce the presence of combat medics on the battlefield, combat medics, although an essential part of any military structure are poorly implemented within Evolution and Armed Assault in general. They are seemingly capable of instantly healing any wound, no matter the severity and therefore have a detrimental effect on both immersion and realism as well as replacing a sound logistical support system with a single all-healing individual.
    D.Modify the artillery system, the idea of having artillery support on the battlefield is an exciting premise however I feel the implementation of an artillery system within Evolution is lacking. I would much prefer a user controlled system with a person manning a battery of guns at base, and having to dial in coordinates.
    E.Instead of a timed respawning system supplement in a revive script. This would greatly discourage the practice of acting a hostile area alone because if you were to fail then you are out of range of friendly forces and are in a hostile area and would likely have to wait a significant amount of time before you were to rejoin the action. Furthermore, perhaps the soldiers could be revived in a debilitated state so they would have to seek assistance from a medical support vehicle.
    F.Eliminate MH-6 respawns, too often are these valuable assets used as disposable omnibuses, which is a practice used in place of an organised transportation and support system.

Re: Some Ideas for Evolution

Sam-

Thanks as always for your suggestions. I have noted that you have made a lot of these suggestions since Evo Blue TG has been out and I have been looking into some of them. Here are my initial comments:

A. Veteran Mode - Of course this is not mission dependent, rather it is a server setting and there has obviously been a lot of discussion about it lately. I will look into it further.

B. GPS - The GPS is easily removed but can also be useful when used correctly. Let's see what the rest of the community says.

C. Medics - I have been looking at a wide range of options among which are reduction in positions, removal of Insta-MASH building, and healing limitations (the last of which is most difficult). I will let you all know how these options progress.

D. Artillery - Artillery is a complex issue. Point and click isn't ideal (but not totally unrealistic) but to do anything more complex will require some thorough script substitution. There are quite a few established script options out there but I am unsure how easily they can be to inserted into Evo (see below). I am looking at some easier to implement arty alternative operations in the short term however.

E. Revive - There has been a lot of pressure on KilJoy to implement some time of revive (probably Norrin's) into Evo. Personally, the only way I support revive in ArmA is similar to how you've described it: Not always revivable, revived with mininal health, must be evac'd for full restoration. There are some promising efforts out there, but, unless KilJoy organically inserts revive into ArmA, I am very hesitant to mod it into the mission. It would be extremely difficult for me to put it in and make sure it didn't conflict with the all the internal workings of Evo. As an example, it took over ten man hours of work just to mod the support system (airstrikes, arty, disable chem strikes and nukes). There is also the hesitation to implement revives because players will disconnect and re-spawn to avoid waiting. I know that shouldn't be an issue at TG but I prefer not to leave things to chance. Let's see how this develops.

F. MH-6 Respawns - I agree with you and will look into it.
    LoyalGuard

Comment

Sam, when ever I see a thread with a long initial post by you, I go in awaiting the pie in the face :D.. But this time I was disappointed, pleasantly.

A. I agree with veteran mode being put into effect, although I dont want to loose the friendly tags.

B. GPS, I understand your points. Although, I want to keep my GPS, as in real life it is a quick way to give your position to teammates without going through the longer steps of "finding" your position with the compass.

C. Although I play as medic for obvious reasons. I understand your thoughts, I could live with loosing combat medics. But that means someone will have to drive the "medic vehicle" from city to city, leaving one person "driving the truck" while the rest of the team gets the fast ride to the front. We cant get engies to drive the repair trucks city to city.
      I could see getting rid of the medics insta-heal ability in the field. Then again, maybe the heals could only happen at a MASH by the medic.. Leaving in the medics for MASH building and revives.

D. Totally agree. The first day I saw/ heard that commander dropped "Magic Arti" was brought to ArmA. I thought of BF2, and which is why we play PoE without the "Magic Arti". As of right now, it is used WAY to much, nullifying the need for players to bring AT, Armor or use CAS. Get rid of the "Arti" altogether.

E. Revives would be very cool IMO.. IF, it was only a medic that could do so. As it is now, the revive script in some missions, allows anyone to revive anyone, which is completely WRONG.

F. Completely agree on this one.. Another reason I use AI, to fly me out and return the chopper to base :/.

Edit.. A bit off topic.. I just tried to drive the "Medic 113", and was ejected and told... Higher rank needed.. Rank needed Corporal .. Current rank Colonel
      Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 11-02-2007, 08:13 PM.
      theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
      E Pluribus Unum
      Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
      Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

C. Although I play as medic for obvious reasons. I understand your thoughts, I could live with loosing combat medics. But that means someone will have to drive the "medic vehicle" from city to city, leaving one person "driving the truck" while the rest of the team gets the fast ride to the front. We cant get engies to drive the repair trucks city to city.
        I could see getting rid of the medics insta-heal ability in the field. Then again, maybe the heals could only happen at a MASH by the medic.. Leaving in the medics for MASH building and revives.
        Alternatively you could drive/fly people back to the M113 which is at base or some forward operating position.

Comment

While I see the validity of all points, the actual problem is none of these features, but truly the way people use them. I understand the desire to focus gameplay to a more teamwork oriented approach. However, at what point do cease trying to use the game mechanics to teach people teamwork and try to show them the benefits of just playing the game the "right" way.

I would whole heartedly like to see a limited distance name tag coupled with traditional Vet mode settings. It is much more immersing to find your location and pay attention to geographic features while moving instead of being able to rely on the instant map location marker. That being said the GPS is a real life tool and while it does show your position it still does not show a large portion of the map and additional map reads are still needed.

The Arty is one of the subjects I'm wishy washy on. I think it adds a new element for low population servers. The current implementation requires the TeamLeader to receive intel on the map and call in a fire mission. In my experience this has worked well in a teamwork aspect. Usual the TeamLeader was not in a position to actual see the target. The intel was relayed and a decision made with the individual requesting the support. The limitations of the support functions are they only work on static targets. This still leaves the need for CAS roles and AT soldiers to deal with more dynamic targets.

I 100% agree that medics should be reduced as should their ability to build Mash's without any prerequisites. This essentially has removed the med evac role from the mission if a squad level medic is present. Perhaps we could work in a reduction of healing ability. A medic can stabilize, but to actual heal must be done at a Mash(with new placement limitations) or an M113 ambulance.

Bottom line is this is an online multiplayer game. The gamer mentality is to exploit the engine anyway possible to get some advantage. In a game like ArmA where there is not individual wins I still don't see why many individuals try to find ways to get a leg up. To me, the difficulty of the game is what makes it enjoyable and different from watching a movie. However, it seems many people would just like to have so many conveniences that when the going gets tough they don't have to think or try harder they just click a button and get to skip the hard part.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...