Is ARMA worth picking up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ARMA worth picking up?

I am a 2142 and most recently a COD 4 guy and was wondering if picking up ARMA would be worth the time and money?

How populated is the TG server?

Is there a good single player story or is it mainly a multi-player game?

Thanks for any comments!

Re: Is ARMA worth picking up?

I think Single Player has been overlooked on ARMA.. by most who knew that ARMA was destined for Great things in Multiplayer.. I, have never played through the Single player campaign..and from what i have heard.. it can't hold a candle to Flashpoint: Resistance...

The Games you play now..2142 and COD4.. Different type of beast... all together.. ARMA is Slow..Massive..and at times Breathtaking...
    I am currently on an ARMA break.. but I do remember the first time I took a helo ride through the northern mountains with 4 others in a squad to intercept a convoy .. Nothing better.. I swear..nothing..
    Is it worth it.. Heh.. Yeah.. Just be prepared for a whole different beastie..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Like Pear said, be prepared for an entirely different game than CoD4 and 2142. Where those two can be qualified as games, ArmA is best described as Military Simulation. The pace is much slower, but the intensity of the experience is far greater than I've experienced in any game I've played.
      | | |

Comment

Thanks peardog for the reply.

I am looking for something different. I enjoy the quick run and gun of the other games but I am also looking for something a little more realistic and enjoyable. Being an active duty soldier for the past 17 years I have been a FPS guy since I first got my Apple IIe and would like to have a game that is a more realistic military simulations than a counter-strike clone.

I was also playing a little of Americas Army but just couldnt get into the game play that much b/c the amount of occupied servers was very low. I might run out tomorrow and grab this game for a new change of pace.

How populated is the TG Arma server on the weekends?

Comment

On the weekends it can be fairly populated at times. Sunday CoOp events usually have a decent turnout. Throughout the week, it can be a little sparce, but it has been picking up lately.

Due to the nature of the game, organized sessions tend to attract more people to the server than unorganized sessions. Mostly this is because ArmA missions can be fairly time consuming...organizing allows people to set time aside to participate.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in game. Having active and ex-military players in this game really adds an enjoyable element at times.
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by HAZMAT View Post
            Thanks peardog for the reply.

I am looking for something different. I enjoy the quick run and gun of the other games but I am also looking for something a little more realistic and enjoyable. Being an active duty soldier for the past 17 years I have been a FPS guy since I first got my Apple IIe and would like to have a game that is a more realistic military simulations than a counter-strike clone.
            Take a look at my tactics guide. It's all no-bull stuff that really does apply to the ArmA experience. If you think it looks and sounds interesting, then yes, you should enjoy ArmA.

http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html

Comment

I played loads of FPS games before i found arma, games like BF2,2142 Cod4 etc etc, personally i found they were only really good for just run and gun games just spray and pray u die just respawn later. Gets boring after awhile but now i started playing arma and it i completely different game, and on the TG servers i have to say i have had more fun playing arma than any other fps style game in a long while, altough it takes a bit to get into the game if your coming from games like BF 2142 it is good once you get going. Also i'm normally online alot and ready to jump into an arma game.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Hows it compare to something like Project Reality? cuz PR has a bunch of teamplay on the TG server and on some of the others and its pretty tactical as long as you have a good commander although I do know what whoever was saying about how its sort of a just-put-as-many-bullets-into-the-other-persons-body as you can type of game if your going as infantry...

Whats the airborne things like in ArmA and any Naval things like just aircraft carriers or artillery??

I played the demo and the controls confused the f*ck out of me, they get easier to adapt to as you go along or do you truely have to know what every single button does?
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

You can get by easily with only the normal FPS controls. I bound all of my controls to Call of Duty keys.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                    Hows it compare to something like Project Reality? cuz PR has a bunch of teamplay on the TG server and on some of the others and its pretty tactical as long as you have a good commander although I do know what whoever was saying about how its sort of a just-put-as-many-bullets-into-the-other-persons-body as you can type of game if your going as infantry...

Whats the airborne things like in ArmA and any Naval things like just aircraft carriers or artillery??

I played the demo and the controls confused the f*ck out of me, they get easier to adapt to as you go along or do you truely have to know what every single button does?
                    PR and ArmA are really apples and oranges. Even after the .7 release that took out some of the more "unrealistic" features of the game. Though both have exceptional levels of teamwork on the TG servers. And while there are TvT elements to ArmA, most missions you will find yourself playing will be against AI. But don't let that scare you off, the AI are tougher than your average AI in other games.

And I really can't emphasize enough that where PR/2142/BFx are rightfully called games...ArmA is a simulation.

As for controls...at first it may seem overwhelming. But it doesn't take long to figure out which controls are necessary and which controls you'll rarely find yourself using.
                    | | |

Comment

The word simulation has been used a couple of times, but maybe to give you the flavor of what that means...

There are defined mission objectives, but no areas that are "out of bounds" on the map. That means you have a lot more flexibility to attack or move in any direction. At its heart, ArmA is a big playground there to be populated (and then de-populated if you get my drift).

The graphics and draw distances can be set quite high (if your system can take it), which allows for engagements of 1000+ meters, if you have the weapons to engage that far, that is.

The missions are user-created, so there is a lot of creativity in the concepts and length of the missions. On some of the longer ones, it is not unusual to achieve a first objective, then take some reorg, repair and rearm time before moving to the next objective. Sometimes this can mean calling for and waiting for air evac, if someone in game is playing a dedicated air role.

I joined TG during the BF2 vanilla days and slowly made a shift over to ArmA as my most frequent game. Even though the missions can be long, this suits my more limited game time as there is less need for twitch and constant practice. But that doesn't mean it can't be intense... some of the most heart thumping moments I've had playing games were when anticipating what was around the next corner in ArmA.

Comment

I'm gonna bump Fenian's question: How does it compare to Project Reality?

I've just recently gotten into Project Reality and the teamwork is unlike anything I've ever experienced on public servers. Most players using voip, joining squads, using tactical terms, moving as one unit, etc. Ive read alot of Dslyecxi's articles on Arma and it looks really intense in organized play but how about normal pub play? Am I going to have to wait until designated times to play tactically or can I just hop on a server and have incredible teamwork with plenty of players. My fear is that Arma is great but barely anyone plays it.

Comment

Honestly, the odds of just hopping onto a full ArmA server at TG are pretty slim. The organized sessions populate the server the most and we are trying to maintain a weekly schedule with those.

As far as teamwork goes, when there are players on the server, there is generally great teamwork going on. I'm not going to compare PR to ArmA, however. As I said before...apples and oranges. And I like apples AND oranges.
                          | | |

Comment

Well how many people do you have on organized nights?

Comment

Last sunday we peaked at 23 I think? Mission supported 24 players. I'm not sure, I had to bail halfway through the first mission. But I checked in and I noticed 23 players on at one point.

When we were active in the MWB's (Mid Week Battles..TvT oriented) hosted by the 9th Inf, there were an upward of 80 players I believe.
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X