Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Float setting, free look, and other commands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Float setting, free look, and other commands?

What do you have your float set at? It seems even at max the window isn't that huge, so I don't see a point to any setting between 0 and max. I have mine at max, it makes it different from other FPSs and feels more like OFP. But it is harder to hit targets close up.

How often do you use free look, and are the keypad ones more useful? It seems I mostly use freelook to look to the side and moving the mouse can get tedious if I have to pick it up to recenter it. Anyone have success rebinding numpad 1 and 3 (I know about TrackIR so you don't have to mention it)?

Do people use the default multi-function right mouse commands? Would iron sights come up faster if the hold command was taken off (doesn't have to test the length). I also binded another key to zoom, it seems worthless to stay unzoomed when the enemy is so far away and hard to see. I hardly hear the hold breath command, how much difference does it make?

Any one opinions? Is space bar really worth it for a command mode, I haven't used it in SP so far. What is the deal with "go prone" and a different "prone command".

I've also had trouble with a shift or ctrl+w to evasive foward, I can't tap it or hold it if I already have W down; so I have to quickly tap ctrl, then W to do it. I've just set it to ctrl so I can tap it whenever.
    Last edited by Human Shield; 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM.

Re: Opinions on Float setting, free look, and other commands?

Originally posted by Human Shield View Post
    What do you have your float set at? It seems even at max the window isn't that huge, so I don't see a point to any setting between 0 and max. I have mine at max, it makes it different from other FPSs and feels more like OFP. But it is harder to hit targets close up.
    I set the float so that when I have night vision on, my crosshairs don't leave my field of vision.

How often do you use free look, and are the keypad ones more useful? It seems I mostly use freelook to look to the side and moving the mouse can get tedious if I have to pick it up to recenter it. Anyone have success rebinding numpad 1 and 3 (I know about TrackIR so you don't have to mention it)?
    Before I had trackIR I used it a lot. I had a G5 mouse with the tilting mouse wheel and I bound those keys so I could quickly free-look right and left when shouldering the weapon.

You can also bind a button that toggles free look and then you can look around with your mouse. As soon as you release the button, your view centres back on your body.

Do people use the default multi-function right mouse commands? Would iron sights come up faster if the hold command was taken off (doesn't have to test the length). I also binded another key to zoom, it seems worthless to stay unzoomed when the enemy is so far away and hard to see. I hardly hear the hold breath command, how much difference does it make?
    I've just left this as default..I haven't noticed any difference myself. I have bound a separate set of keys for zoom so that I can stay zoomed in without holding down the right mouse button. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Brewski; 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I use it towards max setting. I enjoy it. I did remove the hold breath command. I believe it's like stamina. YOu can get a benefit from holding breath, but when it runs out it adversely affects. I think the benefit negligible for those not sniping. I think I found that information on a tweak site and didn't do a lot of testing to verify.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I run with no freeaim zone, but that's because I use TrackIR to look around. My right mouse is zoom only - holding breath is on another key. This has worked well for me.

Comment

I prefer no floating at all; I hold Alt to look around (or double-tap it for the toggle).
          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
            I prefer no floating at all; I hold Alt to look around (or double-tap it for the toggle).
            same here for me.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

What do you have your float set at?
              I have my float set to roughly 1/3 of maximum. I could go more, but I don't think it's really nessesary to. I don't like 0 float because it looks really rigid to have it locked to center screen.

I have TrackIR as well, so I have no need for freelook. I use TrackIR for leaning and zooming, so I don't require keys for those functions either. I've changed many of my default keybinds to better suit my current setup.

The heavy breathing while zoomed is due to your character "Holding Breath". If you rebound this key to "Zoom In" then your character would not breath so hard. I suggest binding a new key to "Hold Breath" on your keyboard. Clicking with the RMB can possibly throw off your aim, but if it's bound to a keyboard key you won't accidently move the mouse.

In my setup, Ctrl is the Hold Breath key. I also use Ctrl as an overall "modifier key" since briefly tapping "hold breath" has essentially no effect in most situations. I'll give you some examples:

[T] = Show Watch | [Ctrl] + [T] = Toggle Watch
              [C] = Show Compass | [Ctrl] + [C] = Toggle Compass
              [X] = Show GPS | [Ctrl] + [X] = Toggle GPS

In these examples, Holding Control [Ctrl] modifies the function from hold to toggle. Having a dedicated modifier key is a good way to get alot of keybinds close to the left hand side of the keyboard.

