New player? Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player? Questions

Hey guys, I've been playing project reality on a TG server but I heard that ArmA was a different experience. There really isn't anyone playing on the demo but it would be nice if you guys can give me a personal list of pros and cons before I buy the game.

Re: New player? Questions

There are several threads in this very forum you may want to check out. Use the search for New or Questions.

A quick summary though, is this a simulation and not an action game like BF2. As far as realism, it is much more realistic than PR. However, PR is faster paced game. Being a simulation teamwork and movement are even more important and that is much of the focus.

Also, the Demo is absolutely terrible.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

If you are looking for no compromise realism and immersive gameplay with some great teamwork then ArmA has it. It really makes PR look like a run and gun arcade game. Down side is there always some server lag and not enough people are playing it at the moment. But if you got a PC that can run the game smoothly then you really should get ArmA. Or wait for ArmA2.

Comment

Ye I recently got a new pc that runs it good. but you say the player base is lacking? Also, I hear lots of people play against the computer, doesnt that get boring?

Comment

Originally posted by FeistySheep. View Post
          Ye I recently got a new pc that runs it good. but you say the player base is lacking? Also, I hear lots of people play against the computer, doesnt that get boring?
          Things have started to pick up. There were a lot of new game releases and the population suffered for it, but starting to see things pick up. Yes ,we play COOP's vs. the A.I. by the computer. However, this isn't any other games A.I. You will routinely be hard pressed to find a way around or through the A.I. There are also several missions that are run that do put Team vs. Team which is the typical PvP type missions. The problem with those is they are more enjoyable with large numbers on both sides so they tend to be on scheduled days as opposed to pick-up games during the week.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Feisty I used to play PR all the time and thought nothing could be better for a tactical realistic FPS. The guys at the PR forums kept talking about Arma and all the amazing missions etc. so I finally bought it despite not liking the demo. The demo is not as optimised as the current version, thankfully.

PR is a good stepping stone to PR. Coming straight from BF2 would be a shock to the system. I would suggest playing some of the single player campaign to learn the controls and get a feel for the weapons. Controlling friendly AI is a pain at times but don't let that discourage you.

I can say that I have had the most intense, immersive and enjoyable experinces playing Arma with the TG guys. Nothing else comes close. The downside is that it isn't the best game to just get a pick up game going. You need at least a few players to take on a mission. Even still one or two good games a month is worth the price.

The enemy AI is quirky but don't think they will be boring to play against. You have to have every one in your squad ready to engage before you fire a single shot or else the AI can wipe people out in seconds. Just a heads up the AI locates you via noise and sight, so if your behind cover and fire they will move on your position regardless of seeing you. They also can see through most of the small brush that you can't see through. If one AI sees you then most in the area are instantly aware of your position (think of it as them broadcasting your position over the radio). All of these factors need to be taken into account when forming an attack.

If you do decide to buy Arma have patience as it takes a while to learn, it has some bugs and the player base can fluctuate. But when it works its the best thing out there. Enjoy and see you on the server. :)

Comment

Also, I've been scouring the internets looking for small scale TvT missions to suit our players with a bloodlust for other players. Unfortunately, easier said than done. There are a few interesting adaptations of TvT...such as Sahrani Life, but they incorporate RPG elements into the game. Which isn't a big deal at all...since most of us appreciate the immersion and simulation this game offers...kinda like icing on the cake to me.

But, there are some good prospects on the rise I hope.
              | | |

Comment

FeistySheep, don't buy this title thinking that it's going to replace BF2/PR. If you're still enjoying ProjectReality and especially the team-vs-team play, you won't find a substitute or replacement for that in Armed Assault.

What you will find in Armed Assault is the bleeding edge of combat simulation - and an impressive one at that. There's a definite learning curve, but it is an enjoyable one whether you play single-player missions or join up with some other TG'ers. Pilots especially enjoy this title. I believe this game to be the pinnacle of immersion - the scale is immense.

The future of this title is in the mods, which continually arrive, so it will be interesting for some time to come. The mods are very diversified, too - some of us have been trying out Sahrini Life which is a PvP/TvT cops vs. criminals mod. The Co-Op server is running a huge set of cooperative missions as well, which several of us were running through just last night.

I think it's been said before, but Armed Assault makes PR look like arcade candy. It's a completely different ball game.

Comment

Hi FeistySheep...These Guys have summed up your Question in one..If you want to feel the hair on the back of your neck to stand up when your in the dark of night with shells going off around you..men falling by your side and bullets flying over your head not knowing if one has your name on it or just laying in wait far up high to Sniper your enemy a 1000,1500 meters or more away...ArmA is the way forward....ArmA is the missing gaming link....{9thInf}Tacho*A*

Comment

K, I am picking up the game tomorrow, but you guys have to help me learn all the stuffs :D. I guess I'll be on TS.

Comment

I'll be getting my copy in the mail tomorrow as well. You won't be the only fng completely lost! :)

Comment

OK, so I tried it but I can't really say much about it yet. Sam Hoy tried to show me around but there was no opposing team. I tried another server but the overall experience was crappy, (people talked about doing stuff I had no clue about). What I would like is a noob training session, and perhaps you guys could tell me when you gather up and play games and such. Thanks

Comment

That sounds about right to me. The first few tries at Arma MP for me were dissapointing and confusing.

Your best bet is to jump on our server with some regulars and let them know that you are new to Arma. Ask questions and you will get some answers. This is how I ended up learning and now really enjoy playing TG Arma. I don't know if we have the EVO blue mission running currently (I think it was replaced with Sahrini life) as it is a good learning mission even with two or three players.

Keep an eye on the servers over the weekend and stay on the TS channel for Arma and hopefully people we be on. Stick with it.

Comment

I'm still waiting on my copy to come in the mail. I bought it off ebay and it's taking a little longer to get here than expected. Kind of a good thing though. I'm trying to get ready for finals next week and I'm sure a new game would not help matters there! :)

Comment

I tend to play 1 or 2 missions late nights. If you see me on server feel free to join up, I'll gladly show you any ropes I know.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X