Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Carp and I thought PRM was confusing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Carp and I thought PRM was confusing.

Been wanting to play ArmedA for a while now so finally fired it up and started the training sessions.

Since I cant use the "WASD" for movement (finger cramp up) I started reassigning keys. Of course when I assign a key to an action it turns red so I have to delete the other use so its becoming a confusing mess.

AH well , once I get it all figured out I'm gonna try a few SP missions before going online with it,but it does look challenging to say the least.

Probably by that time everyone else will have moved onto something else..story of my life.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Holy Carp and I thought PRM was confusing.

You can try the single player, but to tell you the truth, they suck.
    I really did try to get them working right, but there seems to be so many bugs in the single player it made me want to completely give up on the game.
    Then I tried multiplayer and am much happier.
    The single players will get stuck on some maps it seems like, and not let you move key events forward, even though I kept restarting over and over on those maps.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also, the AI in the single player missions is nigh impossible to defeat. Players or really complex scripting with many random factors make the game much more fun. Playing with people is less effort.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

It really is 2 differents things. I've been playing ArmA for 2 weeks now, and I can tell you that I prefer learning the game with real people rather than against the one-shot-one-kill-as-soon-as-you-get-spotted-AI.

Good luck with the re-mapping. Sounds like a real pain!

Comment

Hmmm, I have the opposite experience. The Single Player is so boring to me because i try to play the missions and the enemy runs right at me and doesn't shoot until I've had time to eat a candy bar and tie my boot laces. Most of the time I never see an enemy since all my squad leader is doing is telling me to engage some "man at 1 O'clock, 100 meters". By the time I figure out what his droning, monotone voice is telling me, some other squad has moved up and yelled "I got him". So I basically just walk through the missions while getting lost trying to figure out where my targets are and my squad wanders off somewhere else. Then I call "Where are you?" and I get some map coordinates that I can't seem to make any sense of since the area specified is so huge, just about the whole team is in there somewhere, myself included. The campaign is a little more challenging but mostly just frustrating. The AI is definitely better on the campaign, why I don't understand, but if you don't hit every waypoint and do exactly what the game wants at the right time, you end up stuck and can't complete the mission and it all goes to crap.

If the single player was all there was to this game, I would be posting on every forum in existence for no one to buy this game in hopes of running the company out of business. Seriously, why even bother wasting disk space with the load of crap the single player game is?

I'm very interested in playing online because of what some of the 10th guys have been telling me and after reading some of the AARs, but it's a little hard to just jump in when the controls are completely weird and more numerous then could ever be needed and the structure of the online play is a mystery to me. I was looking for something with the realism of America's Army, but with the scale of BF2 and I was told ArmA was it, but so far I'm more than a little confused as to what to do with this game, lol.

Comment

This game is so beyond massive compared to BF2 you can't even make the comparison. I also find it to be more realistic than America's Army, but that's not really relevant.

Yes, the single player is terrible. The most fun I've had is with missions I've written myself as experiments, because when you do make terribly complex rules for the AI, they do get more fun to play against.

In terms of controls, you'll probably need, on a regular basis:
            • The standard movement controls: forwards, backwards, strafing, leaning, sprinting, crouching, prone, zoom, and free look.
            • Weapon controls: fire, reload, scope, hold breath, and quick switch to sidearm (I use it a lot, no idea how much anyone else uses it).
            • Navigation controls: map, GPS, compass, and watch.

Aside from that, you don't need much when you're not in a vehicle, although Teamspeak binds are pretty important for playing at TG.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
              This game is so beyond massive compared to BF2 you can't even make the comparison...
              I can only imagine this. I've only been in games with 10-12 people max. It seems like ArmA needs a popularity boost.

Comment

Change your keys a little at a time as you get more comfortable with the game.
                Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
                  I can only imagine this. I've only been in games with 10-12 people max. It seems like ArmA needs a popularity boost.
                  Actually, we are starting to see this as more Pub's come into the server. Last Sunday, we had 10 people at one point. The most I've ever played with was right when the game came out and we had something like 25+. The Players are out there, they just need confidence that the bugs are being addressed. With the 1.11beta patch even more people may start to migrate over, but we'll wait and see.
                  sigpic

Comment

Beer, as far as controls go, you won't use half of the ones listed. Once we get our ArmA module running in TGU, we'll teach you the basic controls you actually do need. I think I use a total of somewhere around 15 keys? That's all you really need.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

The controls arent actually all that hard to get used to after you go through them in the options by Infantry, Vehicles and Aircrafts... The only thing Im still having troubles with is the targeting system.. And is it possible to shoot javelins up in the air so they come back down on the target instead of direct shot? and why does TG not play the most up-to-date version of ArmA?
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Ferian420, we do play the most recent version that is available to the public. The 1.09beta patch is the most current patch that I know of. The 1.11beta patch is only being playtested and not released yet, as far as I know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Javelins DO shoot up in the air when you launch them, provided you have a target. TG is currently playing the most up to date version publicly available.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Ah, nvm then??? I think I have 1.08 but theirs still alot of people that play that version then I guess, downloaded it off of steam, they usually keep their stuff up to date, although it is steam...
                            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Well the 1.09beta is not an "official" release... So, most retail sites only have 1.08 as the most current.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X