Is space bar really worth it for a command mode, I haven't used it in SP so far.
              I don't normally play much SP, especially with AI under my command. I do occasionally use the space key to give my teammates immediate waypoints or places I plan for them to head next.

IIRC, Control is also my "watch direction" key, so I could hit [Space] + [Ctrl] to order my team to "WATCH DIRECTION".

What is the deal with "go prone" and a different "prone command".
              "Go Prone" is essentially a toggle between prone and standing. "Prone" will only go prone, even if you are already prone.

The default setup is 3 keys (actual names may be different): "Standing", "Crouched", and "Prone". It's quite simple, hit the key for the position you want to switch to.

That system however is rather inefficient, because pressing the key for the possition you are already in (for instance, pressing "crouch" when already crouched) does nothing. Operation Flashpoint (ArmA's predecessor) had a much smarter, yet more difficult to get used to system. One key ("Up") would toggle between standing and crouching, while the other ("Go Prone") would toggle between prone and standing. Here is how it would work in OFP:

[Q] = "UP" | [Z] = "Go Prone"

Standing
              [Q] = Crouch
              [Z] = Prone

Crouching
              [Q] = Stand Up
              [Z] = Prone

Prone
              [Q] = Crouch
              [Z] = Stand Up

This is also my setup for ArmA, since I've become used to it from OFP. This system only required 2 keys, but the key placement was unusual of FPS games. You no longer have a useless position key. After a while this becomes a very intuitive system, especially with the suggested key setup, because the "Go Prone" key is under the "Up" key.

I've also had trouble with a shift or ctrl+w to evasive foward, I can't tap it or hold it if I already have W down; so I have to quickly tap ctrl, then W to do it. I've just set it to ctrl so I can tap it whenever.
              Referencing OFP again, there were 2 ways to sprint. [Shift] + [W] or simply [E]. For ArmA I use [Shift] + [W] for jogging and [E] for "Evasive Forward". I currently have to doubletap [Shift] to toggle to walking at the start, otherwise [Shift] + [W] causes you to walk. Although you can switch to "Evasive Forward" sprinting at any point in a jog, you will have to stop in order switch back to jogging.

------------------------------
              Now, some controls I didn't cover:

[Tab] = "Direct Chat" - for VOIP local Communication
              [Alt] = (Teamspeak) "Push to Talk" | [Ctrl] + (Numpad keys) = Switch Channels
              [Win] = (VOIP) "Push to Talk" - for VOIP radio communication

[Shift] + [A] = "Evasive Left" | [Shift] + [D] = "Evasive Right" - Rolls Left/Right when prone
              [Shift] + [A] = "Lean Left" | [Shift] + [D] = "Lean Right" - Same keys for rolling also lean
              [Ctrl] + [A] = "Toggle Lean Left" | [Ctrl] + [D] = "Toggle Lean Right" - modifier key remember?

Vehicles
              [E] = "Get Out" - gets out of vehicle when stopped
              2X[E] = "Eject" - (aka "GET OUT! GET OUT!") exits the vehicle even when in motion, will leave engine running. Nice if you're a pilot and don't want the blades to wind down.

Armed Vehicles
              [Q] = "Turn Out"
              [A] = "Switch to Gunner"
              [Z] = "Turn In"

"Turn Out"/"Turn In" bound to the same keys as "Up"/"Go Prone". Having these keys bound can really help you duck out of trouble quickly. "Switch to Gunner" is handy if you're driving and you don't have a gunner or the gunner dies. Just hit this key instead of fiddling with the action menu. You cannot "Switch to Gunner" while flying AFAIK, but will instead toggle between Door Gunner and Crew Chief in the UH60.

Aircraft
              [D] = "Autohover"
              X2[D] = "Cancel Autohover"
              [Q] = "Flaps Up"
              [Z] = "Flaps Down"
              [W] = "Gear Up"
              [S] = "Gear Down"

I use a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick to fly. It has buttons that I use for "Next Target", "Switch Weapons", and "Fire". I adjust throttle with the throttle stick and twist the joystick for yaw control. For more precise helicopter manuvers, the mouse is definitely better, so I switch to mouse when I need maximum control over helo pitch and roll.

