Short Squad Leader Lessons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Squad Leader Lessons?

Is there anyone who could volunteer for a short, maybe 1-2 hour in-game lesson on how to be an effective squad leader? We're getting a lot of new people in and I've got some experience with ArmA, I'd like to take leadership roles but I'm just not that comfortable with them. So I cop out of leadership roles that we sometimes have a hard time filling.

Mostly it comes down me needing help in tactics of situational awareness (of our entire group), squad movement, and effective fire. Also, I want them to have fun and not think I'm some squad Nazi or don't know what I'm doing. I have a lot of fun playing under Gogeta and Ivan, among lots of others, and I'd like to replicate that style for our new people.

Re: Short Squad Leader Lessons?

Start with this thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post932122

If you see me on TS, drop in the channel even if it is not ArmA and I'll be glad to help you out anytime.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Now that we got alot more people playing ArmA we should see about getting TGU training going for people..

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

A TGU module is already in the works. We'll keep you updated once it's ready for launch.
        | | |

Comment

Excellent, I for one am eager to learn a bit more about ArmA now that I've had a small sampling. I will try to sign up for any ArmA course offered at TGU.

Comment

I am in the same situation as you Vanity. I will gladly let anyone else lead my squad, but sometimes there is just noone to take command and I'd like to step up. Really, the only times I want to lead is when I'm in a squad with a poor leader, so, it's not too often :row__593:

I don't think that being a good squad leader can be thaught. You can learn how to be a better soldier, but you have to develop leadership on your own, IMHO.

Here's a suggestion; In order for the ''younger'' ones to take leading experience, could the squad leaders use their fireteam leaders more? Give them simple tasks just to get them used to leading a few men. With direct comms, I think it makes it easier for that kind play style.

Comment

On larger missions, where Fireteams are more practical, the Squad Leader's job is to organize the bigger picture. Essentially they say "Go here" and it's up to the Fireteam Leader to then decide the most effective way of getting their fireteam there. In this scenario, the men will rely on the leadership of their FTL far more than the SL. Overall, the success of the mission is due just as much to the FTL as much as it is to the SL who's organizing them.
              | | |

Comment

I've found the best thing to do is to just do it. If you make a mistake, learn from it, talk about it with those that you were leading and try to improve.

You can also read books about leadership. It sounds strange, but reading out good leaders and how they lead, will help you become a better leader (in game or out).

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeden View Post
                  You can also read books about leadership. It sounds strange, but reading out good leaders and how they lead, will help you become a better leader (in game or out).
                  QFT. This is, indeed, the most truthful statement about leadership I have read. Strive to emulate leaders you've read about, seen on television, movies, etc...eventually, you will incorporate the best of those qualities into yourself.
                  | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X