This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has ARMA died?

Hey everyone, I took a hiatus back in November, expecting to return when the patch was released, but now that I check on TS every once in a while, I fail to ever find anyone in the arma channels! Wheres the arma crowd gone?

Whats the expectation on user return if they ever release a solid 1.09? Very sad to say, but I think the whole 'patch it to playable a year after release' may have sunk ARMA :(

Anywho, I'll try to show up a bit more frequently now... but cant I cant play arma alone (well, I can, but its not the same)! Do we still have our player base?

//edit
    Ah, i just noticed the activeness thread below, feel free to move/merge.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Has ARMA died?

ArmA hasn't died. There's been quite a bit of action throughout the week lately, albeit we're not seeing the same numbers we were seeing months ago. Sunday Coop's are on the comeback as well.
    | | |

Comment

hello, sorry i have been busy with getting into university. But Im back again, and ready for some decent play, had a good game earlier with grunt who has returned himself after a short break. But hopfeully I will be a bit more regular now on. Anyway see you all tomorrow at 9pm!!!!!
      Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

I can't play ArmA during the week because it's a lot more fun when I can make a four hour commitment, which is unusual on a weekday. As such, my ArmA gaming is limited to organized weekend events.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
          I can't play ArmA during the week because it's a lot more fun when I can make a four hour commitment, which is unusual on a weekday. As such, my ArmA gaming is limited to organized weekend events.
          I think that has always been ArmA's biggest negative. It takes more of a commitment to play as time and quality players are needed. The perpetual missions with join in progress and respawn (Like Saharani Life or Evolution) alleviated some of the need for either which is why there were more consistent populations during the week. However, now when you do find a game the quality makes up for the lack of quantity.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

That said, four hours of ArmA is worth a year of any other game.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Hear hear!!! Khan hits the nail on the head can't wait till tomorrow!!! Should be fun.
              Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

ArmA is best played in groups of people. That is why we have returned to the scheduled events on TG. We have various pick-up games during the week, but none can compare to something that is preplanned.

With the holidays over and people returning back to schedules, the server has picked back up so games are more frequent again. The beta patch has helped as well, it has started to restore a bit of confidence in the game and bring the hardcore players back out. I imagine with the final release of the patch, it will only get better!
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                  Whats the expectation on user return if they ever release a solid 1.09? Very sad to say, but I think the whole 'patch it to playable a year after release' may have sunk ARMA :(
                  That's such a load of bull. ArmA has been playable for the majority of its life, 1.09 improves things, but it's not like you couldn't get by in it previously with reasonable settings.

I'm not going to go into the details of what I believe went wrong with TG's ArmA group (I've already discussed it with people who can do something about it), but I will say that the return to scheduled sessions is definitely the way to go. If it weren't for the fact that our server (which is associated with Shacknews.com, that is currently down) just went down, we would have 57 people playing ArmA right now. That comes in part from the fact that we understand that the game is best played in a scheduled, predictable weekly fashion while still allowing for impromptu things at other times. TG can get to that level (in theory), but it's only going to happen if people commit towards it and don't drop the TG ArmA group at the slightest sign of roughness.

Comment

Sorry Dslyecxi but i got arma when it was first released for US, and the performance was terrible with specs well beyond recommended. Advertised features were inoperable (voip and large scale tvt), and patching 6 months later has still not brought the game to what the box says it is.

Arma can be a great game when its done... but i won't back down on the fact that it was not ready on release... I know you take great offense to such an assertion, but its true whether it sits well with you or not.

Much to my disappointment, several months after they started talking about an imminent 1.09 release, its not there. So please, stop defending ARMA so vehemently. It will be a great game when its done, but most criticisms so far are dead on.

And despite the problems, I would like to play it... should it ever work properly! (though i have no intention of spending a dime on ARMA II: fool me once shame on you... fool me twice...
                    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                    That noob who crashed the chopper.
                    That noob who ran over the mine.
                    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Sorry Dslyecxi but i got arma when it was first released for US,
                      I've been playing ArmA since August of 2006. I am very much familiar with the performance of it, on good and not-so-good hardware.

and the performance was terrible with specs well beyond recommended.
                      Use lower settings and it performed well back then. I've been playing on specs "well beyond recommended" for awhile and have always done so at a 1600x1200 resolution with reasonable visual options.

Advertised features were inoperable (voip and large scale tvt)
                      VOIP has been worked on and is very close to working properly. Close enough that we use it to good effect in the 1.09 beta.

"Large scale TvT" is entirely possible and if you would take a look at the past threads here you would be able to find an example of a joint session in May of 2007 where there were 80+ players in one of our sessions playing adversarial gametypes. Tournaments like IC-ArmA and elsewhere have had over 100 players playing at once. You're mistaken if you think "large scale TvT" hasn't happened.

and patching 6 months later has still not brought the game to what the box says it is.
                      Not at all true.

Arma can be a great game when its done... but i won't back down on the fact that it was not ready on release... I know you take great offense to such an assertion, but its true whether it sits well with you or not.
                      Seeing someone so grossly exaggerate and misrepresent the issues is what annoys me. It wasn't flawless on release, but it was certainly playable, and as of 1.09 it's been given a hell of a lot of quality post-release support. If you don't like it now, you wouldn't like it regardless.

Much to my disappointment, several months after they started talking about an imminent 1.09 release, its not there. So please, stop defending ARMA so vehemently. It will be a great game when its done, but most criticisms so far are dead on.
                      No, they aren't "dead on", and your apparent ignorance of the fact that 1.09 is out in beta (which is to say: it is perfectly usable and there are NO reasons not to be running it at present) only further shows that you're not intending to give the game a fair shot to begin with and are more content to bash it for whatever issues you believe there are with it.

And despite the problems, I would like to play it... should it ever work properly!
                      I don't know what you're expecting, but if you don't like 1.09, you're never going to like the game. You might as well come to grips with that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                        Wheres the arma crowd gone?
                        Dslyecxi has good reasons to believe what he does. Some ArmA groups are flurishing dispite ArmA's problems.

You should take that into consideration.
                        Last edited by Catch22; 01-20-2008, 01:36 PM. Reason: bad form

Comment

You know... Shack Tactical is a great group, and D is a great administrator there... but to come into someone else's house with comments like that is very bad form Catch22... your group may be great, but a number of you got this "better then everyone else" attitude, that I frankly wouldn't want any part of.

ArmA is not dead... I see full servers all the time, and my own group fills squad size missions 3 times a week. Scheduled events and commitments are needed... if I didn't run our SWAT4 server every Sunday, I'd probably be here playing ArmA with TG.
                          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I appologise if I offended, I didn't really mean for my post to turn into a ShackTac love letter.

Dslyecxi straightened me out via IRC.

Comment

This thread has not proved as productive as hoped...
                              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X