Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Team Coop in ArmA?

Hello :)

My friends and I like to play coop multiplayer in tactical shooters. Our current favourites are Ghost Recon, Raven Shield and SWAT 4. However, we're always on the lookout for new games to add the mix, so I was wondering how suitable ArmA might be as an additional game?

The first point to note is that there are usually only 3-5 of us playing, thus anything requiring lots of people is no go.

I've had a little play with ArmA and although it seemed well setup for huge battles it didn't look so appropriate for small teams ... Also I played through the first few single player missions (which I imagine would be the mainstay of coop play) and was somewhat un-impressed. The missions were generally highly unrealistic (1 guy versus an entire platoon), and not really very captivating. Looking at the mission list not many co-op missions seemed to come with the game by default ...

So yes, is ArmA suitable for small team co-op play? Are there mods and missions packs with better missions than the standard single-player ones? I saw that there is a mission editor, but sadly none of us have the time to custom design missions ...

TomShak

Re: Small Team Coop in ArmA?

COOP is the preferred playstyle around here. There are a whole multitude of much more realistic missions available. Also, there are a slew of missions designed for smaller numbers like described. If you enjoy the games you listed, the ArmA coops will be a welcomed addition. It is best to look at ArmA as a framework from the developers. The community has filled in that framework with great missions and great gameplay mods. My first suggestion is to grab a sound mod(stock sounds are not very good) and then hop on our server and check out some of the missions listed that have "Sim HQ: Small Unit" in their title. They are realistic and easily accomplished with a small group.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

ArmA definitely has the capacity for small population missions, and I'll be designing some in the near future provided I have the time to dedicate to the tedious task of controlling the AI. Also consider that five people can effectively complete large scale missions with the use of large squads of AI commanded by the human players, which I've had fun with in the past.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Of all the coop missions I've played i've found I enjoyed the smallest ones best...just for that group size. Very immersive.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the replies :) Also thanks for the tip on Sim HQ Small Unit missions, however there only seem to be three of them, is that right?

I think we'd be quite happy fighting alongside the AI, as long as the AI were doing there own thing and we could ignore them to a large degree. However, I've had a go at managing the AI in a few missions and it drove me half crazy: No not that way! What are you doing? No don't get stuck, oh bother! What are you trying to do with that HMMWV? ;)

So I might pass on that idea ... :)

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
          Of all the coop missions I've played i've found I enjoyed the smallest ones best...just for that group size. Very immersive.
          Yes, small group size is good, you get such a good sense of working together in a 4 man team.

Comment

The SimHQ mission pack is here:
            http://www.gettacticaldammit.com/fil...Pack%20v5F.zip

it contains some of the smaller missions, it also contains bigger missions but are broken down into fireteams... it makes it a little more difficult, but most (but not all) of the missions can be played with just one fireteam... or each of your players can take there own fireteam (AI controlled) and run it that way... but you have to micromanage the AI to get any good use out of them.

We are also working on a new complete set of missions, and a handful of them will be 4 to 6 man SF type missions... infiltrate, blow up a bridge, get out... or steal documents, or kill a visiting general or whatever... and we try to keep them as realistic as the game allows, but sometimes this takes away from the fun...so we try and keep it balanced.

Good luck.

ADDED:

BTW... here is my current small size mission, great for up to 5 players, I played it with the AI... they can be hit and miss:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/picture...d-assault.html

Thats not in the pack, but it is on our server now, get it that way.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Small unit CoOp is the name of the game here at TG. We do have a weekly event where you will see a few more people, but the norm during the week is the small team size missions.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TomShak View Post
                Thanks for the replies :) Also thanks for the tip on Sim HQ Small Unit missions, however there only seem to be three of them, is that right?

I think we'd be quite happy fighting alongside the AI, as long as the AI were doing there own thing and we could ignore them to a large degree. However, I've had a go at managing the AI in a few missions and it drove me half crazy: No not that way! What are you doing? No don't get stuck, oh bother! What are you trying to do with that HMMWV? ;)

So I might pass on that idea ... :)
                I believe there are way more than 3 simhq missions at last check (20+ ?). They usually make them available in packs. I'm sure Magnum will be dropping by to give you the lowdown.

Small co-op is great in ArmA, but usually boils down to Recon/SF type missions. CQB against AI leaves much to be desired, so you will likely be disappointed with this type of play with ArmA (coming from SWAT4, Raven shield, etc.).

As mentioned, you can do large co-ops with small amounts of people, as long as you are willing to micro manage your fireteam full of AI. I find it just becomes more tedious than rewarding, but to each their own.

Cheers
                Last edited by Brewski; 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM. Reason: Gah! Magnum is quick

Comment

I've been experimenting a lot recently with AI, and I might have found a way to make the friendly AI more useful. More word on that when I've got some actual results instead of a promising hunch.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                    I believe there are way more than 3 simhq missions at last check (20+ ?). They usually make them available in packs.
                    There are 32 missions in total in the pack I found (at Magnum's website it seems, google does work ;)) however only 3 of them are "Small Unit", the rest seem to be designed for 20-ish players.

Small co-op is great in ArmA, but usually boils down to Recon/SF type missions. CQB against AI leaves much to be desired, so you will likely be disappointed with this type of play with ArmA (coming from SWAT4, Raven shield, etc.).
                    Recon/SF is fine, though lack of good CQB is a shame. Mind you CQB is a nightmare in Ghost Recon too, so ...

As mentioned, you can do large co-ops with small amounts of people, as long as you are willing to micro manage your fireteam full of AI. I find it just becomes more tedious than rewarding, but to each their own.
                    Yeah ... I think "tedious" would describe it from my experience of managing the AI so far ... :)

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                    The SimHQ mission pack is here:
                    it contains some of the smaller missions, it also contains bigger missions but are broken down into fireteams... it makes it a little more difficult, but most (but not all) of the missions can be played with just one fireteam...
                    That's interesting to know, I'll have a go at a few of the larger ones with an AI fireteam :)

We are also working on a new complete set of missions, and a handful of them will be 4 to 6 man SF type missions...
                    I'll definitely keep an eye out for it :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X