I think that covers my basic setup. If you have any questions about it just ask.

Comment

I understand how TrackIR can be very useful in an aircraft. But what's the benefit of using it when on foot? ISn't it just as fast to moue around without freelook? I don't even use freelook at all. I'm no expert (I've only played a few hours so far), so enlighten me please ;)

Comment

You don't have to hold Alt to do it if you have TrackIR. Also, if moving your head moves your head and moving your arms moves your arms, you're a bit closer to realism and probably more effective.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
                    I understand how TrackIR can be very useful in an aircraft. But what's the benefit of using it when on foot? Isn't it just as fast to moue around without freelook?
                    Not really.

You can probably get a bit of a speed boost by running diagonally (which I wish BIS would do something about), but if you want to watch any further than 10 and 2 o'clock positions, you're going to be walking sideways or backwards and slowing down. You'd be moving much faster if you were sprinting/jogging in the direction you wanted to go and just scanning around with freelook. If you're crossing a dangerous intersection or field, it's best to get through as quickly as possible.

I guess a common example of where freelook would be advantageous would be when you are not attacking, but rather retreating. You don't want to be turning around to see if you are being chased because that would only slow you down. TrackIR would help greatly in this scenario, since you could also zig-zag at the same time.

Comment

I use TIR also. And really it is all about Situational Awareness. For example; Have u ever been with a squad, been told to look in one direction to look back and find your squad has picked up and moved? Well, with TIR, its not a matter of completely turning around. While I am watching my sector, I can do a quick scan to my left and right and see my squad is getting up. I then proceed to do the same.

It also helps while moving with a fireteam and or squad. You may want to keep a certain distance and when your moving and looking to the left you have no idea where your team is. You have to turn around look for them and so on. But with TIR i can glance over my shoulder, see I am getting to close and hold off for a bit.

Isn't it just as fast to moue around without freelook?
                      I believe Catch may have mis-read, or I may be. But TIR is a lot faster then using free look with the mouse. Plus, while using freelook with your mouse, your directional movement is gone. With TIR you can look to your left while turning, this may be helpful when turning around and wanting to keep an eye on a specific target, or something to that effect. Free Look(via mouse) is only good while your are moving in one direction, or staying still(imo). But TIR is useful everywhere.

Now to OP; I do have a float zone, but it is not maxed, its about 1/3 of the way(from 0->100) I find anything more, you loose your cross hairs in NV and what not. Also, when fighting in CQB, having to move your mouse that much more to turn right or left could be a life and death second. Personal preference though.

Agnew

Comment

If you're learning the game, get rid of float, as it'll make movement easier earlier. I've enabled it again because it's really useful.
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by J.Agnew7 View Post
                          Also, when fighting in CQB, having to move your mouse that much more to turn right or left could be a life and death second. Personal preference though.

Agnew
                          I'm getting more and more intrested in that TrackIR. Would it be possible to set it up the other way around? Instead of having trackIR set for free look, you could set it up to turn left/right and pitch up/down (like the mouse normally does) Now you move your head to move your body around. Now that you can move your character with your head, set the box to maximum so you have room to navigate with the mouse to aim?

That way, you have the speed of trackIR and the accuracy of the mouse. But I guess it would only be good for QCB because you loose the ability to look around while runnign in one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
                            I'm getting more and more intrested in that TrackIR. Would it be possible to set it up the other way around? Instead of having trackIR set for free look, you could set it up to turn left/right and pitch up/down (like the mouse normally does) Now you move your head to move your body around. Now that you can move your character with your head, set the box to maximum so you have room to navigate with the mouse to aim?

That way, you have the speed of trackIR and the accuracy of the mouse. But I guess it would only be good for QCB because you loose the ability to look around while running in one direction.
                            I don't think it would work. Dslyecxi would know more about it I think. But I think it would be to hard to control. Plus why would you want to do that? You can move with ur WSAD and turn with your mouse, and look around with your head. Doing it differently would get confusing imo.

Trust me in the fact that havinbg a Low float zone + TIR is well worth it. Well, In my opinion lol.

Agnew

Comment

I set mines on 0 float cause it makes me dizzy when im trying to shoot :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X